8/17/18

Rainbow Scraps: August's Orange

Yesterday morning, I finished off the remainder of Block 8 for the Heart & Home quilt. The correct name for this quilt is Home & Heart, but I kind of like the words switched around better. Here's the eighth of nine blocks. Just one more to go.


By all rights, the Snow Globes quilt blocks should be up next, but I'm going to finish the Pumpkin Pie block started during Meg Hawkey's class last weekend. It's just one block, and I don't want another unfinished project sitting around. It's anybody's guess why I started stitching in the middle of the block. Whatever my reasoning at the time, I've decided to move my hoop to the northwest corner of the piece and start where my OCD brain tells me to.


This block has a few fancy stitches in it, including the dreaded bullion stitch. Meg showed me how to do it in class that day, so we'll just see whether this old dog can learn a new trick, won't we?

There were a number of errands to run yesterday. First, I got my hair permed. I'm so much happier with my new hairdresser. I've been seeing her for about a year now, and she's worked a small miracle with my hair...not that it looks significantly better, but at least I'm happier with it. She's very attentive to my comfort level while she's doing a perm. Getting a perm is still unpleasant, but it feels less like torture than it did previously. After I finished there, I felt good enough to head out to the grocery store, and so that's done for the next few days too.

The air quality was terrible in town. It was bad enough when I left home, but driving into town with increased traffic and exhaust fumes made it worse. I have mild asthma that rarely requires me to use an inhaler. Nevertheless, I used it twice during the 3-4 hour trek into town. When I got home, I could actually see the valley below.


Remember the picture I showed you a few days ago?


There was still some time left in the day, and so I got to work on the orange blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I finished sewing the oranges together and then trimmed them to size.


Then I laid them out with their black and white counterparts:


And then I sewed them together. I was getting ready to take a picture when...uh-oh.


Purrdon me...there is a purroblem with the condition of my catnip bowl.


Purrhaps you could be purrsuaded to fill it, and then you may return to your regular purrogramming.


So, I plied him with some catnip, and then I was able to take my picture. Sheesh. Bossy.


There was some excitement yesterday when he and Sadie brought in a very-much-alive-and-feisty chipmunk. Sadie had it in her mouth and dropped it when I scolded her. (Scolding...as if.) The chipmunk was quick to escape. Those little suckers can jump! Fortunately, Mike was working from home and was able to help me catch it. I corralled the cats in a separate room and then gave chase to the chipmunk. When he jumped onto some aprons that were hanging on the wall, Mike was able to carry him outside, still clinging to the aprons, and set him free. Evisceration disaster averted.

Yesterday evening I went out to do some watering. While I was out, I checked the plums. Lookie there! Those are starting to turn. It will probably be at least a week before they're ripe, but they're coming along.


The wind came up a little by evening, but the tell tale red sky was still evident as the sun was setting.


When I got up this morning, the valley was still mostly obscured in smoke again.


Checking my phone, I noted that we were still under an air quality alert.


It seemed a good idea to give my lungs a break, and so I canceled my morning walk with Sue, which was kind of a bummer. We've missed our walks for several weeks running. I blame myself.

Today I'll get back to work on my embroidery, and then I should have some time this morning to try a new recipe for Small Batch Tomato Jalapeno Jam. I have enough tomatoes from our own plants to make this, and I have several jalapenos from our CSA shares. I cannot get enough tomato jam, and this year there have been enough tomatoes to try several different recipes. For now, my favorite is still Amy's Tomato Jam, but I'm open to testing each and every recipe until I land on the perfect one.

This afternoon, I'll be dropping my quilts off at the Oregon State Fairgrounds. The fair starts next week. This year, I'm entering the Quilting Snowladies...


and Quiltmaker's Garden.


Quiltmaker's Garden was finished just this past May. The Quilting Snowladies were finished a couple of years ago, but I missed the fair that year. We were traveling or something, and so I didn't enter anything. Fingers crossed my quilts will win ribbons, but that isn't the reason for entering. It's just so much fun to see your own quilts in a show, and that's reason enough to take the plunge.

So, it's an action-packed day as always. I'm going to try to breathe easy as I go.

