12/1/11

Critters


We've had a bobcat hanging around our field for over a year now.  There were bobcat sightings in our area for a long time, but I never believed it until I saw him/her for myself.  Now we aren't sure if there is one or two since it/they appear larger or smaller at various times.  We never see them together, and so I'm not convinced yet that it isn't a single big cat.

When we saw it yesterday, it had some sort of rodent as big as a squirrel (but not a squirrel) in its mouth.  This morning it hung out in a shady spot at the bottom of the field for the longest time.


We think it might have been on the hunt for another tasty morsel because it started digging before ambling off out of sight.  I wish it would come closer so that I could get a better picture.  Yesterday, it was right outside . . . very close.  But aren't those the times when you never have the camera ready?  Besides, if I went outside, I'm sure it would vanish instantly.  Any picture that close would have to be taken through a window, and those never turn out very well.

This is one of the things I love most about where we live.  We often see interesting wildlife.  Yesterday there was a doe hanging around for the longest time.  Mike was out feeding the birds when he happened upon her.  She was grazing on the grass.  They looked at one another, and Mike talked to her for a while before heading off around the house to collect the bird feeders.  She followed him!  And when I came home half an hour later, she was still there.  It makes me wonder if someone  somewhere is feeding her.  She seemed unafraid.

I have an old bag of carrots in the refrigerator.  I think I'll put it out for her.  In fact, I think I'll do that right now.

6 comments:

Aliene said...

Maybe that bobcat senses there is a cat lover close by. He/she may want to get in on the goods that pets get.
Just might be a Christmas cat. Who knows? Just don't get too close.

WoolenSails said...

How wonderful to see him, would be afraid to let my kitties out though. I keep them in, but every so often Izzy gets out.

Debbie

Jen said...

I love that picture you took. You got him just right. I really admired it last time you posted it too, but I don't think I commented.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

How wonderful to have such beauty right outside your door. I'm quite envious. Thanks for sharing the great photos.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

It is amazing. Had one walk through my yard a year or so ago. He didn't stop and I was happy he passed on through....grin.

Leanne said...

Oh wow that would be awesome to have a bobcat in back yard. We don't have a lot of wild, wild animals here in NZ.

Love Leanne