8/29/17

Useless

Yesterday I was moving slowly. Originally I thought I'd finish up the latest block for It's Raining Cats and Dogs and then make myself useful doing something more productive. Only...I dragged my feet getting into the sewing room all morning, and by the time the block was finished, there was no time to do anything useful. What a shame. Guess that refrigerator will have to wait to be cleaned.

Eventually I did make my way into the sewing room. The first task was to choose a different fabric for the cat on the right. Originally, my choice was so light, it barely showed on the light background fabric. It took quite a while to settle on a fabric because I wanted to stick with the diagonal lines like the cat on the left. The green in this quilt is more on the aqua spectrum, and so I had trouble finding something that was (a) the right color, and (b) not too bright. Finally, I decided on this one.


Once that was settled, I went to work top-stitching the applique and adding both machine and hand embroidery.


After that, the only thing left to do was to add the hot fix nailhead embellishments, and the block was finished.


The next time I work on this...not until next spring...I'll be doing this block:


Oh look! It's the catnip dispensary. You gotta think this is a green state, don't you?

Also, the last of the Monday Mini's was released last week. This week's installment was the finishing instructions. I've printed them off and paired them up with some fabrics from my stash and the finished blocks. Now they're kitted up and ready to go along as one of the quilt tops to finish while we're traveling.


The only other thing I did yesterday was to get a head start on Matilda...my Bag Lady for the September stitch-along. If you're stitching along with us, you should do whichever block you like.
As for my Matilda, I decided to stitch from the bottom up this time, and I'm off to a good start.


And if you are stitching along, be sure to come back on Thursday when the August linky party goes live.

When I came upstairs, there was a rumble just getting under way. Sometimes Smitty needs to assert his dominance. I encouraged him to find another job and leave Sadie alone.


Today I need to be a little more useful. There are things to do in the trailer in preparation for our trip, and I must clean out the refrigerator...a most hated task. As I've said before, if we can put a man on the moon and invent a washing machine with no agitator, why can't someone invent a self-cleaning refrigerator?

15 comments:

Lynette said...

That turquoise is gorgeous in the block! Love the whole thing. And I can never believe how much your Sadie looks like our Boo-girl.

Brown Family said...

I like the crystals on the kitties! I have not decided on what to use to finish my mini's. I have been busy using the embroidery module making Christmas items that I have not had time to think!. I have to encourage both my boys to leave Angel alone. If one gets aggressive, the other wants to join in. At least she will fight back!

Lady Jane said...

Love this colors in your quilt. Kitties are so cute!!! I haven't made any bag ladies but love to see them and how you embellish them. I have a cat and puppy. Poor kit kat gets harassed by the puppie and I have to finally put a stop to it. Hugs, LJ

Beth said...

I'm a fan of the new cat on that block. When I anguish over such choices, Johnny always murmurs, "We're down to the fine points", which may be true, but it's the fine points that make all the difference, right? In this case, the new cat adds a lot to the block.

I'm really loving this quilt. With five indoor cats--thanks to our adoption of a pregnant stray and my inability/unwillingness to adopt-out any of the kittens--we often feel like a Cat Hotel. Mama Cat likes to treat us like her staff, that's for sure.

As always, it's a joy to see Sadie lounging about, relaxed and happy. Thanks for sharing your day.

Angie in SoCal said...

You did a lot! Not much I could do in 110 weather. I did survive. I'm with you about refrigerators - ugh. Love your blocks!

Julierose said...

JUST THE CUTEST KITTY BLOCKS...hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

I'm right with you there, the refrigerator cleanup is a job that is right there on the back, and bottom of the to-do list! But I guess when you're leaving town for awhile it just has to be done. Love the new kitty on the block - good choice of fabric for her. I wonder if Sadie and Smitty are aware of the upcoming BIG adventure they're about to embark upon! They better make up real quick-like!

Lyndsey said...

Love the kitty block. I haven't done a lot on Constance this month but slowly getting her done.

Doreen said...

A self cleaning frig.......great idea....let me know where I can order one! The kitties are so cute...and the frig awaits...........

quiltzyx said...

I think you should make the cat at the catnip dispensary look like Smitty. We know how he is... The block came out great with the change in cat color. No more lost kitty!

WoolenSails said...

I am dragging my feet and got nothing done, lol. YOU sure did a lot in one day and I love the new appliqué. I see patterns but seeing it done up, is so much nicer than a photo.

Debbie

Vroomans' Quilts said...

My fridge needs cleaning, too. Was hoping my daughter would tackle it while here, but she did help with getting the new sewing room moved along a little more for me. Moe has been very gentle with Bella, who is failing more and more. She spent the last two days just sleeping in the spare bedroom away from everything - I may have to make that hard decision soon.

piecefulwendy said...

We're supposed to clean the fridge? (Just kidding, I do know that. Now. hahahaha) Mine needs it too, so when you're done, feel free to stop on by and take care of mine. Your kitty block is so cute; the change in the last kitty is purrfect. Can't wait to see your version of the Marvelous Monday quilt. The days are winding down and soon you'll be on the road!

crazy quilter said...

So glad bad Smitty came home. I know you both were worried sick! He is in the 'dog house' as they say now. I think he is remorseful for making you worry, but the catio for him for a while . Your blocks look great! Keep on sewing! Hug the kitties from Texas!

Kate said...

The replacement kitty works really well. I lost my fridge cleaner to college. She wasn't automatic, but needed money often enough that I rarely had to clean it myself. Oh well, I guess all good things must end.