2/27/19

Chickens

We're all chickens here. The weather outside has been frightful. The kitties really, really, really wanted to go outside yesterday. Each time I opened the door for them, they were hit with a blast of cold air that discouraged them stepping outside with even one paw. Snow is falling again this morning, and Smitty is watching it with curiosity.


It was a good day to stay inside and sew. I finished off the 9th Tiny Tuesday block. The "peel" was supposed to be applique, but mine is inset. It seemed like a good opportunity to practice the technique I learned from Dawn White a couple of years ago.


This one is straight set. Here are the nine blocks I have so far:


After that, I finished off the last two Chicken Buffet blocks. Here's "Chicken Cacciatore."


Here's "Chicken Italiano."


They've been so much fun to make, I'm kind of sorry to have them all finished. The pieces are cut for sewing this into a flimsy, but it will need to wait its turn in line behind three other sets of finished blocks. Here are the 12 blocks all together now.


There is some beading to do on the Chicken Divan block in the upper right. I'll probably wait until I have it quilted to add those.

I saw two pictures of last night's red sunset that were taken by others. We were looking north and missed it. Nevertheless, I did get a shot of the two mountains with a pink cast in the sky. Looking at the weather outside, I'd say this debunks the whole "Red sky at night, sailors' delight" idiom.


This morning's inchy was a little bit hard. The one Meg Hawkey posted was a nice star shaped flower, while mine is kind of a bearded iris. I wasn't sure where to bring the needle in and out for the five cast-on stitches. Oh well. It's good enough, I think. Just one more inchy to go, and then the two blank squares.


Mike is working from home again today. Roads are icy. I was supposed to go into town for a pedicure, but I rescheduled that.


My friend Dorothy asked for the link to the Cheesy Potato Soup from yesterday, and there it is. It's a recipe from the Cooking Light Diet, and it was pretty good. It would have been better with bacon, but, you know... the diet. After a month of gluttony in February, we're getting serious about our diet again. We've been on this diet for about 300 years now, I think, but our commitment waxes and wanes. This week, it's all diet all the time.

As for the rest of the day, I don't really know what I'll end up sewing, but I'm very tempted to get going on sewing together the blocks for Tuxedo Tales.


They're next on the list to sew into a flimsy. I don't know if I have the fabrics I'll need, so it might have to be something else...maybe the Snow Globes...


I know I have the fabrics for those, and so they might get to cut into line. It's hard to say what will happen today, but sewing will be involved.

16 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

You're working on so many beautiful projects. So nice you have wonderful things to work on while you stay warm and safe from the snow, ice and cold.

Sally Trude said...

Molly asks to have a window open so she can appreciate the snow while watching for hummingbirds. She then crawls into her heated bed while Buddy and I develop frostbite (metaphorically). So I close the window. Then Molly goes to the window and ... rinse, repeat.

Julierose said...

Your chicken quilt is so funny and your sewing on it is beautiful...
So many lovely quilts in line--
we are supposed to get snow tonight..so far we haven't had any major snowstorms--which is fine by me...hoping this will remain a little one, too
hugs, julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

Snowing here today too, though your sunset was far prettier! Chicken blocks are a hoot, and I love the batik background blocks. Probably because I have the same batiks in the stash, somewhere. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Will have to try that soon.

Dorothy said...

Thank you for the link for the Cheesy Potato Soup. Behind breakfast, soup is my favorite meal of the day. But of course, both have to include bacon, :-)

SJSM said...

On the chicken cacciatore I keep seeing the word "slider" in the batik to the left of the hat on the chicken. Cracks me up with the baseball theme. 225 calories for a cup of soup. I will have to think about that if I am particularly hungry. I copied the recipe to keep on hand. Cheese isn’t something I eat a lot of but I do love it. Though a cup of cheese for 225 is a steal. Nice set of blocks waiting to be put together. Looking forward to your flimsy treatment.

piecefulwendy said...

Chickens and Tuxedo Tales, two of my favorite of your quilts! That weather doesn't look pleasant at all, and I'm not surprised the kitties chose to stay in. Our weather is turning bitterly cold now, with some snow coming tomorrow. I actually went out and about yesterday; my first time leaving the house in a week! Yikes. Can't believe your little inchies are almost done!

bcarlf said...

I just love all the things you are working on. They are so cheerful. I don't do any embroidery and am amazed at the little inches you are doing. I am tempted to try but don't know if I have the patience, not to mention the skills required. I used to do cross-stitch, but my eyes have gotten much worse and it is hard to keep track of those little x's. Thanks for all the beautiful photos your post. I look forward to seeing them - including your kitties!

Brenda

quiltzyx said...

Look at all those lovely bunches of finished blocks! Wow!

Today I would love to just go home & have some soup & bread & hit the sack...but I will be baby-sitting 4 INCREDIBLY spoiled dogs for the night. 3 Dachshunds plus 1 Yorkie. Oh lordy!!! I stopped by there last night so Mary Ann could give me some stuff & they all sang me the song of their people. It was deafening! lol But at least Mary Ann & Bill will be home in the morning. Their oldest grandson got married today, & they opted to spend the night tonight down in the Temecula area so they could party more.

Kate said...

You've been really, really productive. Love your chicken blocks! Those are just too fun. Looking forward to seeing what you do with your kitty blocks and the snow globes. Hopefully the snow will be ending soon. We are supposed to get 1 to 3 inches of the white stuff tomorrow, along with below 0 wind chills. I think the sewing room sounds like a great place to be this weekend.

Kathy's A Quilter said...

You have sew much wonderful content!! I love them all, but actually gave a snort to Chicken Catchatori. That is way too funny.

Mari said...

Great tiny blocks! I'm thinking of setting all mine straight. I laughed out loud at the chickens. What fun!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Tiny Tuesday blocks are so pretty and colorful! The chicken blocks are a lot of fun, too. I always enjoy your scenery shots - what a great view of the mountains!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That sunset photo has all the makings of a beautiful art quilt!!

Brown Family said...

Beautiful sky and mountains! So many blocks to set into flimsy!

Lyndsey said...

I like the tiny Tuesday blocks and must get back to making them. You have so many beautiful projects close to completion. You've had so much snow this year. There is a bit of me that is rather jealous but then I remember the cold and the difficulty when driving and just enjoy your snowy pictures.