12/20/16

Keep Calm and Bind On

It was an early start to my sewing day yesterday. I had the binding sewn on Gingerbread Square before noon. After that, I was ready to start the hand sewing. Fortunately, I had someone to keep me warm. I think she's going to become the resident warmth tester for all new quilts.


Life is good.

At some point, I tipped back in my recliner and took a nap. Even with a nap, I managed to turn two corners yesterday. That peppermint striped fabric is perfect for a Christmas quilt binding. It's been used on several quilts. I'll mourn when it's all used up.


The strips for this binding were already cut, and for some reason, I made the binding about ten miles longer than I needed to. Now, I'll need to make another Christmas quilt to go with the binding. Things could be worse, definitely.

Also yesterday, I stitched the remainder of the left side of the Hocuspocusville block. I'll set this aside for a day or two while I finish up the binding.


Finally, I made a string block for the December Block Lotto.


Join me on the Block Lotto Blog
blocklotto.com


It's been a couple of months since I've made a block for the Block Lotto. This one is made from leftover bits of binding.


The only thing left on my to-do list for the month is the next section for Quiltmaker's Garden. It's paper-piecing, and you just know I'll be dragging my feet getting to it.

Speaking of dragging my feet, Mike is off now until after Christmas. This morning we're heading out for breakfast and then to the grocery store. It's always nice to have someone along to buy breakfast and push the cart. And then...getting home and putting all that stuff away. I'd say the day is going to get off to a good start. There should be plenty of time to bind on. Paper-piecing is iffy.

7 comments:

Sher S. said...

you can always use the red and white stripe binding for Valentines Day quilts too. You are just moving right along, great job.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

There is something about a stripe binding and when you have a good one, you do mourn it's passing. You have almost 2 meeks to get those bits of paper piecing done (or not).

quiltzyx said...

Maybe you should start looking for the candy cane striped fabric NOW, before you run out. Stave off the mourning for another time. ;)
Tell Sadie that I said she's doing a great job warmth testing the quilts!

Brown Family said...

I do like the candy cane striped binding. Too bad you will have to make another Christmas quilt!

Dana Gaffney said...

That picture looks so cozy with Sadie curled up and you hand sewing. I still keep my eyes open for a red and white stripe that I loved, lots of stripes out there, but not quite what I had.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm attracted to stripes, so I agree that your candy cane binding is just the thing. Happy that you have enough for another quilt, which is always a bonus with those fabrics we love. Have fun shopping with Mike. I got my grocery run done yesterday (I hope). Today I'm doing some paper piecing, which I enjoy now and then. Enjoy your day! Wendy at piecefulthoughts@gmail.com

Kate said...

Love the binding, it is perfect. Hope you and Mike are enjoying the holiday season.