11/17/18

Gray Day

The clouds have moved on and we're expecting bright and cold weather for this weekend. Yesterday, the skies were gray and overcast, no doubt made worse by smoke from the California fires. It was hard to see any smoke against the gray skies, but my lungs were feeling it. Sue and I got out for our Friday morning walk. We were glad for dry weather, even if the skies were gray. Here are some things we saw along the way.

We first crossed paths with these two...honking furiously. They were not happy to see us.

Hey! You there! Get away from our fence. I'll kick your @$$!


Their neighbors to the left were also honking furiously, but they were less interested in approaching the fence to yell at us. I kind of like those "tuxedo" geese. And don't you suppose that chicken feels silly penned in with a bunch of foolish honking geese?


And that was the last picture I could take with my point and shoot camera. My battery went dead after that. Oh no! What will I do? Enter the iPhone camera, which I don't usually like for taking pictures of the landscape. They say the best camera is the one you have with you, and so it was my best camera for the morning at least.

When we turned the first corner of our loop walk, we passed by this pyracantha. The ones I've seen growing in California have red berries. Orange is the usual color for these Oregonian ones.


Shortly thereafter, this guy crossed our path. His shell was about the size of a quarter.


In the ditch on the side of the road, we noticed these galls that had fallen from a nearby oak tree. They were about the size of ping pong balls and there were thousands of them.


Walking on...holly berries...not to be out shown by the pyracantha berries. 'Tis the season, after all.


Some apples...well past their prime.


I liked this fence alongside the orange leaves of the tree.


There is a small winery here. Looking out across the valley, we saw this.


Here's someone with just a little too much time on their hands.


And we passed by this pretty fall display of pumpkins.


And there were a surprising number of blooming things still standing.




When I got home, I iced my knee and worked on my slow stitching a little while. I was going to do the French knots a few at a time, but I found myself wanting to see all the colors. Cake sprinkles...that's what I see.


After that, I finished the top-stitching on the latest block for It's Raining Cats and Dogs.


From there, I still needed to do some hand-stitching, but I'd almost forgotten that I was planning an Apple Cobbler for Two for Friday night dessert. This was so good. It isn't hard to make, but it takes just over an hour to put it all together when you add in the baking time. It starts with two Gala apples, cored, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch chunks. With just two apples, it doesn't take long. They were mixed with some butter, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and then heaped into two 7-oz. ramekins.


They were tented with foil and then baked in a 400°F for 35 minutes. (I used my toaster oven for this.) When they came out of the oven, I gave them a little stir with a fork, and pressed the apple pieces down below the liquid.


Then, I made the topping, which took about a minute. The directions will tell you to work this with your fingers as if working butter into flour for pie dough. It started out the consistency of paper mache paste, but then became more like a wet dough. I pulled it apart in little clumps and then dropped it over the surface of the ramekins.


Then it was baked another 15 minutes, and voila! It was bubbling when I took it out of the oven.


While I was waiting for those to bake, I was able to finish the hand-stitching on this block. And that there is a finish. One more block to go on this quilt.


We had a dinner of leftovers last night, and then we cued up our little cobblers. They were cool by this time.


Add yourself a small scoop of vanilla ice cream, and you've got yourself one tasty dessert.


You can find the recipe for these right here. I'm totally loving these desserts for two. They satisfy my itch to bake, and my itch for something sweet. And...no leftovers, so they only blow our diet temporarily. Oh yes, and never mind that proclamation from a few weeks back. I knew that was a lost cause from the get-go.

Yesterday, I saw an interesting article about Choosing your Thanksgiving Pie Using your Astrological Sign. And who am I to argue with the stars? So, Mike and I are both Taurus. This is what it said about our best choice for a Thanksgiving Pie:


Pecan Pie! And I just happen to have a recipe for Pecan Pie for Two. I'd say that's a choice written in the stars. Maybe next time around...

So, today I'm back to working on Mulligan Stew. I'll do another five blocks for that, and then I'm not sure what. I might go ahead a fuse the next Chicken Buffet block and just save the top-stitching for when Big Bertha is back in action. No estimates on when that will be, which I'm finding extremely frustrating, but oh well. Nothing I can do but wait.

What's on your agenda for this weekend? I know some of you are buried in snow, so stay warm and dry out there, okay? Oh yes, and stay safe while you're at it.

14 comments:

Kate said...

Looks like a very nice walk with some great scenery. The desserts for two look very, very yummy. Hope you can get in lots of stitching time this weekend.

Julierose said...

I am a May 12th Taurus; don't like change at all lol
Lovely "Days of Wine and Roses" photos...that cobbler for two looks excellent...
I feel sorry for the hen--among all those silly Geese--do you think they herd her into her coop? Kinda like a prison sentence...;000
Hugs julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

Christmas is a'coming and the geese are getting fat! Your phone takes great photos! All we see today is melting snow, got over a foot on Thursday evening. Yeah, I can agree with that Taurus assessment, in fact one of the pies I'm taking for Thanksgiving dinner is our chocolate-pecan pie. That cobbler for two looks really yummy, will have to try it soon.

