3/13/19

A Day for Blocks

All the monthly sew-along blocks are finished now, and I can head south with a clear conscience. Not that my conscience would have been anything but clear. I only mention it to fool you into thinking there's some sort of morality in my sewing room. There isn't. Projects get started willy-nilly without a care for how many years it will take to bring them to completion. Think of it as rogue sewing.

The Day was set aside to do two blocks for the CTC Sewalong. These are the Countdown to Christmas blocks published in the Moda Bake Shop just before Christmas last year. Originally they were all done in red and white, but I'm on a quest to use some of my blue and green scraps. I'm thinking of calling this quilt Forest and Stream, or Field and Stream, or Land and Sea, or something like that.

When I started sewing yesterday, I first cut the pieces for the 7th block, which is called "Festival." You can find the instructions for this block right here. I had the pieces cut . . .


when I remembered it was Tiny Tuesday, and I needed to do that one first. Yesterday's Tiny Tuesday was a wonky log cabin in a straight setting. That was pretty simple.


I've always sewn blocks like this without using any sort of foundation. Yesterday, I decided to see what all the hubbub was about, and so I ripped a page out of an old phone book and used that. It worked nicely, and the paper was easy enough to remove. So, okay...thanks for the tip, my friends.

With that finished, I could return to my previous block, already in progress. So, here we go..."Festival." It's a pretty block, and pretty easy to sew together.



The next block was a little trickier. This block is called "Special Gift." You can find the instructions right here. It used the "4 at a time no waste" method for making flying geese. That was simple enough, but it would have been helpful if the desired measurements had been listed. As it was, I kind of winged it with trimming and matching seams. I had it this far when it was time to make dinner.


These strips needed to be sewn together to fill in the pieces missing from the middle.


Mike wanted to do some packing after dinner, and that gave me some time to finish it off. It turned out okay despite the guesswork on the trimming.


When I went upstairs, I could see that Sadie is trying again to carry out a coups d'etat on the upper rung of the kitty pole. Smitty left his territory undefended again.


Also, a rainbow appeared, seemingly out of nowhere. There was no rain at our place, but we could see rain was falling in the valley.


Since we're getting ready to travel, we wanted to put some Advantage on the kitties before leaving. We'll be heading into warmer weather where fleas are going to be more wide awake than they are here. By putting it on a few days before we leave, we can avoid the wet necks and the smell. They like to go out and roll in the dirt after we've applied it...although they may find dirt in short supply right now. What we have is mud. Either way...

Want to see what a screaming banshee looks like?


Oh. My. Gosh. In our married life, we've loved and been owned by 13 cats...Sadie, being the 13th...and black. It sort of gives one pause, doesn't it? (Or is it "paws"?) Anyway...she is by far the most athletic, agile, and strongest cat we've ever owned. Also, she's the tiniest and most vulnerable in appearance and behavior. Don't let her diminutive stature and her short tail fool you. Just try getting a grip on her and doing something she doesn't want, and you will get an idea what it means to release the hounds of hell. We always clear everything from the smooth surface of our breakfast bar. We use that surface because there's nothing for her to get her claws into. She is so strong, she can escape from any grip if she can get her claws into some surface. Skin will do nicely, thank you. And she got me good last night. I had to let go of her or risk being torn to shreds.

This morning I put on my kevlar vest (also known as "an old denim jacket"), and got a really good grip on her, and we got it done. Sheesh. I'll start this morning cleaning the blood from the walls...mine, of course.

As for Himself...he's put us in the dog house. He's much more cooperative physically. As far as he's concerned, we will pay in a different way.

You no longer exist in my world...I have crossed you out. Oh wait...did someone say "treats"?



Yesterday morning I got a start on my new little redwork piece. Ordinarily, I would have started stitching with the quilt block. In this case, I started with the girl. This way, she'll be able to watch while I stitch her up.


She looks happy, no?

Today I need to make a trip to the grocery store and pack our food. Tomorrow I'll be packing clothing and other stuff. The countdown progresses.

11 comments:

Shirley said...

LOL your Sady and out Arya could be sisters, not only on looks (except for the short tail) but also on their temper. I have to be very quick in wrapping her in a towel, leaving only her head free, her eyes spitting fire and with neck hair raising scary growls and snares, and holding on tight to give her a flee drop or even worse, a de-wurming pill. I have to count my fingers on the way out. And 5 minutes later all’s forgotten when she sees me with her treat.

gpc said...

My one formerly-feral cat had that same quality. I used a bath towel to wrap and hold her during indignities and in between used it to pet and provide a bed for her and put treats on so that she was adequately confused when she saw it and not as able to anticipate my evil plans. She did find other ways to compensate for her inability to tear me to shreds, of course.

Pretty blocks! Sadly, I don't have the patience that you consistently display.

Safe travels! I envy you.

Unknown said...

I have one of those black and tortoise females too. She's 15, can't weigh more than 4 lbs but she is queen of 4 cats and she will tear you to shreds. She's never been able to retract her claws, the better to get stuck on the carpet and your face.

Jenny said...

Your writing made me smile.e when you said :projects get started whilly nilly here, sounds a bit like me!

quiltzyx said...

The tiny wonky log cabin is cute. Funny I was reading on a quilting thread on fbook & several people were excited that they had come across a phone book that they could use for foundation work. :)
Festival & Special Gift look great. I actually cut out the pieces to do my black, white & 1 color challenge block at work today. So when I get home tonight & can sew it up. Almost forgot - guild meeting is tomorrow! I need to dig up some green for my extra color tonight too. Wish me luck!
Wow! What a beautiful rainbow! We've been a bit inundated with Painted Lady butterflies on migration this week. You may see some on your trip down too. I understand they are on their way to Oregon.
I can see Sadie using her muscles to make a getaway. Hope you heal quickly...
Cute redwork too! She'll be keeping an eye on you for sure.

Sue said...

You might want to look at the two bottom (in the picture) outside squares...

piecefulwendy said...

I wondered about the two bottom outside squares on Festival too (sorry). Those greens and blues together are so pretty, and each block is so unique. It will be fun to see them altogether. Had to chuckle at Smitty's reaction to the flea treatment; Sadie's reaction does not sound fun at all. Yikes. Those claws hurt. That embroidery piece is cute! Enjoy your trip!

Michele said...

The blocks look great. I'm glad you finally won the wrestling match with Sadie.

Brown Family said...

Angel is our she devil! She is tiny, too but trying to catch her is hell cat!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on capturing the rainbow (photo) and getting some GREEN sewing done!!

Lyndsey said...

Picasso hates having his flea treatment and scratches a lot. Scamp has a soft tablet and a second tiny one for his worming tablet. He just eats them from your hand. He then looks very smug and whispers ' Mum loves me more than you' to Picasso. Phew I've nearly caught up with my blog reading. I'm taking a rest before following your journey.