9/28/18

AGNYXTC

It's been years, but I can recall standing in a line somewhere when the gentleman standing next to me told me about a car he'd seen...I think it might have been a Triumph. It's the kind of car Mike refers to as a "Sunday shooter" because anyone who owns one has to spend their Sundays working on it to keep it running. In any case, it had a personalized license plate:

AGNYXTC

Do you get it? Agony-Ecstasy. It pretty well describes my day yesterday. "Agony" might be a bit of an overstatement, but I did feel pretty crummy for most of the day. It would have been a good day for sewing, but all I really wanted to do was lie on the couch. 

During this time, I received a text from my friend Sally at The Objects of Design. Sally was at the Northwest Quilting Expo and she wrote to congratulate me on my winning quilt...with a hot pink ribbon, presumably in Smitty's honor, she quipped. Thus, beginning the ecstasy part of the day. I had no idea nor any expectation that either of my quilts would win anything. There are some fabulous quilts at the Northwest Quilting Expo, and mine just aren't of that caliber. Just having quilts in the show feels like a win to me.

So I asked her to send me a picture...


Whoa...sure as shootin' there's a ribbon hanging next to it. As it turns out, I'd won the Shellie O'Donnell award, and I had no idea what it meant. As it turns out (Sally knew this, but I didn't), Shellie was a woman instrumental in the organizing of the Northwest Quilting Expo, and she passed away in 2016. A Google search will turn up many articles about Shellie and her contribution to quilting, but nothing about the award.

Finally, near the end of the day, I saw this post on Facebook explaining the whole thing. It was nine hours old by the time I saw it, and I'd missed it earlier in the day.

Well...that just warmed my heart. I'm glad it made them smile, and I thank them for choosing my quilt. It definitely brightened an otherwise dreary day. And thank you to Sally for sharing the good news with me.

As for the "agony" part of the day, around 3:00, I felt good enough to get off the couch, and so I sewed the binding on the Starry Night quilt, and then spent the rest of the afternoon hand-stitching it to a little finish.


Here's how it looks from the back.


We'll hang it in the new RV with some Command strips. They work really well for small quilts, and we don't even have to make holes in the wall.

So I wouldn't say I'm feeling tip-top this morning, but I am feeling significantly better. Certainly I feel good enough to head out to the quilt expo a little later on. First...some slow stitching on my Sundress block. I'm hoping to finish it off this weekend.

28 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congratulations -- that is the very best kind of award (to my way of thinking). Meaningful and special - well done!!

Quilting Tangent said...

Congratulations, you made them remember a special person.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Oh how great to get that award and to know that you helped a family remember an important person to them from your labor of love--
if you get the show today --enjoy, di

allier4 said...

What an awesome award to win! Love it.

Tilly said...

Congratulations with your lovely quilt,and such a spe ial price.Get well soon.

Janarama said...

Congratulations on another win and what a win it is. In my opinion, much more meaningful than a 1st place win picked by the quilt judges. Way to go Barbara!

Quilting Babcia said...

That is awesome! And this truly is way more meaningful an award then the usual 'judged' awards. Congratulations! And I love that little camper mini finish. It'll be a great addition to your home away from home decor. Enjoy the quilt show today!

Sally Trude said...

I'm glad you found out more about the reward, because the family choosing it really does make it special. Definitely the best of the awards. And now I'm wondering if she liked hot pink?!?!

QuiltShopGal said...

Congratulations. What a very special award and I'm so happy you received it this year. Glad to hear you are feeling better. I do so hope you can make it to the quilt show, just be sure to stay hydrated.

Jenny said...

Many congratulations on your award, such a thrill for you! And I love the small quilt you have just finished to hang in your RV. I have a couple of small New Zealand native bird quilts hanging in our caravan, plus a big bed quilt of course.

Lana said...

Your quilt makes me smile too! Congratulations and what a special award to receive. Hope you're feeling better.

DeeDee said...

What a wonderful award! Definitely well deserved.

Quilting gram211 said...

What a nice award to receive. A definitely warm tummy award. I really like your wall hanging for the new camper, especially the kitties😀. Hope you are doing better now.

Cathy said...

Congrats on a unique and quite special win!! Glad you’re feeling better too! I had a flue shot and the first of two shingles shots (the new one). Boy is that shingles shot a doozie. The shot itself is fine, but the aftermath (painful arm) is still evident four days later. I spent Tuesday in bed recovering from the shots. Anyway, congrats again!!

crazy quilter said...

Congratulations on your pretty ribbon! Well deserved. Hope you are getting better everyday. Darn shots!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Congratulations on winning such a special ribbon - feel better soon.

Debbie said...

Super. Congrats on the special ribbon!

Frog Quilter said...

Love the quilt and the camper stitching frame is perfect.

mangozz said...

What a nice surprise and what a beautiful quilt! I hope you can get to the show today. Congrats!

Debby said...

An award because your quilt touched their hearts. How could we ask for anything more in our quilting lives!

SJSM said...

What can I add but say congratulations! The quilt is a special piece in your completed projects and has a ribbon to decorate it. I hope you are feeling better soon.

I had a Triumph Spitfire in the dark ages, 1973. It was old then and modified. Good thing I worked part time for a mechanic. He taught me how to calibrate the many things that needed adjusting on a regular basis so I could take better care of it. It wasn’t street legal so I would avoid the car inspections run by the CHP. At the time they were mobile stations that were set up on an arbitrary road. Lots of U turns were done. It was a fun car but had many problems. Good thing it had a roll bar. My brother took it on a drive over a 35 foot embankment into a river bed. He missed the curve. He needed stitches in his head but that was all. The roll bar saved him and his girlfriend. The girlfriend was shaken up but didn’t have a scratch on her. Of course, the car was totaled.

Susan said...

Congratulations on the quilt win.

piecefulwendy said...

Congratulations, Barbara! It's well deserved, and what a neat honor to have your quilt chosen. Hope you are back to feeling 100% soon!

Claire said...

Cheers! I must have missed a row. Thought I had seen them all.

quiltzyx said...

That is truly a special award for you & your quilt to win - congratulations! I am so proud of you!!!

When I first looked at the finished Starry Night photo, I thought the green was a little stop border & the tan "gravel" was the binding! HAH! Nice carpet!

Kate said...

Congratulations on the ribbon! That is pretty cool and what a nice reason to have won. Glad that the vaccine crummy feeling backed off so you could go see the ribbon for yourself.

Brown Family said...

That is a very nice award. Congrats!

beaquilter said...

Congratulations on the ribbon! That quilt truly deserves it! Did it have a prize with it?