11/15/18

A Pig Grows in Oregon

Yesterday I spent a little longer than usual on my morning slow stitching. I was close to finishing the Friendship's Garden block, and I was also close to finishing my audio book. Both were finished at approximately the same time.


Here are all the blocks I've done so far:


There are still three to go before I'm ready to sew this together, and so I'll just keep stitching away at it.

Speaking of finishing books, do you follow the Bibliophile Files on at Sarah Did It? She's published her monthly linky party this morning, and I'm motivated to start joining in each month. I've added her button to my right side bar with a list of the books I'm currently reading.


Sarah is good about setting a reading goal and keeping track of the books she wants to read and the books she's finished. Starting in January, I'm going to keep a list of the books I've finished. For now, I have just the two I've finished recently and the ones I'm currently reading. The Kindle books don't get read as quickly as the audio books are listened to. The audio books are for hand and machine sewing. The Kindle books only get attention when I'm ready to go to sleep at night (thus, a short period of time) and when I'm out and about...usually for some kind of an appointment (thus, rarely). So that's my plan. I'm already setting goals for 2019. I've even chosen my next Rainbow Scrap quilt, but no peeking for now.

For the rest of my sewing day, I worked on the next section for And On That Farm. This one is called "With an Oink, Oink Here." The first task is to piece the background together. With limited amounts of fabric supplied in my kit, this is always nervous-making.


Next, I made a sunflower.


After that, I fused the eye pieces together. You can see the placement diagram below the teflon pressing sheet there.


After that, I made the pieces for the pig's body.


By that time, it was 3:00 and I'd promised to turn on the slow cooker. We had left over chicken and dumplings. I'd refrigerated it in the slow cooker crockery, and all I needed to do was plug it in and turn it on. Also, I promised myself I'd do a housekeeping chore when I turned it on...which I did. Yay me! It's hard to tear myself away once I get started on my sewing for the day. Usually, I'm not very disciplined that way, telling myself I can always do it tomorrow. Working on that, because I hate it when those chores pile up.

So once I had my housekeeping chore done, I went back to work on the pig. From here, just the nose was left.


And there it is! I guess he's eating that sunflower.


After that, I fused him to the background, and this one is finished.


When you see this in the assembled quilt, the sunflower extends out into the border and the sashing, 
and so it's only fused just where the pig's nose is. The rest is loose, and it will be fused when I have all sections for the quilt sewn together...sometime during the year 2147. (I like to plan ahead.)

Smitty likes the days when all the "sewing" is limited to the ironing board. He likes to get all comfy in my sewing chair.


With the Friendship's Garden block complete, I'm ready to move on to the 9th of 12 dresses in the Sundress quilt, and so I traced out the next one yesterday morning.


Now it's hooped up and ready to go.


That's where I'll head next. These stitch up pretty quick. Ya' gotta love a block that fits all in a single hoop. Also today, grocery shopping. I can't wait to get out there with all the terrified shoppers getting ready for Thanksgiving! If I get back to the sewing room today (assuming I don't get arrested for murdering a fellow shopper), it will be to work on the next block for It's Raining Cats and Dogs. I'm closing in on a finish for those blocks. More about that tomorrow, I hope.

11 comments:

Robin said...

Beautiful work Barbara. There is just no end to your talent! Thank you for the pictures of your amazing artistry.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the Bibliophile Files shoutout! One of my 2019 goals is to post on time, hahaha. Can't wait to see what your next rainbow project is. I played a couple years ago and would like to get back to it.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I use audio books as well - no kindle, but our library is a wonderful resource and only a quarter mile away. 2019 is charted with even events logged into 2020 (scarey). Right now we are in the middle of the Nor'east storm and it is nasty out there.

piecefulwendy said...

That's some pig! He's adorable. I still like a good hardback book now and again. Although, like you, I read my Kindle at night, mainly because I can keep reading while hubby goes to sleep. I can turn off all the lights and still see my page. Which, of course, doesn't last as long anymore because I fall asleep faster. I'm like you, once I get started quilting, I don't want to stop, but it's good to have to get up and do some things, like get meals going. You have some fun projects lined up!

Brown Family said...

Cute pig!

quiltzyx said...

That little piggy is adorable!!! Great job Barbara :)

Hard to believe you only have 3 more blocks to do on the Friendship Garden. Looking forward to seeing the latest sundress too.

Kate said...

Good luck with your reading goals, I don't read as much as I'd like, but I do get burned out with all the reading I have to do at work.Love the Friendship Garden blocks, they are all very pretty. The pig turned out nicely too. As usual, you are motoring along on multiple front.s

stitchingirlblog.wordpress.com said...

That pig is really impressive! All that piecing makes him look almost real!

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your stitchery and your pig and sunflower block! Great work!

Created by Kathi said...

I am in love with your pig applique and your slow stitching progress too... what do you use to mark your design through the fabric... do you use a brown pen of some sort? You work is stupendous. I can't keep track of books via books in earphones... but i read books occasionally traditionally... never learned to like kindle style reading ... I like to flip pages and smell the book! lol I do read a lot of quilting books and patterns though! Does that count??? Thanks for blogging and linking at Kathy's :D Kathi

Little Penpen said...

How adorable is your pig?? So much pretty in your post. Do you listen to books online or on a cd... I need to figure this out. I love books, too!