9/27/18

Peaked

That's "peaked" with two syllables. It was a grocery shopping day yesterday, and so I took advantage of the trip to get my flu shot and the pneumonia booster vaccine. I had the pneumonia vaccine back when I turned 60 (the age you must be to get it); but then a newer more effective vaccine was developed, and so I needed a repeat. After that I did my grocery shopping, and let me tell you...the store was mobbed. Who knows why? No major holidays. Not pay day. No idea why it was such a zoo, but it was.

When I got home, I can recall wishing I wasn't going to the Northwest Quilter's Expo today since a day at home sounded really good at the time. Well...the vaccines are having their say. I woke up last night feeling feverish. It isn't as bad as when I had the tetanus shot back in July, but bad enough that I'm scrapping my plans to attend the quilt show. Tomorrow will work too, and I'm confident I'll feel better by then.

As for yesterday, I was able to get back to quilting the Starry Night wall hanging. The first thing I did was to sew the little label to the back. I wanted to do that before I started the quilting.


And then I went to work on the quilt top, keeping it pretty simple. I gave the fire some smoke.


Quilted some craters on the moon.


Also, I outlined most of the applique pieces, stitching right around the edges. There is stippling in the background.


My plan was to stitch a couple of straight lines around the border, but then I remembered this fancy stitch on my sewing machine. Cute, huh?


As I was trimming it for binding, a visitor showed up.

If there were treats in my bowl, I might be purrsuaded to give you back your quilt.


And then it was finished, except for the binding. It ends up at 15 x 18 inches. When I did the fancy stitch across the top of the quilt, I did a mirror image so that it wouldn't be upside-down.


It was getting to be time to stop by then, so I stopped for the day. Today I'll get the binding sewn on, and frankly, slow stitching the afternoon away sounds like a good plan.

At breakfast this morning I took some Tylenol to see if I might feel good enough to go to the quilt show. Then, I spent some time on the Sundress block. My fever only went down slightly, which helped me decide to stay home today. But I'm getting close to the end of the chain stitching on this. Just having that zig-zag dress bottom finished makes me feel much better about the rest of it. Turning those corners and trying to keep them tidy was a pain.


So that's it from the sick house. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. If nothing else, I should have a finish to show you.

13 comments:

Cheryl said...

I hope you feel better soon! I saw your quilt featured in the quilt show Facebook page. I was so excited for you, congratulations!

Brown Family said...

I am so sorry the shots affect you. I had Tetanus and Flu and no adverse reaction!I have been trying to get the new shingles shot for a week but the pharmacy is out and it is on back order. I like the cute stitched from your machine!

Sarah said...

It's funny you say that the pneumonia vaccine is for those over 60...I was offered the shot when I was 42 and said yes since I've had pneumonia several times. On the other hand, I've had all the indicators that I will get shingles (chicken pox, mono & bells palsy twice) but insurance refuses to cover the shot until I hit 60.

You made a lot of progress on the sundress (can I borrow some of your sun?!) while you were recovering yesterday. I hope you feel better in order to attend the show today!!

Sarah said...

Oh and I forgot to add that the car/camper stitch is adorable and perfect for your quilt!! Was this on a Bernina?

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

You are so talented--what a cute camper quilt you have made and that dress just gets prettier and prettier--
sorry the shots bother you and I don't get those kind of shots so don't know if they would bother me or not-and that is one reason I didn't get the shingles shot--well----let me tell you--I am paying the price--I have an 'Impressive' case of the shingles as the little ER dr called it when he seen me last Sat--needless to say I was in terrible right side pain for a week before I broke out and now have both the side pain and the shingle pain--so I will be ready to get the shots as soon as I am recovered enough to get them!!
and I probably have weeks yet ahead of me of pain and discomfort--so enjoy your couple quiet days and sew away--
enjoy, di

mckie2 said...

I believe I read somewhere that you shouldn't get the flu shot and the pneumonia shot at the same time. It said you should wait 2 weeks between them. I don't remember the reasoning for this but maybe it was just that people don't tolerate them together as well. Sorry you are feeling crummy. Susan

Cathy said...

I love your new quilt. The border stitching is perfect. I had a flu shot a couple of weeks ago and also had a reaction for the first time. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Quilting Babcia said...

Sure hope you feel better soon. I love the effect of those tiny red chain stitches on the sundress block, almost appears like very narrow chenille.

SJSM said...

What a trooper! So glad you did get the shots to keep you healthy and sewing for many years. I am up for my second dose in October. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Lyndsey said...

I had my shots today and I know just how you feel. Love the little camper quilt and those fancy stitches on the machine are so useful.

Claire said...

that car stitch is really cute.
I got to NW Expo today (Saturday) and saw your quilt. It was like seeing an old friend. :-) Hope you made it today.

quiltzyx said...

Sorry the shots gave you the yuckies. :( Hope that they do work to keep you away from the flu & pneumonia. I got the fancy new pneumonia shot a while back, so won't have to get another ever or at least for a very long time. I do need to get my flu shot tho'.
Fancy little cars with trailers stitch! Way cool!!

Kate said...

Sorry you have such a bad reaction to the vaccines, but it's probably worth it. It's been years since I've had the flu, but the last time I got it, it was not pretty. Love that decorative stitch from your machine, it's perfect for that project.