Monday I made two more blocks for the Yard Art quilt. Here's what I have so far.
Sadly, I'm going to have to remake the palm tree block I made on Monday because I turned the background piece 90 degrees when I did the applique. I kept wondering why it wasn't fitting right, and I deluded myself into thinking that I must have cut the background pieces larger, and then trimmed them to size. It made sense until I went to trim them, and then realized they were already the right size. And since the applique is fused and top-stitched, there really is no way to fix it without redoing it. I could try, but it would probably be faster just to redo it. Bummer. I hate it when that happens. Makes me want to chuck the whole project; but then, that seems like overkill. Almost literally. I'll save that for another time when I'm not so mad at it.
So, as I said, I wanted to do a "not quilting" project, and yesterday I decided to try my hand at a sock monkey. So serious am I about sock monkeys that I actually went to the authentic sock monkey website and sprung for the original book
and the original Red Heel socks. They come in several colors. I chose blue and brown.
They come two pair to a packet, and it takes two socks to make one monkey.
I found this very reassuring since I'm thinking it will probably take me four socks to make one monkey. Oh, and here's something you don't see every day:
When I saw that, I dropped everything, jumped up, and sang God Bless America right there in my sewing room. Really. I do a great impression of Kate Smith [in my mind].
I'm using the pack of poly-fil that I bought about thirty years ago. It seems I've used it and used it and used it, and the bag is still full. Query: Does "premium" polyester seem like an oxymoron to you? I wouldn't think polyester would come in grades, let alone "premium". But there I go being all organic again.
Anyway, I was a little disappointed in the book. Despite giving instructions, it isn't very instructive. It sort of gives one sentence per 12 (or so) steps. Being a dunce, I need a little more than that. Still, I am muddling through. Here is his basic body.
I'm going to swap out that red ribbon for some red yarn, but I wanted to see how he was looking. Then I moved on to the tail, and I had a bit of trouble with that. The instructions told me to cut a one-inch wide strip from the entire length of the 2nd sock. Trouble is, one inch is too narrow and the "entire length of the sock" is too long. It was impossible to turn it the right side out after sewing the seam, let alone stuffing it. I ended up cutting off half of it, and then it was a lot easier, if a little bit too skinny.
It was tempting to use one of the emergency back-up socks to make another tail, but I think I'll just leave it the way it is. I think this might actually be a spider monkey.
I figure it you mess something up, you can remedy the situation by just deciding to make something different mid-stream. Now. Wanna see a monkey butt?
There you go. Wouldn't it be fun if all our butts looked like that?
Speaking of butts, I checked in with my Curves Coach yesterday. I've been on the diet for four weeks now, and so it was time to do measurements. I didn't lose any weight this week, which was moderately disappointing, although not unexpected. I've been a little lackadaisical on my diet observance this past week. Time to get back on the horse...or monkey...whichever you prefer. At least I didn't gain any weight. Nevertheless, I have lost 8.2 inches from my measurements, which was pretty good.
So that's the way it is at the Three Cats Ranch. Say that the way Walter Cronkite would have. (And please tell me you're old enough to remember Walter Cronkite.) I'm off to get my monthly pedicure, which my soul needs at least as much as my feet do. And just to ruin the mood, I'm off to the grocery store after that. Don't know if I'll give sock monkey any attention today or not.
Oh yes, and don't forget! The linky party starts tomorrow. Casual attire. Pajamas preferred.