5/21/12

Home Is Where the Heart Is Comes Home

This morning I picked up the Home is Where the Heart is quilt from my quilter.  Oh my goodness!  Quilter Erin did such a beautiful job on it.  I pretty much left it in her hands with just a few instructions.  It's a very large quilt, and so I'm not going to try to photograph the whole thing until it's bound and I have Mike at home to help me.  It will require moving the furniture around and setting the camera on a tripod.  If I'm going to do all that, the whole thing needs to be finished.

Here is a before quilting image I took when it was lying out on the floor.  As I said, it's a very large quilt.  Impossible to get into a single image this way.  It needs to be held up and shot straight on.  I'll take a better picture of it once it's bound.  And, this being Oregon, we are back to our rainy weather.  I would like to have had better light for these images, but the weather doesn't respond to my commands.  I'm working on getting it better trained.



HowEVER, I can show you the individual blocks.  I took this quilt to Erin because I knew her to be very artistic.  To remind you, this quilt was a block of the month, with each block representing a month.  Each block also has a heart featured somewhere on it.  I asked Erin to take some element from each block and incorporate it into the quilting.  So from January through December, here are the individual blocks:

January


February


March


April


She quilted some Easter eggs into the April block.  Cute.


May


June


July


August


September


October


She quilted some bats into the sky in the October block.  Love it.


November


This was the only one of the blocks that I requested something special.  There are turkey tracks quilted onto the sky.  Can you see them?


December.


One other request I made was to put some sort of heart motif into the borders.  I really didn't know what she would do.  It turned out so much prettier than I ever imagined.  She quilted a sort of feathered heart onto each of the log cabin blocks.


It's easier to see from the back.  Isn't this pretty?


So now it's my job again to finish the quilt binding.  My quilts that need quilting and binding are stacking up!  Better get busy on some of them.

I'll be whooping it up at:  





24 comments:

Judy1522 said...

Your quilt looks so amazing!

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Bowing to the MasterMaker of Quilts !~! I love this reexamination of each block and, indeed, Erin has done your work proud.

tubilinha tiacarminha said...

Olá,tenho certeza que foi as mãos de DEUS junto com as suas.Que trabalho divino ficou.Parabéns é pouco de elogio para você.Eu ador este tipo de trabalho e estou apenas engatinhado.Um beijo e que DEUS continue contigo sempre.

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Stunning blocks and fabulous quilting! What a joy that one will be to bind! If I were closer I would come over and make you start on it NOW.

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Stunning blocks and fabulous quilting! What a joy that one will be to bind! If I were closer I would come over and make you start on it NOW.

WoolenSails said...

It looks wonderful with the quilting, she did a beautiful job. I love to do the binding, but i use my border, folder back, so I just sit while I watch tv and hand stitch it to the back, nice and easy;)

Debbie

make.share.give said...

I love the individual blocks but the log cabin border is what really ties it all together. Beautiful work!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just lovely - the piecing, applique, borders and sashing - and the quilting just marries it all together. Delightful!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

It makes it come to life even more, doesn't it? Beautiful.

Diane Wild said...

This quilt is amazing. Gorgeous quilting. Love the whimsical-ness. (new word)

Kate said...

I liked it before the quilting, now not only is it beautiful, it has very rich character as well. Wonderful treasure. Does this one go up on a wall?

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful and the quilting is spectacular.

Anonymous said...

Very Nice! Glad she quilted it so nicely for you.

sandyb said...

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful and the quilting is awesome. I just love it.

Thank you for sharing it with us!!!

Teresa in Music City said...

My goodness Barbara that's just beautiful!!! I love the quilted hearts in the February block, and the bats are a hoot!!! And what can I say about the feathered hearts? Genius! Congrats to you on a great finish and to your quilter for the perfect quilting!

Mrs.Pickles said...

wow that looks amazing!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Oh my gosh, Barbara! Your quilter has added just the perfect touches to your fantastic quilt. I can't imagine how many hours were put into both the construction and the quilting. Amazing!!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt and what perfect quilting on it! Thanks for sharing!
Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

mary mahoo said...

Your quilter is amazing. She truly did justice to your work,,which is truly awe inspiring. Your quilt makes me smile!

quiltzyx said...

Quilter Erin truly did your quilt proud!

Sue Daurio said...

I love that quilt and the quilting is just wonderful!!

Kim said...

Very, very pretty. I was tempted to make this quilt, but knew I wouldn't have time to do it beautifully. So I'm delighted to see how nicely you and your quilter have done on it.

Sarah Craig said...

That is a beautiful quilt!! Your top is awesome, and the quilting is the icing on the cake! Whoop whoop!!

Quiet Quilter said...

Such detail! And the individual blocks really tell a story each month.