2/16/11

Quilt Shop: Bernina Sewing & Design

The second shop I visited while in Las Cruces was Bernina Sewing & Design.  This one was thankfully easy to find and easy to see from the main drag through town. 


Since I have a Bernina 440QE sewing machine, I'm always glad to know where the Bernina authorized dealer is in a town like this.  And the welcome in this store was every bit as friendly as the previous store.  Las Cruces is not a large city, and yet there are three large and well-stocked quilt shops in town.  I can only think that there must be a lot of quilters to be able to support these stores.  Either that, or the women are just so friendly that it becomes a place to socialize and hang out.  There were several women in this store, and as I listened to them converse with the employees, it was clear that this was a supportive environment to learn and to design.

The store was very nice, with the sewing machines and other equipment in the front.  There was a small room off to the side that appeared to be a repair shop, and in the back was a large classroom with a nice selection of sale fabrics.  (I didn't see anything that appealed to me in that section, unfortunately.  I can't buy Christmas fabrics in February.)


They had a nice selection of batiks and quite a few southwest style fabrics.  I settled on this one:



Also, I picked up a fat quarter for my Peaches and Dreams quilt (so much for not buying any more of these):


I kind of liked that this one was more pastel than the others I've chosen.  And also, I got another for my Winter Wonderland bluework quilt.  I liked this one since it could sort of pass visually for a white:


When they learned I was from Oregon, they were so glad to see me that they gave me this fat quarter for free!


I'm collecting a nice assortment of southwest prints!

I liked this shop a lot.  It's certainly worth a return visit some day, and it's good to know where the authorized dealer for my sewing machine is if I need to find one.  I would encourage you to stop in if you find yourself in Las Cruces.  I give this shop five rotary cutters out of five.

No comments: