1/8/12

Just Takes 2 Blocks 1 - 6

Yesterday and today I worked on the first six blocks for the Just Takes 2 quilt.  And let me tell you that I've had plenty of help.  Actually, Gracie just wants to know when I'm going to help her with the quilt she wants to make.


In December, I ordered the fabric I wanted to use for this quilt.  I was quite taken with the colors in this swap block I made last month. 



Sadly, I only had a fat quarter of the red and white fabric in the center square.  I liked it so much that I hunted down more of it.  Also, I needed more red because I've used up almost all of my red solid.  I'm pairing these up with a solid white.



It finally arrived on Thursday, and I went straight to work.  First, I had to run those two red batiks through the washer.  The red and white on the right only needed one washing to convince me it wouldn't bleed.  The red one on the left required nine(!) washings before I was sure the color was set.  That is a new record for me.

So these blocks went together so quickly and easily, and I am just loving how these are turning out.  The instructions are for needle turn applique, but I'm more comfortable with fusible, and so that's what I'm doing.



As much as possible, I want to use both reds in each block, but sometimes I think it makes sense to choose one or the other.



I learned a very cool new method for doing these quarter square triangles . . . totally new to me, and it was so easy.  Maybe I'll do a tutorial and show you one of these days.  Who would like that?


I love these hearts.   
Just to give you some scale, here are all the blocks together.  The fourth block is quite a bit larger than the others.  The rest are 6 1/2 inches unfinished.

I'm thinking about my own name for this quilt. I'm thinking something having to do with peppermint . . . like Peppermint Patty or Peppermint Candy or Peppermint Tea. What do you think?

What a nice day I've had!  I got to engage in two of my passions:  quilting and photography.  And as I glance out my window as I write this, there is a beautiful full moon rising.  A lovely way to end a lovely day.  I hope your weekend was as enjoyable. 

8 comments:

Sue Daurio said...

Your red is fabulous. I have so many different reds but none like that. Hmm maybe time to go shopping :) Great blocks!!

sophie said...

Those reds are DELICIOUS ... no wonder you have a peppermint name in mind. Your applique looks great, too ;-)

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Gorgeous reds! And look at all those beautiful blocks you have created!!

Needled Mom said...

It sounds like a perfect day and you got some great looking blocks at the end of it!

quiltzyx said...

You're speeding right along with these blocks!
I think I like Peppermint Patty...so far...heeheehee!

Sarah said...

Your blocks looks great! I once made a red/white/black table runner and the red didn't bleed until the second time I washed it. I was not a happy camper. Do you wash your fabrics with a Retayne style sheet or just soap and water?

LethargicLass said...

I would be interested in a tutorial for sure please :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Red is my favorite color. Love those blocks. Washing reds always scares me. Color catchers just aren't enough.