15 comments:

Shirley said...

Both of your quilts that you are entering in the fair are just beautiful! Love those orange and black blocks. They just remind me of fall and that is a very good thing with the kind of weather we are having in Virginia. Good luck at the fair!

Sally Trude said...

Dear Smitty! Time to lay off the dried herb. I was astonished to see you standing next to a pile of pins. Even my pony knows to grab those and run.

Sadly disappointed,

Molly

WoolenSails said...

Love seeing the work on your different blocks, as always, beautiful work. I have a bunch that I need to make into a quilt. Those are beautiful choices for the fair, good luck! Our air is just too hot, but we do have a breeze tonight, mostly warm air though.

Debbie

SJSM said...

Bad air starting today. Time to get out the inhalers.
Your Quilters Garden surely will get something. All the pain and agony to figure out the piecing there must be very few that ended up as a quilt. The snowladies should bring a smile to the judges face. Smiles = recognition that should be honored.
I’m ready to try a second muslin on a pair of pants. It will need to wait until my 7-year-old student leaves. I’m hoping this pair will have the right crotch curve for my master pattern. Fingers crossed.

Kate said...

It must be miserable for folks with chronic asthma or other lung issues. But it looks like it's clearing up a bit. With the kitties around, you and Mike will never be bored. Wishing you lots of success with your fair entries this year. Have a great weekend.

Lyndsey said...

Great choice of quilts for the fair. I have one of the snow-lady patterns to stitch, probably next year. Picasso tried to bring a live mouse into the house yesterday but I managed to stop him and had to quickly run round to close the windows so he couldn't enter that way.

piecefulwendy said...

Sadie and the chipmunk reminds me of the time when a chipmunk got in our house. I had it cornered in our home office, and it ran out and almost across my foot. I shrieked; the chipmunk did a vertical about 2 feet, and then I got the giggles. We did finally get him back outside, but still makes me laugh when I think about it. Glad you were able to set him free for another day of fun with Sadie. Haha! Our air quality is awful here too, and my usually mild allergies seem to be in full swing. All your quilt projects are looking good, and I like your choices for the fair!

Kathy S. said...

Your orange blocks are purrrrrfect! Love those scraps. What is the name of the type of plum tree that you have. Those are the kind that used to grow on the fence line of my friend's property when I was a kid. We used to ride our horses up to them and eat them when they were ripe... and sometimes weren't ripe enough and we'd get bellyaches... but we loved them none the less. I have planted numerous plum trees on our property. No luck finding the right type yet. No luck getting fruit from my puny trees yet either... It's been at least three years since I planted them. But then on the other hand, it took about nine years until we got apples on my apple trees and this year we're having a beautiful bumper crop. Woohoo! Patience my dear... patience. It always pays off in the end.

quiltzyx said...

Hmmm, maybe you just felt like working on the words for the Pumpkin Pie stitchery when you started?

Ah, I am scheduled for a perm this coming week I think. I'm all thrown off now as my eye surgery has been pushed back a week. Personally, I think the doctor just realized it was scheduled for the Friday before the holiday weekend.

Mr. 'Nip man still needs to do some more work on those dusty paws! Love the blocks. :)

Ooooh! Plums look good!!

And great picks for your fair quilts this year too.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, how your ORANGE blocks make me want to rush upstairs to play in my string bin!!!

Sarah said...

Your quilts are real beauties, fingers crossed for a ribbon or two! And I agree those orange strings look sooo good against the black and white.

Quilter Kathy said...

Hope your air quality improves soon... that's scary!
Love your latest embroidery block!
Ooooohhhh the dreaded bullion stitch... good luck with that!!

MissPat said...

I live in western NY and believe it or not, last night the weatherman said our hazy skies are from the west coast smoke being carried here by the jet stream!
Your string blocks have given me an idea for my abandoned ones. I love how you set them with black and white strings. And your snowladies are impressive.
Pat

stitchingirlblog.wordpress.com said...

You have been super busy! I love your embroidery and those quilts you are entering into the fair are fabulous!

Brown Family said...

We have had Ozone alerts all week, so I have tried to stay inside as much as I can. Good luck at the fair!