11/30/17

A Seaside Day

Mike and I can get used to this habit of scheduling a sloth day into our travels at certain destinations. Yesterday was such a day, and it was lovely. There were some "life intrudes" things accomplished, but mainly, we just chilled.

We spent our day sunbathing...


And snoopervising some things going on outside...birds, mainly.


Also, we got a start on Earlene...the last bag lady.


Y'all convinced me to put sunglasses on her, and it was a good choice. She's looking like a real cool customer there. If you're stitching along with us, know that the November linky party begins today. Link up with your current bag lady right here.

Life intruded a little bit in the form of changing and washing the sheets on the bed. Our little RV washer is too small to wash sheets and blankets, although it will handle towels for two. They have three laundry rooms here at this big park. Since the park is abandoned right now, there was no waiting.


It was a short walk to this little building. And see that sign I've indicated there?


This is what is says:


Obviously, this whole park was under water after the storm. Wow.

Well...just the idea of that wore us out and we took naps.


About mid-day I tried something new. It's an adaptation of one of Ina Garten's recipes. I'm calling mine Three Cheese Lobster Mac and Cheese. We've been so steeped in lobster here on the east coast, it seemed like a good idea. Ina Garten uses bacon in her macaroni and cheese, but I didn't see why frozen lobster (or even crab) couldn't be used, and so I gave it a try. It was the most delicious comfort food...not that we were uncomfortable.


It made enough for dinner for two nights, and two small bonus portions for lunch. Here's how I did it.
                   
Three Cheese Lobster Mac and Cheese
adapted from Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa)

Serves: 6   

4 cups elbow macaroni
3 cups milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
8 ounces  Gruyere cheese -- grated
6 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese -- grated
4 ounces blue cheese, such as Roquefort -- crumbled
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
 large pinch nutmeg
5 oz. frozen cooked lobster meat -- thawed and large pieces chopped
4 slices sandwich bread (a good time to use heels)
4 tablespoons freshly chopped chives

Prepare macaroni according to the directions on the package, 9-11 minutes.  Drain well.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it.  Melt the butter in a medium pot and gradually add the flour.  Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Continuing to whisk, add the warm milk and cook for a minute or 2 more, until thickened and smooth.  Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, blue cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg.  Add the cooked macaroni and lobster meat and stir well.  Pour into six 16-oz. ramekins.

Place the bread slices in a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until you have coarse crumbs.  Add the chives and pulse just to combine.  Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the top of the pasta.  Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the topping is browned.

Enjoy.

After that dinner, our shadow selves needed to get out for a walk.


We walked out to the main road and crossed over to the sound side. There, we found this short pier with a gazebo at the end.


We wondered about who it belonged to and then noticed this sign.


Registered KOA Campers! That's us!!!

So we walked out to the end and watched the sun set. Mike was hoping to see the green flash.


As for me, I'm skeptical about this green flash business. I've never seen it, although I've watched for it many times with the Stanbro Men...all of whom claim to have seen it at one time or another. If you don't have any idea what I'm talking about then read about the green flash right here. It has its own Wikipedia entry, so it has to be true, right? And this being the Christmas season, I'm just gonna say, Bah! Humbug!

So, once again, I was pulled into this green flash watch...and we waited.


And waited.


And waited.


And guess what...nothing. I'd say "crickets," but actually, "geese" would be more appropriate.


Another sunset. No green flash. Bah! Humbug!

Turning around, we walked back to the RV, arguing all the way about whether the green flash is real.


Mike claims it is. I say no. What do you think?

Today we'll head South from the RV park. We expect to see the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, and there's also an associated museum. I'll say more about that in my next post.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who needs a green flash when you can watch a gorgeous sunset like that? Your photos are terrific and I'm certain it was even more beautiful seeing it real. Thanks for sharing. :-)
p.s. I've never seen the green flash either. We always watched for it when we went to Hawaii.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a great way to end a sloth day! I have never heard of the green flash, but still watching for it just to enjoy such a beautiful sunset - worth it.

Brown Family said...

A day of rest or sloth is always good. We never remember to take those days when traveling. I am hot sure about the green flash, either. It was a a beautiful sunset.

I have posted Thelma and I have started Earlene!

Vicki W said...

My meteorologist husband just explained green flash to me and how it happens. He was in the Navy and says he spent years at sea looking for it and never saw it. Now I know not to bother!

QuiltShopGal said...

My husband (considerably older) saw his first green flash last year. I hope you get a chance to see one, but I'm surprised you never saw one when you lived in California.
Sounds like you had a perfect day. The lobster indulgence is another motivator to make such a trip. Yumm.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Sandra W said...

I love your shadow-self photos. And especially when Smitty gets included.
I thought the green flash think was the optic nerve seeing red's complimentary--green. It works with dots of other colors too.
Some of those deserted rv parks look a bit desolate.

Kate said...

What a fun day! Love the sunset photos. They are so peaceful, green flash or no.

piecefulwendy said...

Well, if the green flash is real, then how come there are no pictures? Surely with all the photographers in this world and such a rare phenomena, someone would be able to catch it on film, right? (Or at least photoshop it in? Hahahaha) That sunset was stunning, no green flash needed (sorry, Mike). I've thought about trying that Ina Gartner recipe, but was hesitant because of the cost of the Gruyere cheese. I might be able to make it work with this smaller recipe, so thanks! Sounds yummy!

quiltzyx said...

Your version of the lobster, mac & cheese sounds delightful & looks delish to boot! The One Pot Chef has a mac & cheese version where he boils the pasta in milk - it's literally a 1 pot meal. I've been thinking of trying that. Could throw some fish into that too.

I've heard of the green flash, but have never seen it either. But at least you got a fabulous sunset out of it!

SJSM said...

Well, our tour on Okinawa did result in my seeing one green flash. The only one I’ve ever seen in my life. I thought I imagined it when it happened as I’d never heard of it and thought it couldn’t be real. It was the others around me who solidified my thought of seeing the flash. They were pretty excited and talked about how rare it was. So yes, I have seen one.