2/4/12

Saturday's Blocks

Although I feel as if I sat around for most of the day, I actually accomplished quite a bit.  First, there was my little baking project this morning.  After that, I took apart another row of Mother Goose blocks.  Except for the one on top, these will all need minor repair on the embroidery.

There are only five more of these to separate, and then I'll be able to start repairing the embroidery and trimming the blocks before setting them into a quilt.

After that, I turned my attention to the February We Bee Learning bee block.  When I was a little girl, my sock monkey was my favorite toy.  When I was looking for a small scrap to use for the center piece of this log cabin block, the choice was obvious.


Then I worked on Block 12 for the Just Takes 2 quilt.  I like this block.  It took forever to make, however, because it is paper pieced.  I like the look of paper-piecing.  It's the best way to get those nice sharp points.  Nevertheless, I find it a slow and tedious way to work.


Did you know you can repair your foundation paper if you mess up?  Not that I ever mess up, you understand.  Use some of this Post-it Labeling and Cover-up tape.  It's really just paper tape made by 3M.  You use it like a post-it note, but the sticky is over the whole surface.


When you realize you've made a mistake, you can carefully remove the paper from the fabric prior to your frog sewing.  Stick the tape over the lines where you've perforated the pattern with your sewing.


Because it's made of paper rather than plastic or cellophane, you'll be able to sew through it as if it weren't there.  See? 

Good as new. 

The only place I've found this tape is at Staples.  If you have a hard time finding it, I'm imagining that paper first-aid tape would work just as well.  You can get that at any pharmacy.  I haven't tried it, however, so I'm not making any promises about it.  I know the Post-it tape works.

Tomorrow my plan is to finish up Block 13 for the Just Takes 2 quilt.  It's just a row of flying geese . . . paper-pieced again.  (Sigh.)  After that I'm hoping to get started on my first official February NewFO project.

I'll be linking this post to:




How did your Saturday go?

7 comments:

WoolenSails said...

You certainly got a lot done today, I did some cleaning and a little sewing. Starting to get my energy back, so hopefully I can finish up my projects.

Debbie

Teresa in Music City said...

Just love your little monkey sock block!!!

Somewhere along the line I learned to use Scotch Matte-finish Removable tape in the blue package for mending paper-piecing mistakes. It will not gum up your needle. Staples is the only place I have found that also. I'll have to try this tape to see which one I like better.

Wendy said...

Wow, I love your paper pieced block. I agree, it's a bit tedious to paper piece but I too love the look. Also, I vaguely remember you talking about the Mother Goose blocks, I can't remember...are you restoring an old quilt?

LeAnne said...

Have you tried paperless paper piecing? You print your block on freezer paper, iron your first piece on, fold on the stitching lines, fold the paper out of the way and stitch right next to the stitching line. That way you never have to tear off all that paper. Our guild's raffle quilt was done this way. You might have seen it if you went to the NW Quilt Expo in September. http://www.umpquavalleyquilters.com/quiltshow.php

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

You are a busy bee. I can't believe it's Monday almost again. I'll have to see if I can get something finished to post...yikes!

Mrs.Pickles said...

great blocks, That sock monkey is lovely! Thanks for the tip too although i never mess up either it would be good to have around...LOL

Lynette said...

What a pretty R&W block, Barbara! I know just what you mean about paper piecing - it's a love/hate relationship, for sure. I *love* what it accomplishes, but have to step into a different mindframe to do all that folding, placing, and removing. Still - it's a lot easier than template piecing for many things!