1/14/19

One Week, Three Finishes

My personal and unannounced goal in January is to finish three small quilts from the quilts-to-be-quilted pile. Threads of Hope for Project Quilting was just a fun diversion. As for the quilts-to-be-quilted pile, two are now finished: Going Bananas, and the newest, Lucky Charm. This is my adaptation of a free pattern I found on Canoe Ridge Creations. My version ended up at 22 x 22 inches.


I love table toppers and table runners, and I've been endeavoring to have one of each for every conceivable season and holiday. This is one for St. Patrick's Day. I had some ideas about how to quilt it, but it really all came together as I was going along. I used a white YLI quilting thread on top.


A green variegated thread from Threadart in the bobbin.


And I don't know if you guys care about the thread names and colors, but I post these images for my own reference as much as anything else. Sometimes I look back to see where a thread came from or to get a color number so I can reorder.


So I was settled on quilting the Spiral Clover from Lori Kennedy's blog in the three green clover leaf sections. Although I practiced several times, it was difficult to get the "leaves" spaced correctly and sized equally. The leaf on the left side always wanted to stray too far away from the other two. Nevertheless, I got 'er done. Having the fabric strips helped gauge the positioning of everything.


Here's how it looks from the back.


I really didn't know what to do in the stem section, and so I just winged it with this design. It's uninspired, but it works.


In the borders, I did a motif that was meant to be suggestive of clover leaves. They didn't space out just right so that I could do one in the corner. The corners just got a big loop.


The outer border is done the same way, but I turned it the other direction.


Once I decided on the motifs for each section, it quilted up pretty quickly.


Here's how it looks from the back:


I had a nice bright green quarter yard scrap to use for the binding.


It took about an hour to hand-stitch it, and that puppy was finished.


Here's how it looks from the back.


Also yesterday, I made a good bit of progress on the Let's RV cross stitch piece. I'd missed my stitching time the day before, and so I gave myself extra time to work on it. Now, the whole right side is finished, and that's the last I'll use the red floss. There are a few little mistakes in this. Sometimes I miscount and sometimes I forget to stitch a line somewhere. I'm not accustomed to looking at cross-stitch patterns, and so my mistakes come from misinterpreting things rather than carelessness. So far, nothing has bothered me enough to fix it.


Now I've moved the hoop. There are some words to stitch across the top before I move to the left side. Here's how it looks so far.


For dinner last night, Mike smoked some Cornish game hens in his Traeger smoker/grill. Mike has never taken much interest in cooking, but the Traeger seems to have awakened the caveman in him. He's been spending quite a bit of time looking at smoking recipes, and these Cornish hens were his latest creation. I've asked him to send me the recipe he used so I can add it to my database and share it with you. These were really good. The brine made them so moist and flavorful, and the smoking makes them beautiful.


As a side dish, I roasted some sweet potatoes like baked potatoes. These have a "hot honey browned butter" that goes with them. It's one of my favorite ways to eat sweet potatoes, and it's a good stand-in for traditional baked russet potatoes. You can find the recipe for Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Hot Honey Browned Butter right here. It sure makes my sewing day last longer when he takes over in the kitchen.

It's been cold and windy here, although there has been no rain. I had every intention of getting out for a walk yesterday, but it was so danged cold outside, I couldn't bring myself to leave the house. Sadie knows what to do:


Smitty just hangs out on his kitty pole looking out the window.

Wake me up when it's summer.



Today I really am going to get a walk in, but it might be on the treadmill. There's nothing on the calendar in the way of housekeeping chores, and so it's going to be another NBS day. On today's agenda, I'll be getting after that last row of blocks for the Shop Hop quilt. It'll be good to have that one sewn into a completed flimsy.

What's going on for your Monday?

11 comments:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

well- first I did some counted cross stitching-and my daily Inchy (hexie) and then I organized the Inchy supplies and the cross stitch supplies and put them in a tote bag as I need my little table to do some larger prep for some other projects and I even got one project all ready to stitch--It was only 8 degrees out this morning at 8 am--(they said it felt like only 2 degrees) cold!!!!
luv, di

Julierose said...

Your St. Paddy's day tabletopper is just so lovely--I like the fabrics--nice greens--they can be tough sometimes I think, but yours are nice and rich.
I am going to make tabletoppers for holidays too this year..I need an easter one and the purples i just got for our Stone soup sew a long may be the start...purple and yellow--veddy Easterish...
It's waaay too cold here to walk outside today..instead, I did our new recumbent bike--which I just love by the way..30 minutes, so not too shabby...;)))
I also prepped three sets of nine patches and one Snowball block...I will sew tomorrow hopefully,,,(lord willing and the creek don't rise!!)
Hugs, Julierose

Lyndsey said...

Love the table topper, it will be great for St Patrick's day. I with the kitties, if it's cold outside snuggle up for a nap.

djquilting said...

Your table topper turned out so cute. You really do a good job with the quilting on your DSM. Today has been a clean up day for me. We were out of town for a few days and I still have Christmas stuff that has not been packed up yet. Also got distracted by a squirrel that turned into wonky Christmas log cabin blocks. Doris

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The topper came out sweet - I use terms like loopty doo and squiggle piggily, so there ya go. My furkids took turns napping within the 'leaf pile' of scraps on the table as I dug around them today. Made for a much mor fun day - then I had to scurry my Mom off to the Drs as they called - he was alarmed at the last home nurse's report.

crazy quilter said...

I think your clover quilt is fabulous! I have a green mini I hang for St Patties day but it was a purchase from the mini auction at the guild I used to belong to, made by my good friend so I had to bid on it and I won! The cross stitch is looking so good. I think you are too hard on yourself because I see no errors on it at all.i was an avid cross stitcher many years go so I totally understand missing things in the patterns. The Cornish hens sure look appetizing, I think you should just turnover the cooking to Mike since he does such a wonderful
Job and it leaves more sewing time. A win win all the way I say. It has been cold in Texas as well , walking the dog has been miserable so we have been cutting the walk time short. Enjoy your NBS tomorrow.

piecefulwendy said...

My daughter is flying back to Florida today, so I'm going to drown my sad face in a bunch of sewing. I need to get a pattern drawn and sent to my SIL for her shop, begin work on a mini quilt project for another group, and continue to tackle the Moda Blockheads. If there's time, I need to finish cutting the fabric for the MN Mystery Quilt too. Love your little shamrock mini. Perfect for St. Patrick's Day!

Sharon said...

I love your St. Patrick's Day table topper. I also like to make table runners and table toppers. There are so many cute patterns out there. Your cross stitch is looking great. I used to do lots of cross stitch, and looking at your project makes me want to do some again. Thanks, Barbara, for your wonderful blog.

Brown Family said...

We like baked sweet potatoes. I may have to try your recipe.

quiltzyx said...

Your shamrock topper came out great and the cross-stitch embroidery is looking mighty fine.
Oh my does the smoked Cornish game hen & sweet potato look good! I love baked/roasted sweet potatoes. I tried to look at the recipe to see what the Hot Honey Browned Butter consisted of, but they wanted me to sign in. oh well.
We had FOUR WHOLE DAYS of rain this last week!! It was lovely. It's clear & supposed to be about 70* today.

Kate said...

Congrats on the finish! It turned out beautifully. Now you are all ready for St. Pats Day, which will probably be here way before I'm ready!