So, I've marked in hot pink ("hot" for how hot under the collar it made me) the obstacle to success on this project. Below is the extent of instruction given.
Okay, well that all sounds simple enough until you actually try to do it. It took me three tries to get that seam sewn right so that the flower would lay flat. Here's how it looks.
And what about that center, you ask? Oh...no problem (snicker)...just sew a button over it. What could possibly go wrong in the washing machine?
Well, I suppose if you never plan on using or washing the quilt, a button would suffice, but honestly... I'm going to applique a little circle over that center. I might still end up sewing a button on, but do they really expect you to leave those raw edges? What's to keep the batting from pulling through that hole? Ridiculous.
As I've been writing this post, I think I see how to finish up the final seam on the flower. (There are still 10 more to go!) I'll have to make freezer paper templates for the first and last piece so that the quarter-inch seam allowance is already measured out. Doing it the traditional paper-piecing way really doesn't work because there's no way to cut the raw edges of pieces 1 and 14 so that they fit together properly. It took me three tries because I was trying to press in the seam line and then trim the seam allowance afterward.
Keep in mind that Quiltmaker, in its wisdom, saved this seemingly impossible section for the fifth of five parts. If this had been the first of five, I would have quit at the beginning. As it is, I've finished practically the entire quilt, and only this small bit stands between me and a finished quilt. Quiltmaker, I will never forgive you for this. If we were married, I'd divorce you...or perhaps murder for hire...
On a brighter note, my starter for the Virtual Group Bake is coming along nicely. After reading some of the comments from other participants last night, I got up out of bed and fed mine again using 50g more of AP flour and 50g of water. When I got up this morning, it looked like this:
The bubbling action is very encouraging, and so I fed it again this morning with another 50g of AP flour and 50g of water. We'll see how it does in another 12 hours.
When I opened the curtains this morning, it was kind of pretty outside.
The sun is shining and there is a cloudless sky. I want to be sure and get outside for a walk. Also, the bird feeders need filling. There is a little bit of housework to do today, and I'll continue on with the infuriating flowers. Hopefully, we'll get along better today than yesterday.