2/8/19

A Near Finish

Possibly I could have dragged my feet a little more yesterday, but finally, early afternoon I got in gear and caught up on the housework I've been neglecting. This is the problem with putting housework before sewing. I don't want to do the housework, which means I don't get much sewing done. On the other hand, if I put sewing before housework, the housework will never get done. Possibly I could start a new trend with that...or maybe there's nothing new about it. What do you think?

Okay, so anyway...when I finally got into the sewing room, I sewed two more rows to the Rainbow Jubilee quilt.


It wasn't long before the cat of darkness showed up.

What are you making? Something for me?



No? Well, why bother then?



Honestly...sewing is so boring.



Sewing is so boring, it makes my eyes glaze over.



I'll just hang out here while you finish.



Your eyes are getting heavy....verrrrry heavy....


She napped there until it was time for her dinner. Cat hypnosis. It works every time.

From there, I sewed another two rows together. There are two more to sew today, and then I'll have a finished flimsy.


Yesterday's mail had a fun package from Persimon Dreams. It was the prize package for winning the Viewer's Choice in the Red, White, and Blue challenge for Project Quilting. This is my quilt, called "Feathers and Flurries."


My prize package included a really nice tote emblazoned with the Project Quilting emblem. Also, six fat quarters, a mini charm pack, thread, a little ruler and a rotary cutter. Quite a haul! Great stuff!


This morning I stitched the next inchy.


And now I'm going to do a few paper-worky things at my desk before getting at my morning slow-stitching on the last of the Snow Globes blocks.

Weather permitting, Matthew is coming up for dinner. He's leaving his van with us while he's in Guatemala for the next couple of months. I've read differing forecasts about the coming snow, and if it holds, he should be fine getting out of here tomorrow morning at 5:00 a.m. It's a good time to be hitting the road and heading south since we're expecting very cold temperatures through next week. We could have snow on the ground for quite a while.

With that in mind, I'm making a dessert to go with our dinner. Can't send off my kiddo without giving him something sweet, now can I? Aside from that, sewing all day. I should be able to finish the Rainbow Jubilee flimsy with no problem. Next up, I'm girding my loins to quilt the Hocuspocusville quilt. More on that later.

12 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

we sure are having fun with out little squares each day--(though I haven't done mine yet--just seen how to do today's a couple minutes ago!)
and your new quilt top is really pretty and cheerful--
and any excuse to make dessert is great!! and I pray the boy has a safe flights and safe trip--
luv, di

Marei said...

I'll take paper-worky stuff over housework any day of the week! And, of course, sewing trumps them both! I'm enjoying your string blocks with black/white backgrounds although I cobstruct mine a little differently. Matthew is going to love this. I hope you get your snow. We have more in the forecast for the next 6 days.

Marei said...

Construct....brand new word

Mary said...

I agree with you on the Housework vs Sewing first routine. If I tell myself sewing first the poor ole house never gets finished. LOL Good thing I live alone and only answer to myself.

Sally Trude said...

In our household, the choice seems to be between sewing and disrupting kitten science experiments and paper shredding projects.

Respectfully,

Molly

Brown Family said...

Nice prize package. It looks just right to do another challenge quilt!

mangozz said...

What a nice, fun prize package you won! I feel the same way about housework. It often gets bypassed for sewing. The good thing is that I live alone and don't really have to answer to anyone.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm with you on the housework vs. quilting seesaw. I finally did some cleaning yesterday too; not too much, don't want to overdo, y'know. I hope Matthew got in the air okay. Not much sewing here today, as I'm going to my first meeting of the Minnesota Quilters. Will be fun to see what that's about. I will likely do some sewing later today.

Frog Quilter said...

Love your new quilt top. So happy looking and cheerful. The recipient will love it. It it for you?

Nancy said...

Was Matthew able to get to the airport? We had 3 inches right across the river.

Angie in SoCal said...

I have to do housework before sewing or it never gets done. Love your string quilt, and your embroidery is precious. Hope the snow does not impact Matthew's travels. Stay warm.

quiltzyx said...

Matthew's van quilt is looking swell - did he get to see the flimsy before he took off for the airport?