10/9/18

A Cat and A Coincidence

It's something of a miracle that our road paving project started yesterday. Mike told me that half the road is paved now. Presumably it will be finished up today. I'll be able to see it for myself in a few hours because I really need to go out and do a little grocery shopping today..."little" being the operative word there because it's also a CSA pick-up day. One learns not to plan one's menu until one has seen what is in one's CSA share. And one is the wiser for it too. And when you're one, which I am, then something...I don't know what, but I got on kind of a roll there with my "ones." Tomorrow we'll tackle the "twos." Actually, we'll be tackling the "toes" tomorrow because it is the day of my monthly pedicure. I'm telling you there's a hidden poetry to life if we just take the time to look for it.

Okay, so here's what happened yesterday. Initially, I thought I might do my "little" grocery shopping yesterday, but hearing the road-moving equipment on the road discouraged me...not that it's any less daunting today, but work with me here. I spent a good part of the morning on the Heart & Home embroidery piece, and I filled my hoop.


Now there's just a little bit left to finish the block. Unless I'm being overly optimistic, I should have this one finished before day's end.


After that I put on my muddy shoes (because we're into that time of the year) and went out to dump the compost pail. While I was out there, I noticed this Frankenfood growing from the compost pile. It appears to be some sort of hybrid squash.


After that, I went into the sewing room to work on the Mulligan Stew quilt. When the quilt is finished, it will look something like this:


I chose this project because it uses all of the blocks from this book:


This is a very interesting book, and I'm enjoying making the blocks, even if it is taking me forever to finish them. You can read more about the book and the quilts right here. I'll warn you though, if you find yourself tempted to buy the book, make sure you also get the errata that goes with it. There are a number of errors in the book; however, I wrote to the publisher to inquire about the errata and received it via email the very next day. 

So here's where the coincidence and the cat come in. Do you recall when we visited the American Museum of the House Cat while we were traveling last year? 


It was an absolutely enchanting place...to me, anyway. Here, I was listening with rapt attention as we toured the place with our guide.


While we were there, I picked up this little dust collector...partly for the cat, and partly for the quilt.


On the back was taped this explanatory note:


So, keeping in mind that it's been a full year plus since I worked on the quilt, imagine my surprise and delight that the first block I was to make this time around was this one:



I swear, it's a complete coincidence, but just another way in which our lives turn to poetry if we take the time to pay attention. This is the story associated with the quilt block from the book.


It's taking me a long time to finish this quilt because I'm only making five blocks at a time as it comes up in the rotation of projects. And there are a lot of blocks. So yesterday's goal was to make five more. This is the next one.



Here's the associated story from the book:


Next was this one. It had some tiny little pieces.



Then this one:



And, finally...this one.



I liked this associated sentiment.


And I promised you an up-to-date picture of the blocks I have so far. Here are the 45 I've made. There are 15 to go before I can start sewing them together.


Okay, so I've hinted at how I've been salivating over a new project. This one would fall under the category of PINS (Projects I Never Started). While we were traveling, I somehow happened on this pattern by Jane Kakaley. You can find her Etsy shop right here.


You might recall that I made her Sunflower mosaic for a guild challenge a few years ago.


Mine was adapted a little bit to stay within the constraints of the challenge. In any case, it was such a fun and engrossing project, and I ended up purchasing quite a few of her pdf downloads at the time. For whatever reason, I'm only just now getting around to starting on the cardinal. Some people associate cardinals with Christmas...maybe because of the colors? I don't know. But it seems like we're getting close enough to Christmas that it will be kind of fun to start something new. I've felt a little bored with my projects lately, and so something new seems like just the ticket to get my mojo stirred up.

There's plenty to do today, and so I'll probably focus on choosing the fabrics today. Either way...it's on my radar screen now, and I'm ready to get started.

8 comments:

quiltzyx said...

I love the bees in the latest Heart & Home block. There is some sort of flowering grass-like plant at my local Starbucks that the bees just love. It makes me glad to see them.
I remember when you got that little Kind Hearted Woman medallion on your trip! I always like the stories you share from the Hobo Quilts books too. Glad to see the cat block show up!!
I'm looking forward to seeing your water color-ish Cardinal quilt. Do you use the fusible grid for it?

Hope they finish your road today!

gpc said...

Here in Michigan the threes are dumping leaves like crazy. They are actually trees, but since you did one and toe, I figured I should show that I also like to remain attuned to the poetry of life. Love the hobo squares, too bad I am too much of a bum to actually make them.

Cathy said...

We have several Frankensquash (pollinator potpourri) too. Ours are a mix of spaghetti squash and pumpkin. My brain says it must be good and tasty, but so far I haven’t convinced the rest of me yet. I’m getting antsy to start new projects, too, but I’ll push on to complete the half dozen almost-dones before year end. It’ll give me time to plan, dream and check Pinterest and my files. Then I’ll probably overload myself in January!

piecefulwendy said...

The cardinal looks like a fun project, so I'm looking forward to see your fabric pull for it. I know I'm a day behind in posts, so will tune in tomorrow to read about the road. I do like that hobo quilt, and you would definitely have a cat etched somewhere on your property. You are definitely a kind-hearted woman!

Doreen said...

I am totally in love with that quilt!!! It speaks "primitive" and "cozy" to me! I do like that last sentiment. There's really too much "me-ism" in society right now and way too much "lashing out" going on (where did those constraints ever go????).
Anyhow....you are one busy gal (as always). Hope your construction is finishing up. Our "road construction" season seems to be getting closer to a closure (weather permitting.....snow showers forecast for this coming Sunday night into Monday!!!! UGH!!!!). Hugs................

Stitches said...

Reading about your Hobo quilt was very interesting to me. In Iowa there has been a Hobo Convention in Britt, Iowa since 1900. If you do a search, you will get lots of information about it. I have never been but a friend of mine went a few years ago and she said it was a fun day and lots going on. I lived in a very small town in Western Iowa growing up and we had a few hobo's knock on our back door looking for a hand-out. We lived about 2 blocks or less from the railroad tracks but it was scary (to me) when you would see a hobo. Good luck with your new project. I wish I had your organizational skills to get some quilts finished!!! I think you should write a post and tell us how you go from one project to another and how you schedule them to work on!!

Brown Family said...

Mulligan Stew is very interesting. Thanks for sharing the stories about the blocks. We think of Cardinals and winter. The 'Red Bird' was Mom's favorite!

Natureluvr57 said...

The Hobo quilt info was interesting. Definitely think of cardinals and winter/Christmas together. The males look so beautiful against fresh fallen snow. I watch a You Tuber living in Colorado and was surprised they don't get cardinals there. I'm sure she gets birds we don't. I never checked but prior to that I thought they were found all over the U.S. Learn something new every day. We had a warm spell with lots and lots of rain but tonight it's turning cold and will be way to close to freezing at night (34) Brrrrr.