6/3/15

Quickie

This is me checking in one last time before we take off on our trip tomorrow. I've spent the last three days cooking, mixing, and packing food for a week for four people. That was a challenge, and I've been sweating bullets about whether I could actually get it all into our tiny little truck camper refrigerator. I'm here to say that I DID IT!

You might want to fasten your seatbelt before reading on, because these pictures are going to blow you right out of your socks. Here's a very exciting picture of the contents of our refrigerator:


Stuffed to the gills. I'll just point out that those plastic tubs that salad greens come in are dynamite for packing small refrigerators. Like the overhead bins, things tend to shift and fall out while in flight, and those help to keep things on the shelf.

Now, get a grip on the arms of your chair because I'm about to show you the freezer too:


I KNOW! Positively thrilling, isn't it? Well, you probably had to be there, but I was pretty happy to get this all packed up because it means we won't need to drag along an ice chest.

We will need to stop at a grocery store once we cross the border. Since my last post, I've learned that poultry products, including eggs, are not allowed in from the United States (and I'm guessing vice versa). Both countries have had outbreaks of avian flu that is decimating the poultry industry in the midwest. There are a couple of other things on my list as well, and I'll be adding whatever gets confiscated at the border. Erik and Mae are getting most of the veggies from our most recent CSA, but I kept the carrots and two heads of romaine lettuce. I'm really hoping they won't take those away from us since that CSA lettuce is so nice and fresh.

Now I just need to pack up the things I'm going to wear and those other things that most people keep in their bathrooms, and we'll be on our way. It's possible to make it to Whistler, B.C., in a day, but it would be a brutal day. We're doing it in two days both coming and going. I'm guessing I'll find a quilt shop or two along the way, not to mention the beautiful scenery in Washington and British Columbia.

As an FYI, I am taking my laptop. I'm planning to blog some, but probably not every day. We're going with friends, but I'm guessing there will be some quiet time when I'll be able to check in with my blogging buddies.

Til later...

11 comments:

Junebug613 said...

Good job! Not everyone can appreciate a difficult packing job.

Diane Wild said...

I was beyond thrilled to see your packed fridge. Have a wonderful and safe trip.

salamanda said...

You will love Whistler and camp site is good. We stayed there for 4 days as part of 6 week trip from Calgary to Vancouver via lots of beautiful places. You do not want the contents of your fridge or cabinets coming out - especially on a hair pin bend falling on your youngest child. Some of the smaller roads in BC really tested our packing skills.

Quiltsmiles said...

Looks like you're all set. Have a safe yet fun time and enjoy! Little whine here, I miss our camper!!!!!

Snoodles said...

Bon voyage!!

Sandra W said...

As a Canadian, hope you enjoy your trip and welcome!
I think the only problematic items for food crossing the border are soft cheese, nuts, and fruits.
And, of course, no guns. I presume you aren't packing.
Have a safe journey. I hope we will hear from you.

works4me said...

Nice pack job.

Quilted Bear in Ladner, BC is a really nice shop, and one that displays a few of my quilts :). If you drop in, tell them that Kathleen sent you. Not open Sundays.

Also, Wineberry Fabrics in Surrey, BC is quite nice. Not open Mondays, I think.

Just to warn you: you will get sticker shock if you manage to get to the Canadian quilt stores. We sure seem to pay a lot more for that extra 3 inches of fabric in a meter. lol But, the two shops I mentioned not only have varied stock, and good people, but their prices are pretty reasonable, too.

Enjoy your trip.

quiltzyx said...

I am sure glad that I was sitting down when I saw these photos, otherwise I might have hurt myself falling to the floor. That & not being able to get back up again... You did an amazing job cramming all that stuff in there!!
Have a fabulous time & safe travels!

Lyndsey said...

Safe journey and have a great tip. Looking forward to reading all about your adventures.

Kate said...

Hope your trip is going well. I always feel so much better once the car is packed when we are taking a trip. I always wonder if it's all going to fit.

Brown Family said...

It is amazing what you can get into those tiny cold boxes!