The background fabric on this makes the paw prints harder to see than they were on my practice piece. After doing this first block, I decided I would want to make them larger. For this one block, they're fine. When I'd stippled the whole block, I quilted some whiskers onto the cat's face.
And then I outlined the cat and quilted some stripes onto his body. I didn't want to quilt the cat too densely since there is already so much stippling.
After that, I was ready to quilt the sashings. First, I practiced the motif a little. These first ones were a little off, but after working my way across a line of them, I was satisfied.
First, I marked off little hash marks in the center strip of the sashing so that I'd get them evenly spaced, and then I went to town.
That's a busy background fabric, and so it's probably easier to see them from the back.
Then I outlined the cats in the cornerstones.
When those were finished, the first block was quilted. One down, eleven to go.
I took it downstairs where I can get good contrast next to my living room windows. Here's how it's looking so far.
Also, this gave me a chance to conduct a snuggleability test with my able-bodied tester. It's looking pretty good.
Before I quit for the day, I started on the next block. These paw prints are quite a bit larger. I quit when I'd finished stippling the whole block. Next, I'll start quilting the yellow cat and continue as before.
Mike and I went out for dinner last night. We were celebrating 200 days until retirement. Whoopee! And now...199 days. When we first started counting, we were at something like 648 days. Time is passing...little by little.
Today I'm hoping to finish at least two rows of blocks. If I can do a row each day, I'll have it finished by the weekend. That might be an ambitious goal since I'm going to can some more applesauce today too. It's pretty easy, and so it shouldn't take too long.
I'd planned to do the applesauce yesterday. Erik and I had breakfast together and then I ended up at the Container Store to purchase a liner for my pantry shelves. The shelves are wire, and when I put containers that don't have a wide enough base (like a half-pint jar), things want to fall over. That is kind of a problem with my home-canned goods. When they fall, they go like dominoes. Anyway...all of that to say that I ended up rearranging my pantry shelves, and so the applesauce venture was put on hold.
So there you have it. Cats and applesauce. My week is mapped out.