7/23/10

The Cats of the Three Cats Ranch

If this blog is going to be about cats and quilts, I guess I should say something about my cats.  George and Gracie are litter mates.  We adopted them when they were about six months old.  They had been abandoned in the woods, and a friend happened upon them.  We agreed to take them in.

My husband and I were married more than 35 years ago.  In that time, we've had 11 cats.  We've loved all of our cats.  They've been as different as people are different.  These two are special.  They're timid, but curious.  Independent, but snugglers.  George likes to go for walks around our property.  He gets so excited that he can hardly contain himself, and he jumps up and hugs me around my leg.  I wrote this sonnet about him (in iambic pentameter, no less) when I took a poetry class not too long ago.

Catwalk


I like to take my cat when I explore
He shows me where he goes when he’s away
He treats me to a bit of kitty lore
And tells me how he likes to spend his day.

He tells me of the many sights he sees
Because the woods are filled with wildebeests
And when he brings these creatures to their knees
That’s when he will enjoy the best of feasts.

I’ve noticed when I walk day after day
That I feel very safe and free of fear
Could it be that my cat has cleared the way
That I may walk my land without a care?

I’m very fortunate to have a cat
Who wears the brave and fearless warrior's hat.
(Copyright, BJS)

We call our place the "Three Cats Ranch" because we had three cats until recently. We lost our little Krissy a few months ago at age 19, and we still miss her.


She was the matriarch of the bunch.  She called the shots and wouldn't hesitate to box somebody's ears if they got out of line.  When we went traveling in our RV, she was first in line to get out on the leash and explore.  She loved meeting new people and having them fawn over her and tell her how beautiful she was.  She liked going for rides in my husband's truck, and she sat on the center console looking at the scenery passing by. 

She was a "talker," and a good companion.  She helped me through a life-threatening illness by sitting on my lap, soothingly, while I drank my afternoon tea.  She was with us from when she was a kitten, which ended up being longer than either of our now-grown children lived with us.  We still call our place the the Three Cats Ranch.  It seems a fitting rememberance for a good friend.  This is the quilt I was making when she died, and I dedicated it to her.




Rest in Peace, Gingerbread Cat.

I'll say more about my kitties from time to time, but for now I'll just introduce them.


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Irina said...

Hello Barbara,
I can't stop reading your blog! I really like it!
I share your love for cats, and I'm sorry to hear you lost Krissy recently. What a beautiful cat!
I've got 2 cats, both rescued, Haggis is about 7 years old and was in very bad shape, he's a warrior. The vet took most of his teeth out 2 days ago because of a bad infection.
Sooty was found when she was only about 4 months, black as coal, keeps Haggis amused and keeps him company.
I'll keeo reading you!

SJSM said...

I always wondered who was the third cat. Krissy sounds like a cat I could easily love. Just from your description I feel sad for not meeting such a magnificent cat.