2/7/19

Frosty Morning

When I came upstairs to write this post, I checked the temperature outside. It's a chilly 26°F. And I imagine that won't impress you Midwest people, but it's about as cold as we get here in the Pacific Northwest. I've seen it colder. Only once have I seen it dip into the single digits, and that was back in the late 1980's when I waited at a bus stop in weather that was a cool 6°F. To be clear, it isn't an experience I wish to repeat.

It was after noon by the time I did anything sewing related yesterday. The morning started with a trip to the grocery store where I nearly brained myself on an open deli counter door. Try to picture this: There's the deli counter where you can find all the lunch meats available for slicing. A picture is worth a thousand words, and so I borrowed this one from the internet. (Don't worry. I'll return it as soon as I'm finished.)


Now imagine that below is an open refrigerated case where packaged meats are stored. It's about knee high on me. I was looking for some pancetta and not really paying attention to the guy standing beside me. As it turns out, he was working on the open deli case door, which  lifts up from the bottom. The thin glass of the door was precisely level with my eyes, and my eyes didn't register the approximately quarter-inch thick glass. I was looking at it from the edge on, and I just didn't see it. When I bent over to pick up the item I was searching for, I bashed my forehead on the door good and proper. Yeesh. It really was my fault for not paying closer attention, but that guy has no idea how close he came to being murdered.

So that got my day off to a good start, don'tcha know. My list was short, but honestly, how could I do any housework with such a dire injury...especially one not visible to anyone else, which means you get absolutely no sympathy. I rest my case. I assuaged my hurting head (not to mention my hurting pride) by spending the rest of the afternoon sewing.

My current mission is to sew the Rainbow Jubilee blocks into a finished flimsy. This is my February OMG. I was able to sew two of eight rows together yesterday:


Of course, I couldn't have accomplished this without my color consultant cat.


Sitting next to that box was just a little too much for him. Eventually, he had to demonstrate the First Law of Cattery: If I fits, I sits.


Putting a box near a cat is a little like asking Roger Rabbit to resist the Shave and a hair cut, two bits, knocking. And if you have no idea what I'm talking about, then you probably never saw the movie, "Who Killed Roger Rabbit?" Here's a video just to remind you:


And if you can't see the video, then click right here.

When I finished for the day, I had the third row trimmed and squared up, ready for sewing today.


Okay, so the only other thing I did yesterday was to trace out the final block for the Snow Globes quilt. The last three days have been spent hand-sewing bindings, and so I'm glad to get back to my embroidery projects.


This morning, I started stitching it. The morning's efforts were devoted to using up the leftover bits of floss from last time.


Also, I stitched the 7th inchy for the National Embroidery Month sampler.


Today I'll get busy on the housekeeping chores I didn't do yesterday, but there will be plenty of time for working on the Rainbow Jubilee quilt too. Possibly, I can get it sewn together today, but no promises.

We've been receiving weather alerts for a "significant snow event" starting tonight and extending into next week. I'm happy for the snow, but I'm hoping it won't throw a snow shovel into Matthew's plans to fly out of Portland for Guatemala on Saturday. Ordinarily our airport doesn't close except for ice, but one never knows. His flight is for Saturday, and so hopefully, if there are delays, they will be over, up and running by Saturday. Fingers crossed.

11 comments:

Sharon said...

Barbara,

Your embroidery is so beautiful. I especially love the Snow Globes you are doing. May I ask where you got the snowflake fabric you are doing the embroidery on? I enjoy your blog so much and read it every day.

Barbara said...

Sharon, I'm sorry, but you are no-reply. Send me an email, and I'll tell you what I know about the fabric. (Have to look it up in the meantime.)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

OUCH!!! Although I think the fellow should have warned you he moved the door. Ah, Smitty, a kitty after my own heart. You and Moe could be distant cousins. Love this string quilt!

Kate said...

Oh ouch! Hope your head didn't hurt for too long. Maybe you didn't see it, but I would think the store would pay more attention to hazards like that. Of course I work in an industry where hazard recognition is critical, that's probably not the case with a deli counter repair guy. Hope the snow hasn't been as bad as predicted and Matthew plans are still a strong go.

piecefulwendy said...

Well, I'm glad you didn't start bleeding from the whole incident. That would've been even worse. I do remember Who Killed Roger Rabbit, so that clip sure brings up a memory. Smitty is taking good care of that box. Wilbur hasn't slowed down enough, nor discovered boxes yet. He has, however, discovered the fun of chewing on electrical cords, much to my dismay. And last night, he thought it might be fun to help me take the pins out of the armchair where I had poked them. That was my fault, and no pins were ingested, thankfully. Hope you get warmer weather and do hope Matthew gets on his way without too much headache!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Lucky you weren't seriously hurt, sounds like you could have had a bad cut on your eye or a concussion! I remember Roger Rabbit, that clip is one of the funniest parts of the movie, LOL!! The embroidery piece is going to be wonderful.

SJSM said...

Snow! I hope it is a beautiful wonderland with clear roads. Time to stock the larder and pile the wood near the door. Though I think you don’t have a wood fireplace so that isn’t a task on the list. Perhaps insulating pipes and plants might be as well as feeding the birds.

Loving that string quilt for Mathew. Made it to another good day yesterday on fitbit. Sure am tired after all the walking this week. Time for a rest. Hope the household tasks are short so you can sew away.

Brown Family said...

I hate it when I do something as silly as walking or bending into a solid object. They kept saying er were getting snow today and tomorrow, but it appears to all be south of us. South of us as in Austin! No bog goes empty in my house! There is usually a kitty in it!

kc said...

OUCH! son of a biscuit! or whatever you choose. That must have smarted. Love those inchies though. Glad the impact didn't mess with your eyeballs!

I did something similar, I think, probably around the same time and day....I had the audacity to walk down the hallway, to the bedroom at the same time hubby decided to come out of the library (you know, the personal one). And, apparently, he must have forgotten to turn on the fan, because he came a-bustin' out that door. That wooden door. With the very sharp corners. THE ONE REAL WOODEN DOOR we have in this blasted bucket of bolts! Threw my arm up to protect my face, and what happened? That sharp edge smacked me right on the wrist bone. Waited a day during which the pain only got worse, and next morning decided we should go looking for an X-ray machine.

Luckily, nothing broken, just bruised. With the admonishment that gravity is not my friend, and it's liable to get worse before it gets better. Luckily, it's already getting better, with only one day of worse. :)

Hope you keep power so that you can sew in the snow, if you happen to get any of it. Stay warm and well!! Love to all. BTW...Matthew going to Guatemala? I must go back and find that post...sounds interesting.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've never seen Roger Rabbit, but I do know the shave and a hair cut knock (& song). Hope your head is better now.

quiltzyx said...

Ah, Roger Rabbit! Now I need to watch the whole thing again...

Glad you were not more gravely injured by the deli case. Ouch. :(

You still got a lot of work done!