11/10/10

Back in Business

Although I was disappointed this morning when my promised sewing machine wasn't ready, I did get it back this afternoon and I am up and running again.  I'm glad I took the time to have the maintenance done.  I had suspected the tension was out of adjustment, and it was.  My stitches are really looking nice now.  I hadn't been able to adjust it enough to keep the bobbin thread from showing through on the top.  The thread was barely visible, but if I was using a different color in the bobbin, it was obviously showing on top.  It was certainly worth waiting another several hours to have that corrected.

And it hums so quietly now.  I have been careful with my machine and have kept it well-oiled.  Whenever it started seeming clattery to me (I think I just made up that word:  "clattery"), I oiled it and it was quieter.  Now, it's very, very quiet.  I bought my machine as a demo, and I got a really good deal on it with a full warranty.  I don't think it was as quiet when I first brought it home.

I'm pretty happy with this shop I found.  I live in the country, and so almost nothing is close by.  This place is 20 minutes away, which is quite a treat.  I almost enjoyed having to make a special trip back this afternoon just because the drive was so short!  Also, the guy who owns the shop is the same guy who goes around to the various quilt shops servicing Bernina machines.  It was nice to be able to patronize his personal business rather than making him split the profits with a quilt shop.

Anybody else putting off maintenance like I was because you can't stand to be away from your machine even for a few days?  Believe me, it was worth it.  I got caught up on my magazines and some hated household chores.  I typed some recipes into my recipe database that have been sitting for months.  So, with all that done, I can spend the whole day sewing tomorrow. 

I've started sewing my Spring Sampler quilt together.  I think it's going to be very pretty.  Maybe I can get it all assembled for a picture tomorrow.  Stay tuned....

1 comment:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Glad to hear you have your machine back home! Mine is due to go in for service in a couple of months. Luckily for me I have an old back-up machine I use when my favorite away getting spruced up.