11/1/10

Design Wall Monday--November 1, 2010

November already!  I guess that's as good a time as any to take a break from my regular projects and do some Christmas projects.  Last week, I started my pocket hand warmers.  I still want to make three more pairs of those.  But this week, I spent almost all of my time working on this project for my neighbor, Jan.  I should have it finished some time today.

This project is different from any other I've ever done.  I blogged about the process in a previous post.  I found the pattern in the December issue of Quilter's World magazine.  It was so perfect for Jan that I decided to drop everything and make it for her.  Since my previous post, I worked on the applique, which had to be enlarged by 450%.


I buy fusing medium by the bolt, and so I had a nice big sheet to work with.  Except for the tippy-top-tip of the tree, I was able to get it all on one sheet.  Cutting it and getting it laid out evenly and like the picture in the pattern was a little dicey, but I managed to get it done.



The instructions told me to bind it first though.  I can't say enough good things about the new Cut-Rite Bind Up  tool I'm using now to finish my bindings.  The problems I was having with them are a thing of the past.

Today, I added Angelina fibers to it, and stitched it down.  I've never worked with Angelina fibers, and so that was a bit of a challenge.  (And my sewing room is absolutely sparkling now!  I'd like to say it's sparkling clean, but that's not exactly what I mean.)  I think I made it much harder on myself than I needed to, but I also think I did pretty well for a first try.



And here's where I left it.  I still need to fuse and stitch down the snowflakes.  The larger ones have crystals on them too--another technique that is completely new to me.



I still want to put a label on it too.  I have a cute one in mind.

And now I'd like to see what all of you have done!  Till next time, take care.

12 comments:

Tamera said...

Wow! That is really lovely!

Denise :) said...

I love the touch of the Angelina fibers!! How pretty this is! :)

Chris said...

That is just wonderful. I love the effect of the fibers.

Mommarock said...

Wow! I mean WOW! I love the sparkle in that! It really says something special. I love that!

Teaquilts said...

That's unbelievable! I've used angelina fibers before but never like that. It is really neat how that worked. Thanks for sharing.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Stunning!!! And the Cut-Rite Bind Up is on my Christmas wish list.

Kathie said...

oh how nice and different than anything I have seen. Great job

Gari in AL said...

What a beautiful gift. Stunning.

Cyndi said...

That is absolutely beautiful, Barbara! Your friend Jan is going to be thrilled!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Rabid Quilter from California said...

What a great project and so nice of you to make it for a friend. LOVE it!

Kate said...

Wow! Very beautiful!

SJSM said...

Nice! Nice! Nice!