12/28/18

A Look Backward and Forward

It's good to look back and see how far we've come, don't you think? Today I'm showing the quilts that were finished in 2018. Keep in mind we didn't get home from our trip until the end of March. One little doll quilt was finished while we were on the road, but the rest were all after we got home. I've been trying to catch up on the 7 months where nothing moved along at all...except us...we were definitely on the move. There's been quite a bit of progress, but still a number of old, old projects I'd dearly love to get off my list.

So, let's just start with the finishes for 2018. Here we go:



Meowvelous Mini
from the Marvelous Mini Monday Challenge
by Temecula Quilt Company
started 6/20/17 and finished 2/10/18
31 x 24 inches
traditional piecing, free motion quilted on my domestic machine
~~~



Bitty Bow Ties
a mini quilt 10 x 6 inches
started 4/6/18 and finished 4/8/18
traditional piecing, straight line quilted on my domestic machine
~~~



So Yelo
a mug rug
pattern by Sher Hastings of Sher's Creative Space
started and finished 4/18-19/18
~~~



Chinese Zodiac
a charity quilt for Quilts for Kids
started 4/16/18 and finished 4/23/18
38 x 44 inches
traditional piecing and straight line quilting
~~~



Santa's Village
a collage wallhanging
using the "Happy Villages" technique by Karen Eckmeier
started 4/28/18 and finished 5/11/18
for the RV Quilters "any holiday" challenge on Facebook
16 x 16 inches
~~~



A Quiltmaker's Garden
started 5/29/13 and finished 5/29/18
published in five parts from Quiltmaker magazine to celebrate
Quiltmaker's 30th Anniversary
free motion quilting, traditional piecing, paper piecing
and fusible applique
72 x 94 inches
~~~



Pawtrait of Todd
started and finished 6/14-20/18
fusible applique and free motion quilted
17 x 16 inches
~~~



Working for Peanuts
original design from my own photograph
using the technique of Ruth McDowell
first attempt without the guidance of an instructor
started 6/22/17 and finished 7/26/18
29 x 32 inches
~~~



Summer Holiday
a wallhanging from Lynette Anderson's book
It's Quilting Cats and Dogs
started 8/31/16 and finished 8/14/18
traditional piecing, free motion quilting, hand embroidery
35 x 35 inches
~~~



100% Cat Lover
a mug rug
embroidery design by Robin Kingsley of Birdbrain Designs
made for my swap partner in the Teal Mini Quilt Swap
a fundraiser for ovarian cancer
started 8/29/18 and finished 9/3/18
hand embroidery, straight line quilting
10 x 10 inches
~~~



Welcome Home
a mini quilt mystery from Kathleen Tracy
started 2/3/17 and finished 9/11/18
31 x 31
traditional piecing, free motion quilting
~~~



Starry Night
a wall hanging 
combination of patterns from Sher Hastings Designs and Patchabilities
started and finished 9/24-27/18
15 x 18 inches
raw-edged applique, free motion quilting
~~~



The More the Marinarier
a table topper
printed fabric blocks from Old American Antiques
started 4/12/18 and finished 10/31/18
17 x 21 inches
~~~



Wonky Windowpanes
a mini quilt from Teeny-Tiny Quilts, a book by Donna Lynn Thomas
started 11/25/18 and finished 11/29/18
10 x 10 inches
~~~



Wind in the Whiskers
started 8/29/13 and finished 12/26/18
a Block of the Month project from McKenna Ryan
fusible applique, free motion quilting, and bead embellishment
65 1/2 x 62 1/2
~~~

Okay, so not a bad showing for just a partial year's access to my sewing room. My finished list includes two quilts that were the most dreaded in my sewing room. It 's great to have those two behind me. Any guesses which the ones they were? 

Now let's look ahead to 2019, shall we? I'm using the form provided by All People Quilt for their 2019 UFO Challenge. Some folks are doing both a quilting and piecing challenge, and I kind of like that idea. There are a number of quilts on the quilts-to-be-quilted pile. Those will take me through the whole year. I'm hopeful I'll finish more than one per month because some of them are small. Here is a list of the quilts I'd like to finish off in 2019:


And, yes, they aren't yet sandwiched for quilting, but they will be by the time 2019 rolls around.

Also, there are quilts on my WIPS list that I'd for sure like to get to flimsy stage or beyond, and so here's my second list of goals:


See, and this is how I defeat the Grim Reaper (or in this case, the Grim Ripper). 


If he comes for me, I'll just tell him I can't go because I'm not through my lists yet. Clever, huh? I'm telling you, the woman is always thinking.

Edited to say that I'm linking up with @2019PlanningParty hosted by Quilting Jetgirl.

2019 Planning Party

Click on that image to head over to the party and see what others have in store for their new year of quilting.

Today I'll be walking with Sue, and after that...back to work (sound of whip cracking). Better get busy if I'm going to finish all of those.

11 comments:

gpc said...

Very, VERY impressive. I was happy to complete a dozen flimsies in 2018 but I had most of them sandwiched and quilted by others, so I am way behind, both in skill and accomplishment. You are still my Quilty Hero.

Julierose said...

What a beautifully creative year you had..;))
Hugs, Julierose

tigerdog said...

I have been following you for some time and love your blog. You amaze me how much you accomplish with all you do. I too am a quilter and love stitching. I love your creative flair. Lynn

crazy quilter said...

Quite a list you have there! But I know you can do all of them. I applaud your ability to finish. Enjoy, now( sound of whip cracking) get cracking. Happy new year

Sandra W said...

Did you forget your Gingerbread quilt? And its quilt shop win? Or was the the previous year?

piecefulwendy said...

You have had a great year, finishing a fun variety of quilts. All those quilts and only half the time in your sewing room. Love it! Happy New Year to you and your family, Barbara!

Kate said...

For only having 7 months, you did really well on the all the finishes. You have some gorgeous quilts and some fun quilts on that list. Good luck with your 2019 goals.

Quilter Kathy said...

I'm going to make a list too... not as organized as yours, but it will be a start!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Using the All People Quilt form and challenge for quilting and piecing is a great idea. I hope that you have a lot of quilting fun as you work on your project. Thank you for linking up with the Planning Party!

Brown Family said...

So many cute quilts! Lots of sewing in just a few months!

Michele said...

It will be fun to see how many of those items you have crossed off your list as Done this time next year.