5/29/14

Stopped Dead in my Tracks

This morning I saw this lovely sentiment on Facebook:


Unless it happens to be the same fricking problem you had with your sewing machine last week!! I am beside myself with frustration.

It bothered me when I picked up the sewing machine last week, and they couldn't really tell me what had caused the problem except to say that I might need to purchase a new bobbin case. Mike, who can fix anything (except sewing machines), always says that a problem that repairs itself without any notion of what went wrong in the first place can be expected to return. I heard his words as I left the repair shop, and sure enough, the problem was back this morning. And now, the shop's technician won't even be back until June 7th. It looks like Big Bertha is out of commission for at least another two weeks.

Fortunately, I now have Pfelicity, who will at least allow me to continue sewing on some of my other projects. I'm happy not to have to be fighting the Janome again. And speaking of the Janome, I've had not a single nibble trying to sell it. One of my local quilt shops has a promotion coming up next week where I can donate the Janome and get 25% off any accessory for Big Bertha. There are a couple of feet I've been eyeing for a while, and so I'll just do that. The Janome will go to someone in need who might not be able to have a sewing machine otherwise. It'll be fine for garment sewing...it just isn't a very good machine for piecing quilts.

Still, I'm pretty bummed about Big Bertha, and that's the plain and simple truth of it. Mainly I'm bummed at not being able to finish the quilting on We are the World. It seems as if I've been working on it for a very long time, and to be stopped yet again is frustrating. I guess I'll just get on with my day and go grocery shopping, which feels a little like poking myself in the eye with a sharp stick...and, frankly, that might be preferable right now. Maybe I'll feed the birds instead. I hope your day is going better than mine is.

And honestly, how bad can it be? No one has died, and that's my yardstick for the goodness or badness of any day. If no one has died, it's a good day.

18 comments:

quiltzyx said...

How frustrating! Sheesh. Poor Big Bertha, I imagine she's beside herself as well.

I think you should pet the cats instead of grocery shopping, if you don't HAVE to go there!

((((hugs))))

Teresa in Music City said...

UGH!!!!! Few things more frustrating than a machine acting up! Glad you have a backup that you are now happy with, and that you have a plan for the day which does not involve poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick :)

Tami C said...

So sorry that Bertha is causing you more grief. I sure hope they can figure out what is wrong with it.

Quilting Babcia said...

Yikes, that is bad news! I hope your machine is still under warranty. Doesn't seem like it was all that long ago that you bought it. Hope your day improves! At least you're not at the dentist having a new crown put in your mouth ...

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I was thinking the same - she must still be under warrenty. I would not be a happy camper.

Dana Gaffney said...

Is this the shop where you bought the machine? If they thought it was the bobbin case why didn't they put a new one in? I think I'm angry for/with you.

Sher S. said...

not a great way to start your day. Sorry Bertha is causing you grief. Glad you have another wonderful lady to take her place to continue your sewing. If the sun is shinning then it's still a good day. Smile! we love hearing from you and can understand what you are going through. We all seem to have been there and dealt with that.

Sheila said...

Sorry to hear that you are having a bad day. I agree with Dana, big Bertha should have come home with a new bobbin case. I have a Bernina and accidentally dropped a bobbin on the carpeted floor. Everytime I try to use that bobbin, the machine gives me grief. You wouldn't think it would be that sensitive, but it is. Hope you have a better Friday :)

crazy quilter said...

Well I am quite amazed Big Bertha is giving you trouble. I would take her to an authorized Bernina dealer as they are specially trained to repair them, however your looks quite new, so it should still be under warranty. I own 3 Bernina's and have never had any trouble with any of mine....and I just ordered a new one, since I could not resist! No worries I am trading one of them in for the new one. So sorry you are having such difficulties, I feel sure you have consulted the manual for troubleshooting tips. I do wonder how did they repair the machine if they do not know what is wrong with it?

Junebug613 said...

I'm sorry to hear Big Bertha is under the weather again. That absolutely stinks that they didn't find and fix the issue the first time. Glad that you at least have Pfelicity now, and that the Janome will be going to someone who wants to sew too.

Kate said...

Sorry Big Bertha is still out of commission. Hopefully your day got better.

Diane Wild said...

Darn and double darn. Something breaks around my abode nearly every week. Fortunately, not the sewing machine (knock-knock). Hope I didn't jinx it. Stay away from the grocery store. Nothing but comfort food ahead at this stage of the game.

Barb H said...

So sorry about your machine--I know first hand the frustration since my machine is having problems too. But really, these are "first world problems," (as my daughters would say) right? None of them are life threatening and eventually will be fixed. Let's hope it's soon so we can get on with our quilting!

Denise :) said...

Is BB your Bernina? Ugh. I have a Janome that I've been loathe to give up because I think I need a backup machine because I'm afraid of my Bernina. LOL! As you said, it's a good (albeit frustrating) day! First World Problems! :)

sophie said...

I feel your pain. I had a similar problem last year and, fortunately for me, when I blogged about it, someone suggested an alternate dealer. I hope you get some similar help.

... and while I have your attention, my email to you is failing with an (account closed) message. I guess I need to update your email address on my Block Lotto list--could you email me? Thanks.

Julianne said...

Oh Barbara, that sucks! At least you have your new baby to keep you piecing!

Brown Family said...

Your bobbin won't stay in and mine won't turn. I think they have been talking! Our Bernina shop is doing the trade in and you can get up to $500 dollars off on another machine. Too bad whey won't let me get accessories!

ipatchandquilt said...

My janome horizon was giving me lroblems too. After replacing the bobbin case it seems to be fine now.... i hope!
Esther