9/20/17

Quilt Shop: Sew Bernina, Minot, North Dakota

There are four quilt shops in Minot. In such a small community, one wouldn't think four quilt shops could stay in business. We went to the one nearest us. It was literally on Main Street in downtown Minot.


This is how the shop looks as you enter the front door. It's also an authorized service dealer for Bernina sewing machines, although that wouldn't help on this trip. We're traveling with Pfelicity, who prefers the Pfaff brand. I believe the woman walking toward me in the image below is the owner. She was doing books in the back office while I was there, and that seems like a pretty good indicator. Also...she was very friendly and helpful and she knew where everything was.


There were lots of pretty and fun quilts hanging on the walls. This one is called "A Slice of Summer."




At the front of the store was a large collection of books,


a display of notions and my favorite Creative Grids rulers,


and some pretty buttons,


It's a long narrow shop. this image was taken standing at the beginning of a long hallway lined with patterns.


To the left was a small room full of fabric. These would have been more appropriate for dressmaking.


Also, there were lots of woolens and supplies for those who like to work with wool.


There was a basket of woolen floss.


Back out in the hallway, I was intrigued by these many patterns priced for clearance.


I snagged this one by one of my favorite designers, Bareroots.


It's a little hard to see the quilt in that image above, and so I snagged the one below off Pinterest. I think you'll be able to see it better there.


There was a second room off to the left full to the brim with beautiful quilting fabrics.


Don't you think that yellow and black stripe in the middle of the image below was tempting? Yes, yes, it was.


There was a good supply of landscape prints.


And sock monkeys! Swoon!


Also, some beautiful batiks.


At the extreme rear of the store was a classroom and there was also an office just to the right and outside that frame.


So I enjoyed the friendly service here. I looked for a regional print, and I settled on this one below that reminded me of the sunset at our campsite in Theodore Roosevelt. It's more gold than the photograph would indicate, and those lacy leaves are gold metallic. I purchased a full yard, thinking I could use it in the Thanksgiving Wall Quilt pattern.


When she saw my selection, she pointed out this one, and I decided to purchase a yard of this pretty fall print too.


The lighter outlines and leaf veins are in metallic gold. I think I can find a way to use one or the other, or both, in the Thanksgiving Wall Quilt, but I'll use the first one in my Quilty 365.

So that was a fun and friendly shop, just minutes away from the fairgrounds where we camped last night. Ordinarily, I find quilt shops using the Quilt Shop app, but sadly, the app will no longer be operational with the next iPhone update, and so I've moved back to using the most recent version of the Quilter's Travelers Companion.


It's always best to call ahead to check hours and update addresses. You can purchase the Quilter's Travel Companion right here.

We're still in Minot as I'm writing this. I'm scheduling it ahead to keep up with my daily blogging schedule...just in case I can't get online while we're in Canada. You won't know the difference, will you?

Thanks to all of you who are leaving such nice comments. It's so much fun to travel with my quilting/blogging friends.

8 comments:

Shari said...

I'm thinking they may have a lot of quilt shops in Minot to keep them busy during the long winter months.

Brown Family said...

It may be a small quilt shop, but well organized to use the space. I like your two choices of fabrics!

Judy H said...

There are 3 quilt stores here in Helena and they all manage to carry 'different' ranges of fabrics. It works out very well and they all have a slightly different range of classes. Love having all these options.

gpc said...

It's always interesting to me to see which places I visit have a multitude of shops and which have none -- it stars those "I could open a shop" fantasies that I am famous for. Of course, given the state of my sewing area, organization and display is clearly not my strong suit. I have never worked with wool bit that is tempting to me, too. And I love the Thanksgiving quilt! Can't wait to see that one come together!

Lyndsey said...

Love the thanksgiving quilt pattern and your fabric choices, particularly the leaf one. You reminded me I need a trip to a quilt shop as I need some fabric for a border so I can finish off another top.

Dorothy said...

So, you swoon over sock monkeys too !!!!

quiltzyx said...

Always a PLUS when it's a friendly quilt shop! Nice gold metallic fabrics you chose - those catch my eye too, even though usually they are with the brights, instead of fall-ish colors. That yellow & black stripe would not have been left behind if I had seen it. I might have even put other fabric down so I could get it! LOL

Continued Happy Trails to you!

Kate said...

Love your new acquisitions. Those two will make a beautiful fall quilt or wall hanging.