8/25/11

Blue on Blue

My "Winter Wonderland" quilt top is finished!


As I stood back looking at it, I couldn't help recalling the first time I laid eyes on it in a quilt shop.  It was done in red, and it was love at first sight.  Still . . . all that embroidery!  I would see it hanging in a quilt shop three more times before I finally bought the pattern.  Every time I saw it, I fell in love all over again.  When the shop owner suggested doing it in blue, resistance became futile.  Getting it home and actually doing all the embroidery was another matter. 

Setting it up as my own personal BOM definitely helped.  I could envision embroidering each block one at a time.  Trying to envision embroidering the entire quilt was overwhelming, and I didn't even want to start on it.  The embroidery wasn't bad, however.  I've enjoyed it enough that I'm now working on another one, and I have two more on my to-do list.  Finishing a quilt like this makes me feel as if nothing is out of reach quilt-wise (although I'm sure there are quite a lot of quilts that are, indeed, out of reach).

This is the fabric I'm using for the back (which I still need to make).


I bought this at a quilt shop someplace in New Mexico, as I recall.  The woman who cut it for me was so friendly. 

And these are the two fabrics I'm thinking of for the binding.  The polka dots on the right are the same ones used in the inner border.  The batik on the left is the other option.  I'm putting a poll at the top of my left side bar that I'll leave open until a week from today.  What's your vote?



Let me know what you think!  I'll report the results next week. 

13 comments:

Kritta22 said...

I voted for polka dots!

Good job I'm finishing this. I think any complete project is awesome!

Where in new Mexico? I'm in need of a friendly cutter.

Yvette said...

It is gorgeous!! Way to go for finishing it.

I went to a quilt shop in New Mexico last summer and the people there were so nice!

Anonymous said...

I LIKE THE SOLID BEST! IT WILL REALLY FRAME+SET IT OFF!
HAPPY QUILTING!

jldouglas@wispwest.net

Pat said...

I can see why you fell in love with it. It's beautiful!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your quilt top is amazing! You definitely have an heirloom quilt there :)

Jen said...

It's so pretty! I would be so proud to put that out at Xmas! Love the backing, that's perfect :)

quiltzyx said...

I just love how all the star blocks now look like falling snowflakes!

Kate said...

Beautiful quilt! The blue stars with the embroidery are so pretty. You did a beautful job. You are keeping that one for yourself?

Anonymous said...

I love the polka dots. I saw this done in red & really want to buy it.

Gladys said...

I like batik so much! Yo did a great job! Congrats! A hug!

Laine said...

Love your backing fabric. I would go for the polka dots since it matches your inner border. I made this exact quilt also in blues. I'd say it took me about a year and a half to get it finished but I love it. I love your idea of making it your own block of the month. I just finished the Over the River by Crabapple Hill and have a Halloween one to do which I may just use your idea to help me get it done. Thanks.

Lynette said...

oooo - I'm so impressed with how quickly you finished this quilt top!! And I LOVE your backing fabric!

Judee said...

What a great project! Your patience with the stitchery is to be commended. I am having a hard time deciding which fabric would be best.