12/18/18

Wanted: One Ark

It's been raining hard non-stop since yesterday. The forecast was for three inches of rain over two days. Yikes. It's good to live on a hill. It was a good day for sewing yesterday, and that's pretty much the end of what was accomplished. First, I tidied up my floss bobbins with my start on the latest of the Friendship's Garden blocks.


Yesterday I was simply using up the bits of leftover floss. This morning, I'll get going on it in earnest with whole lengths of floss.

There was a little bit of housekeeping wedged into the space between hand and machine sewing. Back in the sewing room, I continued on making the background quilt for the Alley Cats Quilt Guild, starting with the three strips on the left and right sides.


Then I finished off with three borders all around.


Now it's ready for the appliqued cats, hearts, and stars. I spent some time sorting through my button tin looking for buttons appropriate for the cats' eyes. Here's how the quilt will look. The image below is from the cover of the pattern. Each tuxedo cat also has a little collar and a nose. These cats have noses in various shades of red.


I selected some pink for mine since everyone knows that some kitties have pink noses.


That's an old picture of him. I doubt he fits in that bed any more.

Yesterday's mail contained a mystery package. I finally tracked down the sender to my friend Debi from high school who lives in southern California. The city on the return address gave her away, although I did have to think about who I knew still living there. Debi sent a beautiful cat panel. The image below doesn't do justice to the beautiful colors in this panel. There are some gold metallic accents.


Also, some dark chocolate sea salt caramels. Yum! I only ate two and then wished for more. These will be so good with my afternoon cup of espresso.


Thank you, Debi, my dear friend. Who knew we'd ever get so old when we were in high school? I sure didn't.

And since this little cat has been making herself scarce in the Clubhouse during all this rain, I figured y'all would be Jonesing for a picture of Miss Sadie. When I left her to come upstairs to write this post, she looked like this. Pretty darned cozy for a cat who used to live outdoors...with a litter of kittens. I'm so happy she has a furever home now.


I'm hoping to get a start on the Alley Cat appliques today, but it's going to be a busy day. I'm heading out early (for me) to run a couple of errands before getting my hair permed. And you know I hate getting my hair permed, but I love the perm. It's the only thing that gives my fine straight hair some life. It'll be well after noon by the time I get home, so I'm not sure how much I can get accomplished in the time left in the day. We shall see, won't we? Fortunately, I have some leftovers to warm up for dinner, and that will save me some time.

What are the rest of y'all doing on this one-week-before-Christmas Tuesday?

10 comments:

Julierose said...

I like how your Tuxedo kitties are coming along...
I am on enforced rest today as my back went out yesterday--NOT good timing...icing/heating pad/irritated/ need I say more? AAARGH!!
Anyway--hope you are getting all your stuff done.
.hugs, Julierose akaGrumperina;000

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love the new little kitty piece and your choice of colors for their quilt making. Yes, pink noses are for furkids not red. I see you are on the heavy rain front as we are on the extreme cold/wind/snow side of this weather pattern.

Quilting Tangent said...

Your Tuxedo cats, look like they are at a quilting bee.

Chris K. said...

Maybe perms have changed and this isn't a problem anymore, but I once ruined one by being out in the rain right after.

Sandra W said...

Yes Sadie looks pretty content and happy. It must make you feel good.
My deceased cat had that same cat bed. He fit the whole thing and the rolled edge kept his slim self nicely contained.
Those candies in the mail look homemade--another plus. The cat panel is quite unusual too. I wober what you will do with it.

Jean Etheridge said...

I am a reader in Alabama. I just wanted to let you know I so enjoy your blog - your writing, your quilts, your commentary on travels and daily life. Thank you!

piecefulwendy said...

I have a few canoes -- will that help? I'm grabbing a paddle, will be there soon, if I can just get through this little bit of snow/mud/yuck we have here. Save one of those sea salt caramels for me! Seriously, I'm looking forward to seeing the applique of those cute kitties. Sadie looks a bit like I felt when I had to get out of bed this morning; I was tempted to just sleep a bit more! Today I'm going to put a facing on my strips runner, and contemplate a name for the quilt. Once that is done, we'll see. All my Christmas sewing is done, most of my gifts are wrapped. I do need to do some baking, but not today. I'm going to put a ham in the crockpot for dinner, so I can sew, sew, sew today!

mangozz said...

That tuxedo cat pattern is adorable! I've never seen it before. I understand your hair problem, as mine is extra fine also. I used to get it permed at one time and I hated the stinking process.

kc said...

If you could spare some room in the ark, you've got 3 more takers! We got 8 inches, in 21 hours of downpour. Today was only 5 inches in 12 hours! Thank goodness it's our dry season! When we got to this park, the grass was brown and crispy, and there were cracks in the ground. And all the catch basins were empty. That is no longer the case! We are going to pull our sides in tonight, in anticipation of 25mph winds all night.

Sadie sure looks comfy and cozy; I'm sure she is thankful you came into her life. I hope Bailey is happy with us as well.

You've got a great start On your new quilt

Brown Family said...

I have that cat panel and the coordinating fabric, too. I stumbled across ii in today's downsizing . I have gotten rid of so much stuff that I was never going to use!