11/28/18

Closing in on a Tiny Finish

It was a wet morning yesterday, but blue skies returned by afternoon. My morning started with my usual slow-stitching. I'm just getting started on the 2nd of 12 blocks for the Appalachian Memories quilt. This one has the bear's paw block on the barn.


It'll be easy enough to finish that off this morning, and then start working on the barn structure. These are all worked in stem stitch, which takes a little longer than backstitch.


I'm thinking I'll do the trees behind the barn in fly stitch.

Of course, it's very cozy in the morning with my slow-stitching cat nearby.


She'd already been out for the morning and came in all wet. Then she sat in my lap grooming herself for quite some time before settling in.

I had to go to the grocery store. It was a little crazy there, but I managed to get it all done while murdering only one person. She was in my way in the parking lot, and in my way all the way through the produce aisles. It was as if she were doing it on purpose, so what else could I do? Things improved a little bit with her out of the way, but the place was mobbed. I imagine everyone did what I did, which was to get their Thanksgiving shopping done a week ahead of time, and then dare not venture back until Monday...no, Tuesday...because the shelves would be bare on Monday. Anyway...there were a lot of people there, but that one woman won't get in my way again.

So after putting away tons of groceries and eating some lunch, I made my way into the sewing room around 1:30 and knocked off four more teeny tiny blocks. First these:


and then these:


They went a little faster than the previous day. I don't know what to do to get these a little less wonky. Tips would be appreciated. My friend Sharon gave me the tip of using the Clover Fork Pins when I made the Bitty Bow Ties about six months ago. You can read my blog post about them right here. These little blocks are made with even smaller pieces and more seams, and so I'm having trouble keeping everything matched up and straight. I doubt it will matter in the end, and I'm loving how colorful they all are.


There are four more to make before I'm ready to add the borders and finish it off, but I don't know if that will get finished today. It might have to wait until tomorrow.

This afternoon, I'm meeting Mike for lunch, and then we're heading off to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, known locally as OMSI. They're having a Gingerbread House Exhibit, and I'm kind of excited to see it.


You can see a little video about it right here. It sounds like fun, and I'm curious to see the creativity. If I'm allowed to take pictures, you can bet I'll be showing you some of them tomorrow. My friend Wendy and I were communicating about it this morning. We agreed that gingerbread houses are great fun to look at, but neither of us had any interest in making one. I think each of us is born with a patience quotient, and I'm currently using all of mine making teeny tiny quilt blocks. Who has room for a gingerbread house when that's going on?

So that's my yesterday and today. We'll see how it all plays out.

10 comments:

Lee said...

Those are tiny blocks; I once considered doing a mini-project or two, but not sure my remaining projected average life span will fit it in ;) Sadie surely looks comfy! Haven't been to OMSI since a grade-school field trip - a very long time ago, and only remember the swinging pendulum. Hope you'll post some pics of anything allowed. Enjoy your day!

Carla said...

I am intrigued by your tiny quilt. My mojo has wimped out lately and this may kick start it again. I wish I had some tips, but I'm sure the wonky will work out when it's all together.

Sally Trude said...

I feel compelled to translate your use of the term "murder" for those who don't live in Portland. A violent argument is "Oh, you go first." "No, you go first." "I insist." "Well, I insist too." "That's such a lovely hat." "Yes, I made it from my dog's fur."... To "murder" is to think quietly to oneself "Gee, I don't know how to get past that person standing in the middle of the aisle with their cart...I guess I'll go over four aisles where they keep the paper towels. That aisle is always clear."

gpc said...

I am grateful for Sally Trude's explanation. It saves me from having to pack up and immediately move to Portland because here, despite our shockingly high rate of murders this year, there seems to be no tolerance for grocery store homicides. Sometimes the law just makes no sense. What IS a justifiable homicide if not an excusable reaction to slow or annoying shoppers, after all. But if Ms. Trude is correct, and "murder" is just a figure of speech there in the west, I might as well stay put for the moment. I wouldn't fit in, not having a dog, or a cat, or the skills to turn either one into wearable art.

Unknown said...

Well you certainly didn't use much of your patience at the store!!! I don't much like tiny, that's why I gave up cross stitch. But you enjoy😄

Ila said...

Hmmm. Have you starched your fabric? And pressed (with steam or water) to get the threads to plump up (I did that myself...no steam or water necessary...just age)? You might shorten your stitch to 2.0 or even 1.5 and see if that give you better control. No matter how yo do those little buggers, props for getting them done. I like the improv look that you have going!

piecefulwendy said...

I agree with using steam. It might help a bit. I do think the wonkiness will work out and even if it doesn't, it still makes the little quilt have a personality all its own. There was this woman at the grocery store one time, always in front of me, weaving back and forth. No cart, just walking and weaving. When I'd try to go around her on the left, she move left, etc. I was so utterly annoyed. I finally ditched her, only to come down another aisle and she was walking toward me. She was on her phone, using one of those ear things! I about smacked her sideways to Sunday! Seriously, if you're not shopping, go sit on the bench! Haha. Okay, good to get that off my chest. Hope you enjoyed the gingerbread houses!

Lyndsey said...

Your teeny tiny blocks are so cute. I love the colours. I understand your feelings when grocery shopping. It has to be the worse job of all times especially before and after a major holiday. I'm wondering if I can do a big order online from my favourite shop for the Christmas food but then someone else has picked items for me and i'm picky about fruit and vegetables. Sometimes the shop stays open 24 hours in the last few days before Christmas and I've found shopping around midnight is stress free but then it all has to be put away when you get home. I was considering bribing one of my daughters to do the shopping as I think it would be worth the expense!

Dar said...

My suggestion for making tiny blocks out of tiny pieces is to starch the heck out of the fabric BEFORE cutting your pieces. Do not use steam (this tends to stretch and distort my fabrics, no matter how careful I do it). I have learned that a dry, hot iron is your friend until the quilt top is all put together, then if a little steam is what you like, ok.
Those are sure cute blocks and the colors add to their charm.

quiltzyx said...

Well, no M&Ms for you on that last grocery trip. But it was totally justified as far as I'm concerned, especially since she started in the parking lot!! I went to a "regular" grocery store yesterday morning - first time in I don't know how long - but got very lucky. Close parking spot & I only needed tortilla chips for nachos for our annual Covina Christmas Parade Party. Score!
Love the look of your tiny blocks just as they are!