9/20/17

From Theodore Roosevelt NP to Minot, ND

We're traveling the Great Plains states now, and that means it's flat country. There's barely a ripple in this terrain.


What you see in North Dakota are fields of sunflowers and rolls of hay.

When we started the day, the kitties were in their places...tired after a night of keeping everyone else awake. Smitty was in his cubby...


Sadie was snuggled up in a quilt.


This is also oil boom country, and the flames from stacks could be seen burning all over. Mike explains to me that when they are drilling for oil, they also hit deposits of natural gas. The gas is burned off, rather than releasing it into the atmosphere. Also, burning it prevents explosions.


In some areas, the flames seemed quite incongruous with the rest of the landscape.


As I mentioned in an earlier post, we stopped for lunch at a lovely overlook of the Four Bears Bridge and Lake Sakakawea. The bridge has several names, and you can read about it right here.


The lake is enormous. We tried to find the dam on the map, but were unable to. Looking back over my shoulder from the image above, here is a panorama of the area.


I took a picture of the map, and amped up the saturation of the lake so you can see how big it is. It reaches nearly halfway across the state of North Dakota.


Did I mention that the landscape is flatter than flat?


We were on our way to Minot. I wanted to show you the little blurb from our AAA tour book about Minot. It's a town with a storied past.


Also on the way, I managed a shot of one small barn.


We're continuing our experiment with non-traditional RV spots by staying at the North Dakota State Fairgrounds. Ahead of us are the livestock barns for the fair.


Behind us is a lovely park setting.


We got Smitty out for a walk here. If you look carefully, you can see Ms. Sadie Houdini in the catio there. No more walks for her.


There are four quilt shops in Minot, and we visited the one closest to us. I'll tell you about that in a separate post.

By the time you read this, we will have crossed the border into Canada on our way to Riding Mountain National Park. We'll be staying in a traditional RV park, and if the park wi-fi is up to the task, I'll be able to blog from there. If not, then it could be a while before we catch up again. From Riding Mountain, we're planning to head over to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls before crossing back into the USA. There will be a lot to see along the way, but it is a journey of over 1,200 miles, and so it will be a journey of about a week.

I'm scheduling these posts to appear on separate days...kind of a cheater way of blogging daily. Hopefully, the time away will be short, but if not, then you know I'll catch up with you on the other side.

6 comments:

gpc said...

You've got me musing . . . I've never driven anything bigger than a compact car, so I'm afraid my motorhome fantasies will remain exactly that, but I am thankful to enjoy the sights along with you. :)

Kristin said...

I am living vicariously through you. :-)
I LOVED Niagara Falls! We hit the American side at the very beginning of the day, so it wasn't crowded when we got there. I'm looking forward to a return visit in a couple years.

crazy quilter said...

I love traveling the country thru your blog post! Looks like you are finding all the fun spots. I never would have imagined North Dakota was flat?? Guess I am thinking about the Black Hills of Sought Dakota. Poor Sadie she was bad and now is in time out. Oh well better that than she escape in some strange place. Keep on having fun!

Brown Family said...

That is a big lake and interesting history of the town!

quiltzyx said...

If I was looking at a map of that lake, without having you as my tour guide, I would have thought that a lot of it was just a river! You teach me something new all the time! Thanks!!

The North Dakota State Fairgrounds has a nice park look behind your rig. The L.A. County fairgrounds would not be so lovely! LOL

Glad to see that Smitty is being a good guy on his walks outside. Neener neener Sadie!

Kate said...

It's amazing how diverse our country is. I didn't know that North Dakota was that flat. Hope you are enjoying your journey.