8/29/18

Franticanning

Yes, that's another new word to add to your vocabulary. Franticanning: It's when the produce is coming at you so fast, you're afraid you can't keep up. One bucket of apples down...one to go. Yesterday's yield was another 6 pints of applesauce, and 7-1/2 half pints of Maple Bourbon Apple Butter.


The maple bourbon apple butter tastes good. It's kind of like super thick applesauce. It might have needed more time to cook to get it to a darker color, but I was running out of time, and I needed to pick up the CSA veggies. It cooked on the stove top for an hour. It's just apples and a little bit of water...just enough to keep the apples from burning until they give up some of their own juices. When it was finished on the stove top, it looked like this.


Then I used my immersion blender to puree it until it was smooth. The apples were cored, but the peels left on. It's pureed skins and all.


Then it went into a 300°F. oven to roast for 3 hours. The goal was to get it to a darker shade of color and to have it smell slightly caramelized. The caramelized smell was present, but I can't say it changed color much. Still, the level had cooked down some, and so I called it quits. The show must go on, right?


After that, I added 1/4 cup maple syrup, 2 tablespoons of bourbon and a 1/2 teaspoon of orange zest. Then it was funneled into jars and processed.

Today I need to go first to the grocery store. When I get home, I'll make a batch of apple pie filling. Depending on how long that takes, I might do something else...either zucchini pickles or more tomato jam...or maybe nothing. Tomorrow I'm taking the day off because Sue and I are going to the Oregon State Fair.

Okay now here's something exciting. Remember when I posted this picture and wrote these words?


There's an Instagram artist named Melissa. If one posts pictures of one's cats with the hashtag #melissapaintmycat, she might just paint your cat. Then she posts them, and they are available for sale if you want to purchase it. I've posted dozens of pictures, but so far, no dice. (I'm sure she's tagged by thousands, and so it's no surprise we haven't won the lottery yet.)

Well...Melissa painted my cat! I'm so pumped!


And, heck yeah, I'm buying it. It's all paid for, and I'm just waiting to receive it in the mail. What a clever idea! If I thought I could keep up a steady stream of kitty pawtraits, I might put myself out there as #barbaraquiltmycat. I considered it for all of 7 nanoseconds, and then, nah. That would be the quickest way I know to ruin quilting for myself. Anyway...I'm so excited about the painting of Smitty. Now I'll have to deluge Melissa with pictures of Sadie and #melissapaintmycat. Maybe I'll hit the lottery again.

There was just a little time for slow stitching yesterday, but I'll take a little more time today. The only other news in quilting is that I received my partner assignment and swatch of fabric for


And what a thrill! I'm partnered up with my friend Lana, who follows the blog via Facebook. It's going to be so much fun having a partner I know. And Lana is a cat lover, so she's made it real easy for me. We're swapping mug rugs. I took some time yesterday to settle on a design, but I can't share it until Lana has it in her hands. The only rule is that I need to use this swatch of fabric somewhere on the front.


Not a problem...I know just what to do. I'll be working away on that between stirring pots on the stove.

So there's plenty to do today what with grocery shopping and franticanning. Next up, a little bit of slow stitching. What are you doing today?

12 comments:

Denise :) said...

Smitty makes a very handsome pawtrait subject...of course, you already knew this to be the case! I'm gaining quite an interesting and expanded vocabulary thanks to you and your blog!!! :)

gpc said...

I was so excited to see that Smitty got painted, and what a lovely pawtrait she did! Heck yeah, I would have bought it, too! That bourbon apple stuff is calling my name . . . I wonder what it is that makes it sound so worth doing to me? No matter, it is apple season here and everyone knows how healthy they are. I'm going to get on it this week if I have any bourbon in the house . . .

Sandra W said...

I knew that Smitty would get painted with that wonderful photo! He looks so handsome. And i do like her rendition of Smitty. What size is the painting? Is it watercolor or acrylic?
All that canning looks fantastic. I have in the past made some apple chutney that has been fabulous.
I love the idea of canning. It feels so wholesome and whole whet heights--if you know what I mean.
And that peach dessert! I would eat all four without any hesitation. So that's why I don't make many sweets. I have an fierce sweet tooth.

Sally Trude said...

What a wonderful win and painting. I like that in the original photo, Smitty is looking slightly away with a nonchalant look, but in the painting he's looking at you with what he is really feeling...a squinty-eyed "get that camera away from me".

Unknown said...

Awesome!! I like that she "redid" the quilt, I like her version too! But Smitty already has such a big head. There's no telling how smug and arrogant he will get now!

Cathy said...

Wow! Smitty has once again been immortalized, and the painting is so cute. Of.Course. You would want to buy it. I know that franticanning (great word!) feeling, Just when I tire of one veggie or fruit, another one comes along. Next year I’ll try that apple pie jam, but this year it will be apple pies, applesauce and dried apples (dehydrator) only.

Kate said...

What a cool painting of Smitty! He's a pretty majestic kitty, definitely pawtraight worthy. Hope you've made lots of headway on your franticanning. Looking forward to some shots of the quilty goodness from your fair.

crazy quilter said...

Barbara, I think you are a canning machine! Such lovely pic of those apples and pickles and carrots and all the jams and applesauce etc. you are such an amazing person. Keep on keeping on! So exciting about Smitty’s painting , yes post dozens of pic of Sadie so you will have both of them. I say send some of sweet Gracie as well...

piecefulwendy said...

Franticanning - hahaha! My mom and grandma used to make apple butter and it was my favorite. I can still remember the taste - yum! Looking forward to seeing your challenge mini. How fun that you know each other!

Susan said...

Congratulations on winning the cat painting lottery. I am sure this will up Smitty's ego a notch.

Brown Family said...

I love Smitty's painting. I had a blog friend that was doing a 30 paintings in 20 days challenge and she ask for photos of cats. I bought the one she painted of Wizard. He left us not long after that so it has been a treasure.

quiltzyx said...

As a kid, I wasn't a fan on Apple Butter - but it's something I do like now. There are a few things like that (avocados). So if I come across something I used to not like, now I will keep an open mind & palate & at least try it.

Wow! August was a winning month for you - 2 ribbons & a painting of the Smitster! Cool beans!!