10/11/18

False Start

After getting my monthly pedicure yesterday, I stopped off at the grocery store for Shopping Trip 2.0. I'd been the day before, but I couldn't do any meal planning for the week because I needed to see what our farmers would give us in our CSA share. Thus, another trip yesterday to supplement the trip from the day before. Besides, I love the grocery store so much (cough!) that I want to go every day! That actually isn't true, as you well know. But anyway...I could not wait to get home and get started on the Cardinal Mosaic.

Before I go on, I need to say a little bit about the other "mosaic" quilt I made a while back, and a picture is worth a thousand words. (And you know I'll happily type a thousand words to get my point across, but let's stick with the picture, shall we?)


When I made the sunflower, I sewed the pieces together two vertical rows at a time. It worked, but it was kind of a headache keeping track of everything. So for the cardinal, I actually read the instructions. I KNOW! It took me at least five minutes to do that, and so that was five minutes delay in my new project gratification...a monumental sacrifice, if I do say so myself. And I do.

So here's the recommended method. This pattern is by Jane Kakaley and she suggested dividing the pattern grid into sections. It's a little hard to explain without showing you the pattern grid, but then there's this little issue of copyright infringement. So, I'll just give you a peek at what I'm working with here.


My own idea was to number the rows both vertically and horizontally. There are 36 in both directions. So, it made sense to mark a grid 6 x 6 and work with one section at a time. As it turns out, it's a good way to stay organized. I've also numbered the color values as a method of counting how many I'll need for each. It works to tell me when I've missed something as well. As an example, I missed counting one of the lighter blocks and so the 12 ended up at the end of the third row instead of the end of the 6th row as it should have. It doesn't really matter, but it did keep me from cutting one too few of the lighter blues. (I hope that makes sense.)

Then I cut the appropriate number of pieces and lined them all up on my June Taylor Cut 'N Press board. I never use it for cutting or pressing, but it makes a handy little tray for carrying pieces from my work table to my sewing table.


From there, I chain pieced the rows together. I didn't even need to cut them apart. I could just fold them row over row and sew them together that way. Having them all tied together with thread (like a chain gang) kept things from flying around and escaping.


And then I had the first section done.


Speaking of flying around, Sadie was making quite a racket in the Clubhouse. I had to check and see what was up.

Move along...nothing to see here. (Geez. That was empurrassing.)



And then I continued on my way. As I mentioned, I worked in vertical rows when I made the Sunflower quilt. This time I decided to move horizontally since that would get me to the bird faster. And you can see the beginnings of the bird in the lower right hand corner of the second section.


Then I sewed those two sections together...


and moved along to the third section, which suddenly got a lot more complicated. There were three values of blue, four values of red, and one of black. Plus, I needed to make some half square triangles from those tiny pieces. I had all the pieces made, laid out, and double-checked when I quit for the day.


And just to make sure busy paws didn't get into the action, I covered everything with a ruler for safe-keeping.


So, do you ever work on a project and having that niggling feeling that something isn't right? That's how I was feeling about this. There was something bothering me about it. I was talking to Mike about the new project I'd started and, in the process, I showed him the picture.


When I showed him the picture, I realized what was bothering me about it. It's the fabrics...I'm using too many solids. It's going to make for a "flat" quilt if I don't use fabrics with more variation in pattern. These are the ones I'm using.


The reds aren't bad, but there are too many solids in the greens, blues, and browns. And then I took Mike down to the sewing room with me, and he agreed. I need more tone on tones...more mottling. The values are pretty good, but there isn't enough variation within each individual color.

So, not a problem. I can work with some of what I've already done, but I want to change some of it out before I get any farther along. And making that decision was all fine and dandy, except I woke up just after midnight last night, and I couldn't stop thinking about those fabrics. I knew they were downstairs, drinking margaritas, having a party, and yucking it up about how I'd chosen all the wrong things. They sure fooled me, they laughed. Well. This just wouldn't do at all...and I kept thinking and thinking and thinking until I got up and went down to the sewing room and went through them discarding this one and pulling that one. Finally, I had this collection.


I might decide to switch two of the middle blues around, but mostly, I think I've done a better job of choosing now. The blues are difficult because some of them are too purple and some too green. It's hard to find true blues. Also, I'm still not happy with the darkest of reds. I think I need a different one in the middle and then slide the current middle and it's next door neighbor to the north for a better mix of values. It's hard to find anything darker than the rusty ones I've laid out there, and so the middle one needs to be a tad lighter.

I'll get at that in a little while. For now, I'm drinking my coffee and trying to wake up after my sleepless night.

To all of you in the path of the hurricane, please be safe. You're in my thoughts.

12 comments:

Cathy said...

That’ll teach those silly old plain fabrics to drink margaritas and laugh at you! I think you’ve got a better mix now (of fabrics, not drinks). This will be a fun quilt to watch come together.

WoolenSails said...

Your mosaics are beautiful and a fun way to do designs. Checking out all the wonderful projects you have been working on, you have been busy, need some of your energy.

Debbie

Kate said...

Love this cardinal! Glad you discovered your problem before you go too far along. Looking forward to seeing the rest of this one come together.

Debbie said...

Exactly right....more texture comes from those fabric with tone on tone designs and mottling! So glad you spotted it before you got too far away. Don't forget the trick of taking a photo and then turning it to black and white to check for the values. It might help with the reds....which are just bears to deal with. But it looks great and I love your solution for the value grid. Sure helps with the organizing.

piecefulwendy said...

Gridding your sewing is a great idea, and I'd be numbering too. Funny how those fabric parties make so much racket they wake you up! I think you're doing well with getting those fabrics pulled together. Hope you were able to sneak in a nap (or two) after your creative, sleepless night!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Yes, good on you for solving the 'flat' before getting much further along. This will be another beautiful piece.

SJSM said...

And I thought what you chose looked good. There you go, a non quilter looked at your selection and thought, "good job". When you pointed out the variation problem, I could see what you are see as a problem. Nice catch! I find telling someone else helps solidify your thinking and gives your mind a job while you sleep. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve woken up with a resolution to a sewing problem. It would be better if the brain solved the problem just before you normally wake instead of in the middle of your slumber.

Looking forward to the cardinal coming together.

Nita said...

I really like that sunflower. I went to her site and bookmarked it. This could be my next big project...I can just see it hanging above my tv. Thanks for the tips!😀

kc said...

The audacity! Partying on without you! Mine were doing the nasty till I farmed out 6 totes full. That, and a few rolls of packing tape seemed to quiet the rest of 'em. I like your changes, will be more interesting in the end, methinks.

Party on, we'll join in the celebration in another 10 days!

QuiltGranma said...

Boy, your fabric has a wild time while you are trying to sleep! I wonder what mine has been up to? Unfortunately mine does not multiply on its own, creating new and different half breeds! I could sure use some of that!

quiltzyx said...

I do like the new selection of print-y fabrics you've chosen now. They were so rude though, waking you up in the middle of the night & not even offering you a Margarita! Sheesh!

Brown Family said...

That is an interesting way to approach the grid. I sww what you mean about the colors