Pamela said...

I got a big kick out of the link for the pies! Of course, my tradition loving Pisces husband got a pumpkin pie, and I would totally love the Pink Lemonade pie for my Leo nature (after all, lemon meringue is my favorite pie).

Lots of sewing for me today, cooking tomorrow. Sounds like a pretty good weekend!

quiltzyx said...

Hmmm, well according to that article, the pie for Gemini is a Chessame Pie, that has black sesame seeds & tahini in it. And the recipe is from Cooking Light! Interesting anyway. I do have some of those size ramekins, may have to try out the little cobblers.

Fast work on the 4-Star Hotel! Cute. And the sundress!! Sprinkles indeed!

piecefulwendy said...

So many pretty photos from your walk. I had wondered if you were getting air quality issues from the wildfires. What a sad situation; sure wish rain would come to California. Those desserts look tasty indeed. Today I'm going to stitch a few more tomte, and maybe take a nap. Not necessarily in that order. Enjoy your day, Barbara!

Lyndsey said...

I've just finished reading all your back posts since I went on holiday. I settled with a nice cup of tea and really enjoyed catching up, it made for a very entertaining time. Love seeing all the projects you're working on and the photos from your walk. In a little while I must get on with some stitching but for now I'm enjoying all the quilting eye candy and dreaming of tasty desserts.

Californianativedaughter said...

I'm sorry, but Can’t-Be-Beet Tart with Goat Cheese might be fine for some people but not for this Sagittarian!

Rosemary

Denise :) said...

For its title, this post was anything but! :) I enjoyed all the colorful flora (and fauna...fowl?) photos! The astrology sign pie thing was interesting. Todd's on the Aries/Taurus cusp and his favorite pie is pecan (so evidently he's Taurus leaning). I'm a Libra ... and though I love a hot chai, Chai Cream Pie? First time in my life I've ever wished I was a Capricorn! LOL! By the way, I thought about this today as I read your post and then turned to google. I do that a LOT! Go to google after reading your posts. Your posts make me think and wonder. Good stuff! :)

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

What a beautiful enjoyable post. I went to the store to buy some apples, so now I am ready. Love your photos.

kc said...

Nice walk, despite the gray day! Loved all the blooming things! and your compositions and sense of color shows through your pics, just as it does your quilts. You are definitely blessed in that department!

The apple cobblers look great....I never ever follow a recipe for them. I just slice 'em up, chop 'em up, sprinkle some butter and sugar (brown and white, but more brown), butter, spices and a bit of flour. Or oats. I dunno, they never turn out the same way twice, but, they always turn out delish, and they always get gone.

I had some oral surgery last week, so I am on soft foods for the next 3 months. Minimum. Maybe 5 to 8. (think bone graft and implant stem, combined with soft bones and lack of sufficient jaw bone) Anyway, so, my soft foods today consisted of homemade applesauce. Again, no recipe, just some sugars and spices, apples & a bit of water, salt and lemon juice. Boil it till apples are soft and use the new blender (was originally for margaritas, but now that this new diet has hit, it's pulling double duty) on pulse/chop for about 5 seconds and it's good to go. Had to wait for it to cool off, but I managed to sneak a small taste after I blew it cool. After dinner I, when it had cooled more sufficiently, I realized perhaps I was a bit heavy handed with the cinnamon this time. Oh well, it's just me, and I love cinnamon, so no big deal.

Our plans for the weekend...well, we'll dance Monday, I have a baggie bag to make and send off to my SIL, so we'll have to shop (all my supplies & extras are in storage!), then I can sew, Tues I'll do the sewing, Wed we'll dance again, Thurs, friends have invited us to join them for dinner, Fri is a tree lighting down in The Villages (you may recall that whole town unto itself in the middle of the state), Sat we'll pack everything up and Sunday we'll move to a new RV park. It's about $200 a month more than where we're at (YES, really!!), but, hopefully, it'll be a whole LOT quieter. Where we are has crushed concrete and sand for pads, and every bit of it comes into the camper on those 4 little furry feet! Plus, we are not too far from I-75, so you can imagine the constant roar. It's pretty awful, in our book, and certainly not anything we're used to! Nor do we really WANT to get used to it! It is tiresome. We both spend hours lying awake at night, just wondering if & when the road roar will subside. It never does.

We have had to travel I75 a few times, and it's amazing to see the convoy of campers all heading south. All makes and models and vintages. I had forgotten what the parade looks like this time of year.

QuiltGranma said...

Hubby's Grandma had geese as "guard dogs" and they worked great! And enough of them to be a deterrent to visitors too! Watch out for those beaks! She had to call them off.

Brown Family said...

We get galls on our oak leaves. They are such an interesting thing. I am a Taurus, too, and I love Pecan Pie. the apple cobblers look delicious!

Dar said...

Barb, I enjoyed this post very much. Really liked the photos on your walk. I got a kick out of the zodiak pie survey. I am a Taurus too and love pecans, but have never made a pecan pie myself. But after checking all the signs,there are not very many that I don't like to eat!!