10/31/14

Tiny Tim Finished

Looking for the October NewFO Linky Party?
Click right here.

This afternoon, I put the finishing pieces on the third section of the Wind in the Whiskers quilt, known as "Tiny Tim".


The cat's face will be machine embroidered when I do the top-stitching and quilting. When it was finished, I laid it out with the two other blocks I've completed. A good portion of the first section (lower right corner) is missing, and won't be added until all the sections are sewn together. Also, the two lavender flowers on the left side of the second section will overlap the border when that is added at the end. Even with those pieces missing, I'm liking the way this is looking so far.


It's certainly the most complicated and detailed applique I've ever done, made even more so by all the mistakes in this section of the pattern. I mentioned in my post from yesterday that I'd uncovered some serious errors, and today I happened on yet another. Now that it's finished, I'll give you the definitive changes you need to make if you are going to tackle this pattern.


As I said yesterday, the pattern completely leaves out branches 2, 3, 4 and 5. I wasn't expecting to be telling you how to do this, and so I've made some rather rudimentary chicken scratches on my own pattern, but here's what you need to know:

When you get to step 3i, it should say, "Leaf 15, blossom I, Branch 2 and Branch 5". Also, when you get to this point, you can fuse down the cat on the branch that you will have made earlier.

When you get to step 3l, it should say "Leaf 13, Blossoms J and L, Branch 3 and 4".

From there it looks pretty good until you get to Step 3r. There, the instructions are completely wrong. It should simply say "Leaf 11". Leaf 14 and blossoms B and C were added way back there in step 3h. This is clearly an error in simple proofreading.

Okay, so enough ranting about the pattern. The section is finished, and I'm happy with it. Hopefully, things will go more smoothly when I work on section 4 called "The Local Branch".


Cute, huh? But that will need to wait for another day. I'm ready to work on something else now.

Are you expecting spooks at your house tonight? In 12 years here, we've never had a single trick-or-treater. I don't even bother buying candy any more because you know where that ends up, don't you? We'll just have a quiet evening at home. Nothing much on the agenda for the weekend either. It's sounding better and better.

8 comments:

Marei said...

Despite all the angst...was there cussing, hair pulling and feet stamping?...you've done a wonderful job with this. The sections you've completed look great together. I'm not expecting any ghoulies, goblins or spooks tonight. And good thing because I already ate the candy!!

Andee said...

Way to perservere through that pattern! :) It looks great!

Christine M said...

You're doing a great job, Barbara. Just think about how great your quilt is going to be when you finish it.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

THis is looking so pretty - thank you for laying it all out - and for sharing all your hen-scratch to help out others. We haven't had any 'treaters' here in probably 40 yrs. - too out of the way and too dark. Our town just does the 'trunk or treat' with activities in town from 4-6pm - there is a 8pm curfew (since Irene).

Kate said...

Your attention to detail is certainly paying off, this section looks great.

We didn't get as many trick or treaters as in previous years, but we got a few. Currently I have 5 teenage trick or treaters zonked out on the living room floor. They had an excellent night.

Dana Gaffney said...

Wow, for the price of those patterns I would expect them to be perfect. I'm glad you're sharing your notes. It is really beautiful though.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

'Tiptpo thru the Tulips'...oops, wrong Tiny Tim. If I did one of those, I'd pull my hair out. Good job.

quiltzyx said...

Glad you see you still persevering through those crapola instructions! It looks wonderful!
I didn't buy candy either - didn't even hear any Trick or Treaters walk by here. But another friend had something like 300 of 'em - now THAT'S scary!