4/7/11

Making Progress Slowly but Surely

I started working on the final border of my Ribbit, Ribbit quilt this afternoon.  My, oh my.  It is time and thread-consuming work.  I spent hours just getting the first side done, and I'm nearly out of thread.  I don't think I have enough to finish.  I have another spool on order, but I haven't received it yet.  This is the design that Leah Day calls "Wiggly Woven Lines."  I decided against the design I'd chosen originally, thinking this was the more time-intensive, but better choice.  Here's what it looks like on my quilt:


I intentionally chose a thread that would be difficult to see.  It's a little easier to see it on the back.



I think if I were going to do this again, I would exaggerate and make the curves farther apart.  As it is, it often seems as if the curves are lost, and I'm pretty much just stitching in a straight line.  I'm happy with it as it is, however.  The whole project has been a learning experience, after all.  I have learned a lot in the process, not the least of which being how much thread it consumes.  It's not a large quilt, but I've nearly used an entire spool.  Now I understand the value of cones.  I don't know a good resource for the colors that I like, however.  Any input is appreciated. 

I was hoping to get the quilting finished this week.  After seeing how much time it took to do just one side, I'm thinking it won't be finished until next week.  I had to give myself a talking to today about how distressed I feel about my unfinished projects.  It's supposed to be fun, and there is no one breathing down my neck except me.  I'm not sure why I feel such an urgency to get everything done, and right now.  Better to sit back and enjoy the process.  Okay.  So I will.

I think before going any further I need to straighten up the sewing room.  When I moved my sewing machine from it's usual "nook" to the ping pong table, I sort of piled everything else up where there was space.   I don't like working in a messy room, and I think that's part of the reason it feels so oppressive.  Once I have that done, I'll feel more relaxed--at least, I think I will.  I have to say that this project has been very empowering for all the gnashing of teeth I've done over it.  I'm thinking I could get to like free motion quilting if I continue to do more of it.

4 comments:

Kate said...

The quilting looks great! I hope you can sit back and enjoy what you are doing. I think we all get that way, we want it done. Even if we are the only ones that feel that way.

quiltzyx said...

I'm with Kate, the quilting does look great!

Now...

don't forget to B*R*E*A*T*H*E!

Unknown said...

The quilting on this one may be stressful for you, but it looks great! It's hard to believe you aren't more experienced at it than you claim to be.

We've had hail and snow today southwest of Eugene, but thankfully, none of it stuck.

LethargicLass said...

I think the quilting certainly looks wiggly enough :)