11/30/18

What Can Happen in Just a Few Minutes

There was one housekeeping chore on my calendar yesterday, but I have my priorities straight, as you well know. Sewing first. It was the moment of truth for the little primary squares. I figured I'd get it to flimsy stage and then do my housework, finishing it off if I had time. Holding my breath, I flipped the switch on Big Bertha, and...


Phew! To be fair to her reputation, she's been turned on and off many times since I brought her home, and I've only seen the error code just that one time. Maybe she was just foolin'. That Bertha...she's such a kidder.

Okay, so it was time to sew the blocks together, and in just a few minutes, there they were. Still wonky as all get-out, but I don't mind. I kind of like the look.


And in just a few minutes, I had the borders sewn on.


Now here's something: I've been thinking of calling this little quilt "Wonky Windowpanes." When I pulled it off the sewing machine and held it up to the light...


Perfect! Well, that just solidified my resolve. Wonky Windowpanes it is.

From here, I was supposed to do my housework, but I said to myself, "Self, you could have that thing sandwiched in just a few minutes." So I cut the backing fabric,


and in just a few minutes, it was ready for quilting. Okay, and then I told myself, I could have it quilted in just a few minutes. The perfect variegated thread was in my collection, and a bobbin was already wound. "You'll do," I said.


There was a little bit of fiddling with the settings on the zigzag stitch. I wanted a wide and long stitch, and in just a few minutes, I'd quilted over the seam lines and the inner border, and Voila!


Here's how it looks from the back.


Well, from there, it was just a few minutes to sew on the binding. There were several leftover binding strips in my bag, and this purple was the only one long enough. "You'll do," I said.


In just a few minutes, it was finished. Ta-da!


Here's how it looks from the back.


So...see what you can accomplish in just a few minutes wrapped up in a couple of hours? And there was still time in the day to do my housekeeping. Yay me.

There was an incredible red sky at sunset last night. Red sky at night...sailor's delight! This had to be good for my walk with Sue this morning, right?


Well, not so much because it's raining, and we're expecting rain the entire morning. Oh well.

Oh yes, and I swear this amaryllis grew an inch in just a few minutes while I was making dinner last night.


So yes, a walk with Sue this morning...in the rain...and if I'm not completely saturated, I might stop off and pick up a live Christmas tree I've had my eye on.

This afternoon, I'm going to get started on the next Chicken Buffet block. It got short shrift earlier this month while Big Bertha was lounging around at the spa. But now, it's time to don my gay apparel for a wet walk.

12 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love all that bitty wonky! Hey, those Improve people do that kind of stuff on purpose. I like that you went with the flow with the end result being just 'perfect' in my book.

Quilting Babcia said...

That little wonky baby is a masterpiece of color and design! So fun! It would be perfect as a table topper with Fiesta dinnerware. And of course you just happened to have the perfect border, backing and binding fabrics.

Julierose said...

Just a lovely little quilt finish..a few minutes...right, I do that ALL THE TIME, too;))) lol
Been trying to curb myself to 20 minutes of sew time at the machine...then get myself up for a bit to save my neck and shoulders...so far so good..

I really like the zig-zaggy quilting a lot--it just seems to go with the blocks perfectly...nice job hugs, Julierose

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...


What a wonderful and bright quilt finish! The backing and thread were perfect! Those amaryllis plants seem to pop up overnight, then take an excruciating amount of time to finally bloom.

Quilting gram211 said...

Wow! I love you little wonky windowpanes. And what kind of serendipity was that, to have the perfect border, backing and thread??? You got a lot accomplished in just a few minutes. Great job.

Violet Withey said...

I love the wonky brightness!

piecefulwendy said...

Cute mini! The wonky blocks settled in well, and how fun that you had all the right fabrics at your fingertips (and thread). Hope your walk wasn't too wet!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow you got a lot done in just a few minutes, even if they were wrapped in hours. Glad you still had time for housework. Beautiful sky!

Denise :) said...

I know they're totally different, but every time I've seen pics of your Wonky Windowpanes, it makes me think of my Little Charmer quilt (which is hanging nicely in the Nook waiting to be sandwiched, quilted and bound). https://daneesey.blogspot.com/2015/04/happy-busy-happy.html I guess because it's black and multi-colored. I think I'm going to pull this out and FINISH it. :)

quiltzyx said...

Yay! The Wonky Windowpanes look fab!! Love all the brights you used, and all from your stash too- way to go Barbara.

Since we've had rain 2 times in 2 weeks, I should check to see if my Amaryllis is peeking out yet.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great wonky quilt.

Brown Family said...

Inquiring minds want to know the origin of Red sky.

The concept of "Red sky at night, shepherd's delight. Red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning" first appears in the Bible in the book of Matthew. It is an old weather saying often used at sunrise and sunset to signify the changing sky and originally known to help the shepherds prepare for the next day's weather.