11/27/18

More Tiny Blocks

It took all afternoon again, but I managed to knock off four more teeny tiny blocks. The mini quilt I'm making is called "Primary Squares." I might give it a different name when it's finished, but for now, Primary Squares will do. After having made one set of these, I thought the next set would go a little faster. Not. And I picked out all the color combinations for the remaining blocks, which took a surprisingly long time. By day's end, I had two more sets of two. First, these:


Smitty came down from the Clubhouse about then and reminded me that it's important to streeeeetch when one is engaged in masewchism. (Did you see what I did there?) Then he demonstrated proper technique.


After that, he gave me a consultation regarding my fabric choices.


He has excellent taste. If you ask him, he'll tell you about all the wildlife he's sampled recently...from voles, to mice, to little shrews. He's tried them all. By far, his favorite is the shrew, which can be eaten in one bite while simultaneously holding up one's pinky claw. (Pictures withheld.)


After that little break, I made the other two. With such small blocks, you might think I could manage more than four in an entire afternoon, but you would be wrong.


Here are the blocks I've made so far, and I'm halfway there.


Also, as promised, I finished up the next eight names for the Shop Hop quilt. When I've finished the mini, I'll get to work making the corresponding quilt blocks.


With that done, it was time to make up the second block for the Appalachian Memories quilt. It's hard to see anything in this image, but you can see that I've colored in the barn quilt. This is a Bear's Paw block.


And that's where I'll start when I'm finished here. It's a murky lurker today...raining hard, and nasty. A perfect day for venturing out to the grocery store. Not. And since I've said "not" twice in one post, you might also consider this opposite day. If I say I like something, you can be assured that I don't.

11 comments:

Julierose said...

that is a lot of work and time for sure to get those adorable teeny blocks so perfect! they will look awesome together...
Glad you were around to withhold that gruesome photo ;000 yikes!!
hugs julierose

Sally Trude said...

Buddy enjoys the extra crunch that bat wings provide.

crazy quilter said...

I don’t blame you for not wanting to venture to the grocery store. Procrastinate as long as you can. Lol
The tiny blocks are so cute..keep on sewing!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I have noticed you have gotten better with each tiny block - they take concentration and finess for sure and not something that gets done in mass produced. We have SNOW but still made the venture out - bank, local business hopping, and then the grocery store. My brother drove in his heavier 4-wheel vehicle and we all survived the trip. We just all needed to get OUT!

Robin said...

As always, beautiful creations Barbara. Maybe one day I'll try some teeny, tiny blocks. I love that you are making the Appalachian Memories quilt. Reminds me of home here in the east.

SJSM said...

Those tiny blocks are surely a finesse factor. I’d think it would take a lot of concentration to make each stitch go in the right spot.

We finally have rain here. Tonight we are in Mariposa headed into Yosemite tomorrow. It is supposed to snow the next couple of days there. We are looking forward to beautiful view. Our trip this time is for a Vintners Holiday. Two days of wine tasting with vintners and a dinner on Thursday that will highlight the wines selected for the evening. We haven’t done this before and look forward to experience. We did do a Chef's Holiday a couple of years ago. That was a fabulous dinner.

Looking forward to seeing you put that mini together. Stay dry.

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, those tiny blocks are going to be so cute together in a little quilt! I imagine Smitty and his stretching has caused all female cats reading the post to swoon, the handsome devil! It has been cold here, so I stayed in and got some sewing done. Today I need to venture out, but only for a quick stop or two.

crazy quilter said...

Hi Barbara, I have found that starching the fabrics prior to cutting does help them keep their shape. Also if you dare press your seams open it does cut down on the bulk in tiny blocks but I have to say I a, not a fan of open seams. If they still won’t behave the do as my friend always says “Press them into submission” lol they are looking great to me I especially love all the color in these. Sorry you had to murder that lady, I do hope her family doesn’t miss her or her groceries. Anyway keep on sewing , it calms the soul

Caro said...

If you are pressing with steam, that could potentially distort the block. I sew small blocks frequently and always use a dry iron. A couple of things you might want to check - are you sewing a consistent 1/4” seam? Also as you construct units that make up the block, you might want to measure them to make sure they are the same size before you sew the block together. If there is variation in the size, try sliver trimming them. Try pinning so that the pressure foot can’t scootch the top piece out of place. I hope these suggestions help.

quiltzyx said...

What a nice guy you are Smitty, helping Mom with her color choices for the mini blocks! Yep, as nice as you are handsome I'd say.

We've actually had some rain down here on Thursday, with the hardest downpours when I was driving home. The rain/wind was so hard I kept having to turn up the radio in the car! Then the light show started & only heard a little bit of the thunder...and that was finished by the time I got home. I'm glad that the streets on the way to & from work are good draining ones too. Supposedly we'll get more this week, Weds., Thurs. & Friday. We'll see.

Brown Family said...

THose tiny pieces are tiresome to get straight. Just a thread or two off your quarter inch seam and they are wonkey!