1/25/11

Product Review: Mary Ellen's Best Press

I told you I would let you know how I like the Mary Ellen's Best Press after I'd used it.  At first, I didn't think it was going to give me the stiffness that I liked.  After using it a few times, I think it works fine.  I worked on some blocks yesterday that had little triangles, and they went together nicely.


I purchased this at a quilt shop the other day.  I didn't bring any spray starch from home, and so I thought I'd give it a try.  I didn't like the idea of using starch in the trailer because, in my experience, it has a strong odor and it flakes and leaves residue all over everything.  The bottle of Mary Ellen's suggested that it didn't have the drawbacks of starch, and so I decided to give it a try.  I know that others like it too.

I'm very happy with this product.  It provides the stiffening that I like from starch without any of the mess or smell.  It comes in different scents, but I chose the unscented.  It has no odor whatsoever.  I haven't had any problems with flaking or leaving a residue behind, and so . . . mission accomplished! 

The one drawback is that it is pretty expensive.  A small bottle was almost $5.  It does come in larger refill sizes, but it's still more expensive than the starch mixture that I make at home using bottled starch and water.  I don't know if I can justify paying the price when we're not traveling, but in our relatively small airtight trailer, it's definitely worth it.  I was hoping to find a "recipe" online, but the only ones I could find had starch in them (which kind of defeats the purpose).  Maybe one of you knows a recipe.  If so, please . . . do tell!

2 comments:

❦Bayside Gal❦ said...

I am glad that you like Mary Ellen's Best Press. I use it all the time. I know it is expensive, but I buy it when I have a 50% Coupon from JoAnn's. Have a great week, Jean

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

The ad firm that thought of the 50 and 40 percent off coupons at JoAnns had a stroke of genius and have drawn me in numerous times.