5/28/18

Seize the Strawberries

It was a day to rest yesterday, although I managed to fill it up with an assortment of activities. Of course, I first poked the Quiltmaker's Garden repeatedly with needles, turning two corners on the binding.


I'm only about one-third of the way around the quilt, but the corners are half finished!

After that, I fed my sourdough starters, and used the half that was poured off the white starter to prepare another one for baking. When I fed it and left it on its own, it looked like this.


When I checked it later in the afternoon...about five hours later, I'm guessing...it looked like this:


A little slow, but definitely alive. Always a good sign.

After getting that going, I went outside to water the flower pots and took a little walk around. The first buds on the day lilies are showing themselves. These were a gift from Erik and Mae many years ago, and they are stars in our garden of neglect.


And look over there yonder...the dark purple iris are blooming.


In fact, quite a few of the colors are showing off right now. Here's the apricot one.


Here's this two-toned one. I've seen this one much more blue than it appears right now. Something different about the soil, I'm assuming. The grass growing thick in the bed must be stealing its thunder.


Also, this pretty two-toned purple. It's in the shade of a tree, and so it was a little difficult to photograph in such weird light.


Walking on, I noticed these little micro-flowers on a bush that was planted by the previous owner of our home. That was more than 16 years ago, and so I'm clueless about what this is. It turns bright red in the fall, and so I call it the burning bush. In the spring it gets these tiny flowers.


So, then, I couldn't put off any longer the tedious task of cutting the seeds off the strawberries. The strawberry ice cream is worth it, and if you must know, Mike's gut is worth it too. I'm always at a loss about what to do with the seedy sides. I've made strawberry shortcake from them before, but that means cutting even more strawberries for Mike. After cutting a pound's worth, I wasn't really in the mood. But then I got the idea to make some strawberry-infused vodka from them. Wouldn't you know it? I had a brand new fifth of vodka purchased just the day before.

So here's how this is done: Put the fruit (it can be anything) into a glass jar and pour a fifth of vodka over the top. All of the fruit should be submerged. Some fruits, like raspberries, can be used as is. Others, like cranberries, need to be chopped up a little bit. After that, let it sit at room temperature for 30 hours. Then, strain out the fruit and funnel the vodka back into its original bottle. Store in the refrigerator. You can use it in any beverage that uses vodka, or...if you like it...you can just drink it over ice. Here's how mine looked when I started it yesterday.


It'll be ready this evening when the sun crosses the yardarm. I see Strawberry Lemon Drop Martinis in our future. I've linked to a Lemon Drop recipe there. Just substitute the strawberry-infused vodka for the regular vodka. Yum. You can also do this with gin or rum. I've only ever tried vodka.

After that was done, I figured I'd do some sewing. There are two projects I'd still like to work on before the end of the month. One is to make the second row of blocks for the Shop Hop quilt. I did the embroidery for these a couple of weeks ago, and yesterday, I started sewing the blocks together.

We visited this shop on our ill-fated trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. We were staying in Estes Park when rains of Biblical proportions started up. That was the weatherman's term for it, not mine. You can read my blog post about it right here.


It was a nice little shop on the other side of the Rocky Mountains. I enjoyed the shop, and it was good to get a chance to visit before we had to run for our lives. You can read my post about the shop right here. It appears it's still in business, and its website is right here.

We visited this next shop on our trip across the Montana Hi-Line. This is a huge wheat-growing region, and so it was easy to find a good regional print. I recall the owner of this shop being quite a delight.


You can read my blog post about it right here. It appears the shop is still opened, but I don't find a web presence for it.

We found this next shop just on the other side of Wyoming's border with Nebraska. It was a fabulous shop for such a small town. You can read my blog post about it right here.


This shop was inundated by flood waters when the Niobrara River flooded in June of 2015. The shop was closed for some time, but has since reopened. You can read about the flooding aftermath right here.

Each row of my quilt will have eight blocks, and so I'm only halfway through this row. The last one I did yesterday was this one from Orchard's Edge in Bayfield, Wisconsin. This was a lovely shop in a gorgeous town right at the edge of Lake Superior. You can read my blog post about it right here. I was quite surprised to find it opened on the Sunday when we visited.


I chose this fabric because we had visited a number of lighthouses along the Great Lakes, including Split Rock Lighthouse, pictured on the left side. Sadly, the owner of Orchard's Edge passed away since our visit there and the shop has closed. On a brighter note, the owner's son has opened another shop in Ashland, Wisconsin. You can read all the details right here.

So that brings me to this morning. As usual..."Open, open, open."


