4/12/18

Sewing in Black and White

Yesterday morning, I finished stitching the remainder of the hoop for the Friendship's Garden block.


After that, I went back to work cutting strips for the Rainbow Jubilee quilt. When I was finished, my bin overfloweth with strips. Do you think there are 576 there?


They weren't counted as I went along, but I did give myself a case of tendinitis in my left wrist. My wrist is immobilized today because it hurts to move it. Fortunately, I can still use my hand.

Anyway, whining aside (and one should never waste a perfectly good opportunity to whine), I was able to sew together the 16 blocks I needed yesterday afternoon. They went together surprisingly quickly.


From there, I trimmed them to 5-7/8 inches.


And then I cut them corner to corner. Half were cut from Northwest to Southeast.


The other half from Southwest to Northeast.


Now if your mind is feeble like mine, you might be asking what difference it makes which direction they're cut. Can't you just flip them over and have the same thing? And don't ask me about the geometry of this, but actually...no. Look at the cut ones below, and you can see for yourself that the stripes go in different directions. Now how is that possible?


By then, I was kind of tired of sewing...and my wrist was starting to hurt, and so I laid them out where I'll start today. Each colored block is laid with its stripes going vertically. The half square triangle blocks will be sewn to each of the four sides with their stripes going horizontally.


As I'm looking at that image above, I note that one of the stripes on the Southwest corner says "Be Happy." I should be sure to have that piece facing upward. It was just a happy accident.

This morning, I finished the next section of Friendship's Garden, and I've moved my hoop again.


I'm thinking I'll have this one finished in the next couple of days.

As for the rest of the day, I'll finish sewing my rainbow blocks together, but I'm also doing some cooking. Before sitting down here, I roasted some rhubarb for a Roasted Rhubarb and Ginger Streusel Tart. I made this once before. You can see my blog post about it right here. Here's how it looks when it's served up for dessert.


Here's the thing. I think rhubarb is part of a vast conspiracy of liar foods. If you ask me, it's really just celery dressed in red to make you think it tastes good. So, I'm not a fan of rhubarb, but it's pretty good when it's made into this here tart.

So why is my supposed-to-be-dieting self making up a rhubarb tart, you ask? Because my kiddos are coming for dinner on Saturday. It's the first time we'll all get together since we got home, and I can't wait to see everybody all at the same table. I'm making all the food ahead of time so that we can just sit and visit and enjoy one another's company. The tart was started this morning. I'll finish it up Saturday afternoon. Also today, I'm making a Texas Potato Salad. I'll be doing some more cooking tomorrow, but those are the only things on today's agenda. Aside from that...just sewing, sewing, and more sewing.

Outside it's rain, rain, and more rain. I'm actually dying to get out and pull some weeds, but the sun is going to have to shine before I'll be motivated.

11 comments:

Sher S. said...

What is Texas potato salad?? how is it different from regular potato salad? I love seeing all the stitching you're doing. Makes me want to start something, just not sure what.

Lady Jane said...

Everything is very pretty. Hope your wrist is ok soon. That happens to me also. Right now it is my shoulder and I don't know how I did it. The only thing I like rhubarb in is strawberry rhubarb pie. Oh dang I am sorry I thought about it, lol... Have fun with your family. Hugs, lj

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I knew we were 'kindred' souls--at least as far as our love of sewing, cats and whining go!! Yep --I think the older we get the more we whine--but then there is more to whine about--especially if one lives in a Senior apartment complex with '80' other, very bored, seniors!!! So I understand and applaud whining--so whine away!!!
and I too was never fond of rhubarb until years ago when I was a Nutrition Aide for the County and they used it in a cake--loved it then--but haven't had any in years!!!
enjoy, di

Quilting Babcia said...

Well, unlike you, we folks love rhubarb, and DH hates celery in the raw, so there must be a difference there somewhere! Anyway, do take care of that wrist, I did the same thing earlier this year, spending hours cutting pieces, only to have a wrist brace now that I wear at night. We quilters need to remember to change activities often so we're not overdoing in one area. I know, I know! Enjoy your get-together with your kiddos!

Kate said...

Sorry about the wrist problems. I guess your sewing muscles deteriorated while you were on your grand adventure. Hopefully you work them back into shape soon and your wrist will not bother you so much. Your RSC project is really coming together. Hope you get in some good stitching time today.

piecefulwendy said...

I just cut multiple strips the other day and had to give my right hand a rest (and a brace) too. This older body business is the pits. Your blocks are coming out nicely though, and that little Be Happy accident is perfect for a quilt block, I think! I have a rhubarb dessert recipe with a shortbread crust and meringue topping, and it is pretty darn good. Have a great time with your kiddos after not seeing them for a few months!

QuiltGranma said...

Looks like a beautiful scrappy quilt is on its way to becoming a very happy covering! Hubby's wrist has really been bothering him so he went to the drug store and got a really nice wrist brace. The price has gone way down since they came out a few years ago... this is the best one yet! Have you got one?

Lyndsey said...

I know what you mean about Rhubarb being a liar food. It really is like celery but does taste a whole lot nicer in the right tart. Hope your wrist stops hurting soon. I need to do some cutting but put it off as the wet weather has made all my joints ache.

Brown Family said...

I see what you mean about the half square triangles! I hope the tart is delicious!

quiltzyx said...

I recently read an article about rhubarb - that the rhubarb that is forced is tastier & needs less sugar with it. Plus it makes noises when it's growing because it is growing so fast! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2NMffyX2yw

Hope your wrist feels better by now. Gotta watch out for those repetitive motions.

The stitchery is going great too!

beaquilter said...

Sorry about your wrist... great b/w blocks!
Are all the centers going to be yellow?
And nooo rhubarb is not celery. I Love rhubarb but don't like celery....but then again I love
Parsley but can't stand cilantro, can't handle the smell!