2/16/11

Quilt Shop: Sew What's New

I had so much fun visiting the quilt shops in Las Cruces today.  I was out without Mike, and so I had to find these places on my own.  I got a little turned around at this first one, and didn't see it right away.  When I finally spotted it, I was already wigged out enough that I forgot to take any pictures.  And they don't have a website.  Bummer.  Oh well.  I enjoyed it just the same.

Sew What's New is located in a shopping center on the east side of town at the foot of the Organ Mountains.  This range is so beautiful that it's easy to see why people settled here. 

When I walked in, there were about half a dozen women sitting at a table eating lunch.  One approached me immediately and she was as friendly as could be.  I noticed a poster from the 2010 Sisters Oregon Quilt Show that I attended last year.  I have the same poster on the wall of my sewing room.  When they learned I was from (near) Portland, they were so excited about my having been to Fabric Depot.  It was really kind of funny, and certainly a welcoming conversation.

Then the conversation stopped.............................

I felt so uncomfortable as I wandered through the store looking at fabric while they all sat munching silently.  Eventually, the conversation picked up again, but it continued to be awkward.  No wonder I forgot to take any pictures while I was there.  I felt as if they were watching my every move.  I don't mean this as a criticism of them.  I just mean that I felt immensely uncomfortable and it made me want to hurry up and leave.

While the women couldn't have been friendlier, the store wasn't terribly exciting.  They had a moderate amount of fabric, but nothing that really lit my fire.  They had a couple of interesting patterns, and I got this one, from a designer out of Albuquerque.  I saw this one made up in all three of the quilt shops I visited today, but not into a whole quilt.  Just a few of the blocks had been made into table runners, and it could also be made into placemats.  I think my daughter-in-law would like this in a table runner, and so that's probably what I'll end up doing with it.  The blocks were bright and colorful.  I liked it a lot.



I know I said I wasn't going to buy any more fabric for my Peaches and Dreams quilt, but I ended up getting some of this anyway.  It was the only thing I saw that I really had any desire for.


Except for the women being so friendly and welcoming, there wasn't much that excited me about this store.  They did have a large selection of sewing machines and thread, however.  If you were to find yourself in Las Cruces and in need of some hardware or thread, this would be a good place to try. 

I doubt I'd go back again just because there was nothing unique about the store.  It was worth the visit, however, and I'm glad I went.  I give them four rotary cutters out of five, and I'd encourage you to check it out if you get a chance.

1 comment:

Kritta22 said...

They are the only Viking store in our area so that's who I got to for that. But I agree....it's mostly for embordiary fabrics and threads.