The first thing I did was feed my starter. Forty-five minutes later, it looked like this. I think it's ready! I put a plate under its jar, just in case it overflows. I'm not quite ready to bake the bread, and so I'll just keep it going until Wednesday when I can start my three-day baking project.


And, hey...let's churn up some ice cream, shall we? I absolutely love my Cuisinart ice cream maker. It might possibly be the best small appliance ever. The "custard" sat overnight in the refrigerator to get it as cool as possible before starting this process. Into the chute it goes.


After ten minutes, I added the chunked up and now seedless strawberries.


Five minutes later...YUM!


Now it will go into the freezer and we'll have it for dessert tonight. Is it time for dinner yet? No? Sigh.

I'm using the recipe from America's Test Kitchens, which requires a membership, and so I can't link to it. It's a bit of a production to make it, and it will dirty every pan and bowl in your kitchen. Once a year, it's worth it. You can find lots of recipes for strawberry ice cream online, however, and so find one that looks good to you and then knock yourself crazy!

As for me, I'm going to go poke needles in the Quiltmaker's Garden for a while more this morning. Makes me feel all squishy just thinking about it.

12 comments:

Sandra W said...

Once again I am amazed at your energy and productivity! I'm tired just reading about what you do in a day. I really don't know how you do it.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

The photo you took of the 2 toned purple iris is beautiful--like it the best--and I remember making homemade ice cream in an old fashioned churn--we all took turns cranking it --was always the best tasting ice cream--but then we didn't have ice cream in the freezer like we do now days!!
I am also trying to 'crank' out the hand quilting on this months quilt I am trying to finish by Thursday--you are ahead of me--you are on the binding--I still have about 4-6 hours of just hand quilting to go before the binding phase!!!
enjoy, di

Lyndsey said...

Mmmm strawberry ice cream yum. I love your photos of the iris. We normally have several in the garden but this year they got broken down by Scamp and Picasso as they made sure a pesky vixen wouldn't be using the garden to have her cubs. Since you've posted such lovely photos and the vixen seems to have left the area I'm very happy.

Unknown said...

Effin Barb. You crack me up every time girl. Enjoy your dessert and after-drinks. I'm so glad you conquered that quilt, shows there is hope for all of us. But you didn't have to stomp it lol. Bad example for the kitties. Hope you feel better anyway, it is adorable and you should be proud.

Paula said...

Thank you again, for sharing your quilt stops as you work on your quilt. I've enjoyed visiting the websites and purchasing from one or two. Hopefully the shops benefit from your blogs, as we want them to stay open. We've been to Lickety Stitch 2 times, once before the flood and once after. The transformation is amazing! The store was nice before, but now there is so much more room to display great projects. We'll stop in again this summer when we drive through the area on our annual trip "home" to visit parents and siblings. Please keep posting about the various shops and enjoy your ice cream!

Unknown said...

I’m blaming it on you. Just ordered an ice cream freezer from Amazon. We enjoy ice cream every night so now we’ll make our own. Also, love your irises and kitty hi-jinx.

crazy quilter said...

Your iris are so pretty! I have only purple ones and they bloom here in Texas in March and April so my blooms are long gone. Since I relocated to a small town south of Dfw I did bring some of my Iris since they are so prolific they will get transplanted to their permanent home in September. In no time they will be thick as thieves as they were in my other house. I do hope the new owners enjoy them as much as I did. I am certainly interested in your ice cream maker! I would love one . I better go check on Amazon to see if they have one if not I am sure William Sanoma will . Enjoy your strawberry ice cream, it looks yummy.

Kate said...

I always enjoy your flower photos. Your garden rivals the St. Louis Botanical garden in blooms. I need to get My Guy to make some ice cream this summer. He didn't make any last year. He has the same ice cream maker you do. The SIT and I like his salted caramel recipe. Happy stitching this week.

Brown Family said...

Beautiful Iris. I wish mine would bloom that well!
Ice cream looks tasty! That would be a good way to use the frozen peaches I have!

Barbara said...

An experimental comment to see if it helps me get notifications. Hi y'all!

Sarah said...

I have the same ice cream maker! I made root beer ice cream last night. We are still waiting on strawberry season here. But when it arrives, I’ll be pulling out my trusty (non-custard) recipe right quick!

quiltzyx said...

I have a Cuisinart ice cream maker too....somewhere. I've been thinking of trying an ice cream recipe from The One Pot Chef - no custard, he uses sweetened condensed milk & cream (I think). It's supposed to be in the high 90s this weekend, so maybe I'd better look up that recipe!