1/28/11

Traveling Gourmet--Apple Sandwich

This is kind of a no-brainer, but I didn't think of it until I saw the recipe in Martha Stewart Living.  It's a great light meal, especially in warm weather, and it's also a good way to get some fruit and cheese into a child.  Good for big kids too!

We're still working on the avocados we bought last week from the kids by the side of the road.  They are so tasty!  We haven't had good avocados in years, and so we've really enjoyed these.  The ones in Oregon are picked so green that they never really ripen.  When they do they're usually bruised and stringy.  Definitely not good for much other than guacamole.  These have been so buttery and perfectly unblemished.  All of that to say that I've been making a side salad that Mike's mother used to make.  I don't know if it was her invention, but she's the only person I've ever known who makes it.

You take some canned pink grapefruit (which generally comes in a jar in the produce section now).  You can also use fresh, but you'll have to peel and section the grapefruit.  It's easy enough to do with a sharp paring knife.  You plop some of the sections in a small bowl, then top it with hunks of avocado.  Then you put a little Russian or Catalina salad dressing on it.  It doesn't sound good, but it really is.  I like it so much I used to take some of Mike's Dad's avocados to work mixed up in this salad and eat them for lunch.  The acid in the grapefruit keeps the avocado from discoloring.  If you're a fan of grapefruit and/or avocado separately, try mixing it up into this salad.  Yummy!

1 comment:

quiltzyx said...

The Grilled Cheese & Apple sandwich really sounds good. One night when I didn't really feel like making anything big for dinner, but didn't want just grilled cheese, I was staring into the fridge & spied some apricot jam. Thinking about how good apples & cheese are, I figured, what the heck? Spread one side of the sandwich with the jam & used a nice chedder on the other & into the pan! Now I can hardly remember just having a "plain" grilled cheese! I will definitely try the fresh apples now too.
Happy Trails.....