8/16/18

Still Smoky

We'd hoped the smoke would have cleared some by now, but no dice. There hasn't been a breath of wind for days, and so the smoky haze has settled in the valley, and it isn't moving. From what I've seen, Seattle is even worse than Portland. You can see pictures if you click on that link. Yesterday, I stayed in almost the entire day, but broke my outdoor boycott momentarily to check on the tomatoes. The kitties love it when I come out, and they follow me from place to place.

Smitty likes a good dust bath on a hot day, which explains the color of his fur.


He doesn't like the greenhouse, however, and when I headed off in that direction, he knew he wouldn't like it.


Sadie doesn't like the greenhouse either, but she still wanted Smitty to follow along.


There were several more ripe tomatoes in the greenhouse. I've been picking them as they turn red since a few of the Romas have fallen on the ground when left too long on the vine. I have enough now to make some Tomato Jalapeno Jam, which will be new to me. I'll have to let you know how it turns out. I won't be doing that before tomorrow, at the earliest.


Also I found another zucchini that should have been picked a day earlier. I have about a dozen zucchini hanging out in the crisper...most from our own plants, but a few from our CSA. I have a plan to try some Sweet and Hot Zucchini Bread and Butter Pickles. That too will be a new recipe. I've made bread and butter pickles from zucchini before. The recipe was fine, but nothing memorable, and so I'm trying something a little different this time to see if they can be jazzed up a little. The addition of a jalapeno pepper ought to do something.


Also on the canning agenda is some Carrot Cake Jam, which is my absolute favorite. Spread on some homemade sourdough, it's positively addictive. So I have three more items to can, but I won't get to them right away. It'll be spread into next week. On the other hand, we're going over to the beach next week, so who knows when it'll get done.

When I'd collected all the vegetables, I did some housework and then got to work cutting more strips for the black and white Rainbow blocks. I'm hoping I have enough to take me through the end of the quilt now. Since I haven't counted them, I'll just work away at them and hope for the best.


Then I cut the strips for the orange blocks.


Usually I make the colored blocks first, but I was feeling adventurous, and so I did the black and white blocks first this time. Then I trimmed and cut them, and they're ready to go.


The orange blocks were this far along when I needed to stop for the day. They go together pretty quickly, and so I'm hoping to get these finished today.


Today is busy, however. I'm getting my hair permed this morning, and then I'm hoping my hair won't be too frightening for a trip to the grocery store. There's a lot going on over the next few days. If the smoke clears, I'll be walking with Sue tomorrow, and then driving my quilts down to Salem for entry into the Oregon State Fair. It's possible to drop them off closer to home, but I don't mind that trip to Salem, and I'd just as soon skip the middleman. Saturday we're heading out to visit a friend for the day. Sunday and Monday I'll be packing the new RV for a trip to the beach next week. It'll be our first outing together in the new RV, and that makes it kind of exciting.

So, you can see there's plenty to do over the next week to ten days. Sewing might get short shrift.

11 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I hope the smoke clears for you soon. Your vegetables look great. Do you have a recipe for the carrot cake jam. It sounds quite interesting.

Denise :) said...

That smoke is awful when you're trying to breathe! LOL! I don't blame you for not wanting to be outside. Why don't the furbabies like the greenhouse? Too moist? Pretty oranges...it's not my favorite color, but I'm always drawn to it. Weird, huh?! :)

works4me said...

Here in southwest British Columbia we are smoky as well, from all of the fires in the Interior of BC. The whole situation is bad for everyone. Due to asthma, I am staying inside with the windows closed as much as possible.

Having said that, we pick up our CSA this afternoon and we dropped off 8 small quilts to the local car show and quilt walk which takes place this weekend. Even though I know I will not win anything, it is still a rush to see my quilts hanging in store windows. :)

Good luck in Salem.

Lyndsey said...

Carrot cake jam sounds very interesting. I've never seen a recipe for it before but I'm going searching in a minute. Good luck with your quits in the show. I've never shown a quilt but I donated one to be used as the major prize in a raffle and it was exciting seeing people looking at it and stroking it. I hope the smoke clears soon.

Quilting Babcia said...

This morning's news broadcast indicated the haze that we began seeing yesterday is from the southern California wildfires. Pretty incredible, nearly 3000 miles away. I hope you folks get some relief soon, not to mention those directly involved in those horrific fires. Have fun camping at the beach next week!

piecefulwendy said...

The smoke has cleared for the most part, here, but allergies are in high gear for some. We are waiting for the humidity to break and the glorious fall temps to settle in. I hope to continue sewing this weekend. Didn't get many posts done this week, since my sewing projects were just the Moda Blockhead block and another couple of six-inch blocks. I also did some handwork, but haven't posted on that yet, either. Had to smile when I saw those peaches tucked into those orange strips! Good thing you keep your fabric in season! Haha!

Californianativedaughter said...

The air here in the SF Bay Area was smoky in the morning, but a wind came up and blew the smoke away. Your picture of your cat with dust reminds me of the time our two cats(at that time) got into the fireplace and got cold ashes all over them! One cat WAS white and the other a tabby like yours. We tried washing them, but the soot wouldn't wash off, especially the white one, so over time he had to lick it clean. It was almost as bad as when they had a tussle with a skunk! Oh, what fun you can have with cats!
Rosemary

Ioleen said...

The smoke from the fires in B.C. has been with us all this week. Hubby and I always go for a walk after supper but lately have been driving to the mall and walking around there. I love your orange, black and white blocks.

Good luck with your Quilts

Kate said...

Carrotcake is one of my all time favorites, so that jam sounds very yummy.

quiltzyx said...

I've been so lucky this fire season - the smoke seems to have steered clear of my area for a change. Hope it clears soon for you.
Yep, zzyzx was one for the dust bath too. Brats!

I've been crazy busy at work, but at least our office is COOOOL! But when I get home I'm pretty much wiped out & haven't got much of anything done but reading & watching TV. I'm working at the Colleges most of today & a few hours tomorrow. Must force myself to do at least a couple loads of laundry when I get home!!

Great oranges for the RSC blocks. :)

Brown Family said...

I love the orange fabrics. Especially the one with the black kitties!