1/13/19

A No-Sewing Day

It wasn't completely a no-sewing day because I took time to sew the binding on my challenge quilt. That was the only sewing I did all day, however. It was a day to catch-up on all the things I put off so I could sew last week. You might think of it as a day of balancing the scales.

It was chilly yesterday, but sunny. It's the best kind of winter day. We get so much rain in the Pacific Northwest. Seeing the sun for a day or two is a welcome respite from the gray. After I finished up with my housework, I took my shadow self out for a walk. My shadow self only comes around on sunny days.


Right away, we spotted these daffodils. Silly flowers. Don't they know it's only January?


With so much rain, things are very green. When the sun comes out, we can see the moss growing on everything. Yesterday's photo-a-day prompt was "Something beginning with 'T'." I chose these tree branches covered in moss.


This little vine is growing under some of our fir trees. The sun shining through the leaves caught my eye.


Those were all the pictures I took along the way, except for these cats.


I really hope this isn't one of those households that leaves its cats outside 24/7. That would make me sad. Such pretty cats, and they look cold. Somebody open the door and let them in!

As I mentioned yesterday, Matthew came by for dinner last night. We had lasagna. And I can't possibly have my kid over for dinner without making dessert, now can I? So I made this Lemon Cheesecake Mousse. This is such a tasty and light dessert...not light on calories, mind you. Nevertheless, it goes down so nice after a big meal.


This will be at least the third time I've linked to the recipe. You can find it right here. There is no cooking involved, unless you count melting the butter. If you never try a single other recipe I post, you must try this one. It is seriously good. It makes a lot of bowls though...you'll need four bowls to make it. The recipe calls for regular graham cracker crumbs. I only had cinnamon graham crackers, and so I used them. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference.

So that was a sweet finish to a busy day. No sewing, but busy nonetheless. If it's another nice day today, I'll get out for another walk. But I'm caught up on housework for now, and so it's going to be an NBS kind of day...the best kind.

5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think a lot of us have bulbs that are fooled and then yesterday I noticed an elm tree is showing signs of early budding - now it has done this before and never goes any further almost like it knows it will get cold again

Julierose said...

Lovely photos--especially your shadow walking with you...
Quiet day on the sewing front today--just a few little 9-patches for fun
and to use up some charms I bought ages ago...trying to whittle them down...
hugs, Julierose

Suze said...

Barbara, I've been suffering in a deep depression for quite a long time, so I'm trying to find something positive to say - thus - at least the three kitties are huddled together for some warmth. They do look healthy and as if they are waiting for someone to let them in the house. My therapist is encouraging me to get a dog for company. I saw your recipe for Lemon Cheescake Mouse. I'll have to see if my daughter and I can make that. She doesn't do much cooking. Her husband does most of it and she does the cleanup. I live in OK and she live in NM. Her brother live is AR. She called me Saturday to see if she could come stay with me and if it would be OK if she went to visit her dad. We don't talk about him at all. So, she's coming Thursday night and going home Monday night. She hasn't been home in 2 1/2 years. That tells me that she's terribly worried about her mom (and her dad). He fell from a seizure in August and had a rebuild of a right pelvis. Our son stayed with me most of the time he was in the hospital. The last time she was home was for the wedding of her best friend, so it was just a fast trip. I don't know if you have Taco Bueno. That's her favorite fast food restaurant. They did have one in Albuquerque and I think it's gone. So, I've been forwarned that we'll be going there - LOTS. As far as sewing, I find sewing the binding down, very, very calming as long as it doesn't have points. Thanks for the recipe.

piecefulwendy said...

As I'm reading this, I have a cat on my chest. Yes, I have a large enough chest for that, unfortunately. He loves to be up close to my face, nose to nose, if he has his way. Anyway, your walk looked nice. That dessert, I definitely need to make that one. Spending the day with my daughter today before she heads back tomorrow. Might sneak in some sewing though. We'll see.

Brown Family said...

THose sweet kitties do not look feral or like outside kitties, They are too clean and well fed! But is is still worrisome that they are outside in coyote country~