10/5/18

Tomorrow's Finish Today

Except for one little housekeeping chore, it was an NBS day yesterday. I'm not sure what today holds, but there will be a finish involved. Mike is home today, and we need to pick up a wine shipment as well. And, oh well, sure...one housekeeping chore. But sewing first!

As for yesterday, I had just one more row of bag ladies to contend with.


One and done.


From there I was ready to start sewing on the borders. The first was yellow.


The second was pink.


My little cat was there to help.

Hello.


I said, HELLO!


It was getting late in the day by that time...I suspected it was time to feed the cat...which reminds me, remember this quilt?


Smitty was holding it up on the other side of the sewing room. I think it was a signal.

So, anyway, I was just finishing up joining strips for the last border when I stopped for the day.


Just for grins, I took this picture so you could get a hint of what it will look like at the end of the day today.


Also, I rooted around in my fabric stash a little. The Bag Ladies are made completely from scraps, and so far, the only money spent has been for the thread to sew them together. Even the embroidery floss was from scraps in my floss stash. The pattern was a gift from the designer, Carol Steffensen, for hosting the Stitch-Along last year. And with that in mind, I really wanted to find a back in my stash. I came out with this one.


It's a fabric a friend found at a yard sale, or a garage sale, or a trunk sale, or something. It has the nicest feel, and I'm pretty sure it's cotton. It's kind of weird though because it's only 36 inches wide, and there is nothing in the selvage (indeed, the selvage isn't really even visible) to identify it. Possibly a strip was cut lengthwise at some point? I don't know. The edge appears finished. In any case, I have five yards of it. When the quilt is finished, it will be 52 x 71 inches, and so even with the narrow width, there's plenty for a back. SOLD! I like the vintage appearance, and the bag ladies look pretty vintage to me.

Also, I selected this for the binding when I get that far with it. I've used this in other projects, and the binding might just use up the last of it.


So that was my sewing day.

In odds and ends...remember when Melissa painted Smitty recently? Well Sadie wanted to be painted too. And I've probably posted a lot of pictures of Sadie with the request that #melissapaintmycat. Finally, I posted this picture...


And she did it! Melissa painted Sadie!


Cool! Now we'll have a matching pair...in addition to the living ones we already have.

Finally, I noticed this on our star magnolia yesterday. 


The original owner planted the star magnolia. It makes the prettiest flowers in the spring.


This is our 17th year in our home. I've loved the blossoms in spring, but this is the first time I've ever noticed these berries in the fall. Is it possible it's the first time it has produced them? Or have I just never noticed before. Anyway...interesting.

So with that, I'm off to finish that last border. It'll be good to have the Bag Ladies sewn into a flimsy. After all, they aren't getting any younger, and neither am I.

14 comments:

Cathy said...

I was happy to see that Melissa painted Sadie for you. She also painted Alfie and Darla in this batch, and we couldn’t be more thrilled! Thanks for leading us to Melissa Averinos. I’d known of her for at least a couple years as an award- winning quilter (that FACE quilt!), but not as a painter of our beloved animals. The Bag Ladies quilt is turning out wonderfully! And coming straight from stash is a great bonus.

Sally Trude said...

Wow! She captured Sadie's inner scoundrel better than the photo. That glare is classic.

Respectfully,

Molly

Sharon said...

Barbara,

I have read your blog for several years and enjoy it so much! I LOVE the Bag Ladies quilt. Do you think you might do another stitch-along sometime? I haven't done any embroidery for a long time, and all of your beautiful stitchery is making me want to do some again. As though I need another hobby. Ha!

Sharon

quiltzyx said...

Hooray for the Bag Lady flimsy! Turned out wonderfully.

Congrats to Sadie for a beautiful posing job for her painting! She deserved that.

Sarah said...

I was going to say Sadie's HELLO would be a fun pawtrait but I think the painting outshines HELLO any day! Can't wait to see the 2 paintings hung together.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Well Sadie is a lovely kitty to paint and that is beutiful. The ladies are looking good! You vintage backing fabric has to be at least 40 yrs. old, if not older. Wonderful piece for the ladies.

Sandra W said...

Great news about Sadie. And that is s nice photo of her. Oft times it's difficult to see her features because of her dark hair/face. I've been away, and away from y sewing machine--at the bedside of my 97-year-old mother. She's fine--for her age. So I have done a lot of handsewing while in hospital but I dearly miss my sewing machine and her purring.

Dorothy said...

The backing is perfect for the bag ladies, and yes it is "old". I am 75 and I remember 36" wide fabric :-)

suzanprincess said...

The painting really captured Sadie beautifully; glad you'll have it to go along with Smitty's. Once upon a time 36" fabric width was the standard; I remember how nice it was to find the new wider 45" occasionally...about 60 years ago! (I started sewing very young... : )

mangozz said...

It's always a great feeling when you get a quilt to flimsy stage, and even better when it's all from stash. It's amazing what's hiding in that stash! And yes, I do remember 36" wide fabric....from a long, long time ago. But some of those prints were really nice small florals like the one you used. It's hard to find that much of one print at a yard sale or thrift store that isn't faded on the fold.

piecefulwendy said...

Like a few of the others, I remember 36" wide fabric because my mother and grandmother would often remind me to be sure I was getting the correct width of fabric for my pattern. That width was fading in popularity as I got into my teen years, I think? I had to chuckle when I saw the photo of your Feed the Cats quilt. Honestly, I kid you not, I picked up the pattern on a trip, thinking I would either send it to you, or make you a quilt! Hahaha. Great minds think alike, I guess? So glad Melissa painted Sadie too; what fun keepsakes of your two kitties!

Claire said...

I'll add my memories of 36-inch wide fabric to others.' The main thing I remember is having to be sure I was looking at the right spot on the chart of dress patterns for required yardage! And of course getting home occasionally with the length for 45-inch cut out of 36-inch fabric. and of course for dresses, just buying a second installment didn't always work.

Kate said...

Love the Bag Ladies! That backing is perfect. What a fun picture of Sadie! Now you have pair of each (I think?).

Brown Family said...

You got the bag ladies done! Love the painting of Sadie.