10/24/14

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Happy Campers

Amy's Creative Side

It's here! The Blogger's Quilt Festival for Fall, 2014. Thanks to Amy's Creative Side for posting this semi-annual event.

Today I'm showing off my quilt "Happy Campers".


This quilt was inspired by the art work of Portland artist Rachel Austin, who graciously gave me permission to use her original art work to make this quilt. She does the cutest stuff. You can see more of Rachel's work here in her Etsy shop. I saw Rachel's multi-media prints hanging in a restaurant some time ago, and eventually got around to making the quilt blocks I wanted to make.

These are Rachel's original pictures as I saw them:


And these are the quilt blocks I made from them. 


There is enough going on in this quilt that I didn't want to add any more design with the quilting. I used invisible thread and just stitched around the edges of the applique and the embroidered lines.


Then I stitched around the blocks.



I stitched around the lines in the fabric, outlining the trailers, doors, and awnings to give them more dimension without adding more design (if that makes sense). It's a little hard to see in these next images, but I'm hoping you can get the idea. 


You might be able to see it better in this next image.


I made this quilt to hang over an ugly plumbing access panel in our 5th wheel trailer, and it certainly brightens up the room.



This is my 8th time participating in the Blogger's Quilt Festival. I started blogging in July of 2010 and started participating in the quilt festival as soon as I discovered it. Unless I miss my guess, that would have been in the Spring of 2011. You can see my previous entries into the Blogger's Quilt Festival right here:


For this Fall, 2014 Festival, I entered two quilts. You can see my other quilt, "We Are the World" right here.

Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you enjoy the rest of the show. Now head on back to the festival and give my fellow participants some quilty love.

Blogger's Quilt Festival Stats:

Finished quilt measures: 30 x 30 inches
Special techniques used: Applique, Free Motion Machine Embroidery, and Free Motion Quilted
Quilted by: Me! On my domestic sewing machine.
Best Categories: Small Quilt, Applique, Home Machine Quilted, Original Design

10 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

this is just so very cute Bsrb

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

this is FUN!!! Love it...so darn cute :)

thepiececorps said...

Luv it!

Diane Wild said...

Perfect quilt for the 5th wheel. Love it.

beth said...

Oooh! I love it!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I think this little piece is so fun!

Dasha said...

Think this might be the first time I have seen the whole quilt finished. Looks great in its final location.

Kate said...

I was going to say this is one of my favorites that you've made, but I think all of your quilts are favorites. It turned out beautifully.

quiltzyx said...

Nice to see the Happy Campers again!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I love this camping quilt too...especially it being hung IN your camper! I'm sure it helps your little camper feel like your home away from home. :)