2/10/11

Quilt Shop: Quilter's Market

Of the three quilt shops I visited today, I think I liked this one the best.  It was also humming with activity while the other stores had been pretty much abandoned while I was there.  That tells me something.  Quilters Market was in a shopping center, but set apart in its own building.

 
I loved the rocking chairs at the doorway.  So cheerfully colored and inviting.  The shop inside was busy and stuffed with merchandise.  I can't recall a classroom, but I'm sure there was one because I held the door open for some women who were leaving with their sewing machines and projects as I entered.

They had a nice selection of fat quarters prominently displayed.  (I don't know why some shops seem to hide their fat quarters.  Sometimes I don't see them at all!)  I ended up purchasing several.  These are for my Peaches and Dreams quilt (which I won't bother showing again--you can find it on previous posts).



I think I'll avoid purchasing any more fabric for this quilt until I get home and can evaluate how much more I need.  (Please don't hold me to that.)  I just want it to have lots of different kinds of fabrics in it.  And I got this one for my Winter Wonderland quilt (and again, you can find it in a previous post).



They had a basket at the check out that had fat quarters for buy two, get one free.  This one would have been my free one:


Red onions--cute.  Then, remember the pottery fabric I showed you earlier?  This is the fabric I thought might fit together with it in the right design.  And, if not, then it'll be great in a landscape quilt I have in my head.


This is the landscape quilt that I have in mind.  I took this picture on a previous trip to Tucson when we visited Saguaro National Park West.


I think even I can make this into a landscape quilt.  It's definitely on my to-do list, and I imagine this cactus fabric will come in handy if I don't use it in a different way.

Also, I picked up this pattern.  The pattern picture doesn't do justice to the potential for this quilt.  It's a raw-edged applique, but uses no fusing medium.  It's all stitched, and the flower blocks will fray at their edges when it's washed.  The one in the shop had a black background.  It was so colorful, and I couldn't resist it.  I think it would be possible to do it as a quilt-as-you-go if I put some thought into it.

Here's the pattern:


and here's the quilt they had made from it in the shop, along with a picture of the quilting. (They also had kits available for $65--more than I wanted to spend.)  I think I can manage to quilt this on my sewing machine.





Finally, I purchased this fabric because it took my breath away with its beautiful colors.  It looks like butterfly wings to me.



There were several things I liked about this shop--things that made it unique and special.  Look at how cute they packaged up my purchases.


Also, each piece of yardage had an easy-to-remove sticker that said how much I had purchased.  When I store my fabric, I pin little notes to it so I know how much I have.  I've gone so far as to write it on the selvage, but that works less well for me.  In any case, if every shop did this, wouldn't it be so helpful?


I wondered if it would become difficult to remove if left there for a long period of time, but even if it did, those kinds of glues come off easily with a little lighter fluid, and it won't harm the fabric.  Also, because I spent over $50, I was eligible for the "charm of the month" which they give out for free.  What a nice surprise.



Sorry it's a little blurry.  It's a cloisonne patchwork heart.  Very cute.

So I was very impressed by this shop.  I give it five rotary cutters out of five.  I liked the way the shop was laid out in little rooms so that, even though the shop was busy, I felt as if I was there by myself, and I could get away from the hubbub of the shop to do my thinking and browsing.  The service was attentive and prompt.  The woman who cut my fabric rang me up without delay, and the overall feel of the shop was inviting and friendly.  I give it five rotary cutters out of five.  I will definitely go back should we find ourselves in Tucson again (and I'm sure we will).

There is one more quilt shop to visit in Tucson, and I'll get there before we leave.  I didn't get any sewing done today, but I expect we'll stay put tomorrow and I can get some done then.

4 comments:

Katie M. said...

Tucson does have some great quilt shops. I'm glad you're enjoying your visit to my part of the country.

Kathy said...

I love the French Roses quilt. That is very pretty. I love going into quilt shops in new towns. I went in one on my trip in Buellton, California that was really cute. They had an area set up for husbands to sit on a couch while their wives shopped and the bathroom was the best. It was all decorated and painted to look like an outside garden. It even had one of those little frogs that croak when you move. Too cute.

Kate said...

Great fabric finds. Very pretty orange and yellow FQs. Love the blue you picked out for the Winter Wonderland quilt and the one that looks like butterfly wings.

I'm on a no fabric diet, so thanks for sharing your new lovelies.

Irina said...

oh, you have great quilting shops in the States! how jealous!!!