11/14/12

Recipe Test: Porter Braised Short Ribs

So in my post earlier today, I said I was going to try a new recipe for Porter Braised Short Ribs.  True to my word, I did make it for dinner tonight.


It turned out very good, and man, did it ever make the house smell good.  I can recommend it, but I do have a few things to say about it.  

First of all, we both agreed that the stout ale I used to make mine was too bitter.  I'm not a beer drinker myself, and so I can't say what it is I'm tasting when I taste beer.  Mike's beer taster is more refined, and he says it is the flavor of the hops in the ale that is too strong.  The recipe suggests using Deschutes Black Butte Porter, which is an Oregon beer.



I used Obsidian Stout, also brewed at the Deschutes Brewery in Oregon.  It's what I had on hand, and so that's what I used.


Mike explains that the Obsidian Stout is fairly bitter, and he believes the "off" flavor we are both tasting is probably from the stout ale.  If I were going to make this again (and I will), I would choose to use the Black Butte Porter or even just a cheap lager beer.  It was still very good.  I just think the flavor would be improved with a less forward tasting beer.  On the other hand, if you like stout ale, by all means use it.

Secondly, I asked myself if this could have been made with a boneless chuck roast (my usual choice for Dutch oven meals).  I used the suggested beef short ribs.  I definitely think the short ribs were the better choice.  They were rich and flavorful.  Once they had braised for 3 hours, the bones fell away from the meat with ease.  The bones probably went a long way toward flavoring the rich broth, and so I definitely would recommend using them.

Finally, I served it with a crusty bread, and that was essential for sopping up all the yummy broth.  I just drizzle mine with olive oil, sprinkle it with salt and pepper and then toast it in the toaster oven.  I could have made a meal of bread and broth alone.

So there you go.  A good recipe that warmed our tummies and our spirits on a rather chilly day.

While that was cooking away, I made a stab at the next door in my Doors of Ireland quilt.  This is the door I'm attempting now.


The mess I made flailing about in my sewing room would indicate I got further on it than I did.


But this is as far as I got.


The red brick fabric is just my foundation piece, and most of it will be covered up with other fabrics.  I still have a long way to go on this.  These pieces are intimidating to me because I'm not accustomed to working from photographs, and I'm strictly a novice at anything that might even remotely be considered an art quilt.  Getting started is half the battle.  

Tomorrow I have to drop Gracie off at the vet in the morning to have her urine checked again.  She has just a few days left on her antibiotics, and we want to make sure her bladder infection is cleared up before she finishes up the course.  She's doing so much better, however.  Her problem with not using her litter box has ended, and she's been much more energetic and perky.  She's even been friendlier and more accommodating to Smitty, who can pester her unmercifully at times.  

So I'm dropping her off and then going for a swim, and then I'll have some time to work on this tomorrow afternoon.  I'm hoping to get all the pieces fused and then I'll start on the top-stitching.

3 comments from clever and witty friends:

Denise :) said...

Thank you for your words on the short ribs...noted and will proceed accordingly! The Ireland Doors would intimidate me. Definitely. Glad to hear Gracie is feeling better -- hope her checkup goes well and your day is phenomenal! :)

Lynda Halliger-Otvos said...

Antibiotics made Gracie less aggressive; interesting. We have a neighbor who did a course of prednisone and it changed her into a less aggressive and contentious woman. Fascinating how people change with meds.

LynCC said...

So glad Gracie's acting like she feels better. :) And, yeah! Getting started is the hardest part when something's a challenge. You are doing such a great job with these Irish cottages, though. Had to be tricky cutting out the quoining on the sides of the door and the corner.